Author Topic: Transformer driver topologies  (Read 528 times)

Offline rubemjrxTopic starter

Transformer driver topologies
« on: December 01, 2022, 07:51:57 am »
I have been looking into a project where I want to drive a transformer to create a power output on the secondary winding. Not really any fixed specs or anything, I'm just seeing what's acheivable for now.

I can figure out the frequencies and loads part of the problem. The thing is, I can't find find any real resources on how to actually drive the transformer from a DC supply. I have experience with controlling inverters to do field oriented AC motor control, so the first thing that comes to mind is using a full bridge, and PWM each half with opposite phase sine waves. Is this a reasonable approach? Do you have any resource recommendation so I can figure this out properly, like a textbook or a paper?

Thank you!
Rubem Bezerra.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
Re: Transformer driver topologies
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 11:03:25 am »
DC or AC output?
If it's AC output, a half- or a full bridge will do the job. Which one depends on your power levels.

Offline rubemjrxTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 12:03:59 pm »
AC output on the secondary. What would a DC output from a transformer look like?

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 07:55:18 pm »
Sorry, my phrasing was perhaps unclear.
With AC or DC I mean: do you need 50 or 60 Hz sinusoidal AC as the final output, or just DC. I'm not talking about the switching carrier frequency.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf