Author Topic: Looking for: Very flexible CAT 5E cable - where to get?  (Read 5536 times)

Offline YansiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Looking for: Very flexible CAT 5E cable - where to get?
« on: April 10, 2021, 09:43:29 am »
Hello,

I am on a hunt for some very flexible UTP CAT 5E cable. Unfortunately, it seems this is much more of a problem, than I thought.  The standard stuff you can buy everywhere is usually only good for permanent installation (single cored wires), even the stuff that is often denoted as "flexible" s just the same shit but just litz wires, but still the same hard PVC sheath.

As I simply could not find any standard UTP to be flexible enough, the only obvious choices left were either industrial cabling or the stuff that is used for touring applications.

Industrial cabling is often with a PUR (polyurethane) sheath - which is very good! Unfortunately, it is the hard for of PUR, so the cable is anything but well flexible. It can be flexed, of course, but needs mechanical support to stay in place.

I am looking for something, that would have properties of a soft microphone cable, so I then started looking for the cabling for touring applications. But there is not much of that available either.  Most of the times, these cables are also extremely expensive, crazy robust CAT6 or even CAT7 with individually shielded pairs and overall foil+braid. Which is good, if you need a long run of the cables, but I am really looking for a cheap yet flexible  UTP 5E. No shield required, as the length I need will be like 20 or 30 m maximum and with likely just 100BASE-TX.

So, after researching a bit, the only options I have found are really these, sorted price ascending:
  • Tasker C701 which is a "reasonably" priced S-FTP CAT 5E. But S-FTP means it is a thick as a CAT's dick (7 mm) even though it is just CAT 5E. Doubt the flexibility a bit, due to the amount of shielding.
  • Procab BCT50U - Seems reasonably priced UTP, but nowhere to be found in stock or to buy.
  • CANFORD "CAT5E-F CABLE". This one is FTP cable (also foil shiled which usually limits flexibility).
  • Van Damme "TOURCAT CAT 5E FLEXIBLE F/UTP" - also FTP (foil shield) cable, but very hard to find a distributor, that would sell by the meter and not ready made cables.
  • Then I found this stuff on Aliexpress (yes, I have looked even there), and only found this, with also not very reasonable price of $4 per m: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33047695477.html
  • Belden 1305A - just a CAT 5E UTP, most expensive shit I've seen, being it just a UTP with a double sheath. Also about $4-5 a meter. Yuck.

So, do I have any other options left? Apart from biting the bullet and buying an overpriced cable? And so I thought getting a flexible UTP must be easy...

(Yes, I say overpriced. Simply because a very flexible good quality microphone cable costs still well under a $ per m when bought in bulk, same goes with a litz wire UTP cable.  Don't tell me that if you shove the 4 pairs into a microphone-cable-like constructed sheath, the price will quadruple per meter. Bullshit. Thats just extortion from the companies, especially I am talking you, Belden!)

//EDIT: Edited in more cables to the list. I have found some more.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 09:51:12 am by Yansi »

Offline perdrix

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Looking for: Very flexible CAT 5E cable - where to get?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 09:51:18 am »
Microphone cable is *very* different from Cat5E, etc..  The latter are controlled impedance, controlled length twisted pairs (each pair different), and Gbit bandwidth (try stuffing that down microphone cable).

Cheap Cat5 is just that - cheap and not so good either - most will work for 10mtrs, but no way for 100mtrs. 

David

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 10:34:57 am »
I am looking for something, that would have properties of a soft microphone cable,

There are some highly flexible Cat5e cables for patch cables and industrial applications, but nothing comparable to a soft microphone cable. I agree with perdrix that such a soft cable wouldn't meet Cat5e specs, maybe Cat3.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 11:52:48 am by madires »

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 11:51:49 am »
Check these flat cables, these are astonishing flexible. See photo with a CAT 7 cable (that's what is printed on them) wrapped around an AA battery.
Mine are from Amazon: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08SMHJ6D4
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 11:58:06 am by Pinkus »

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 12:00:47 pm »
LAPP make some special CAT5/6 cable for use in robotic applications, sort of stuff found in robot chains (e.g. IGUS e-chain).  It's not what you would normally deem flexiable, but it is designed for alot of repetive bending.

https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 12:47:30 pm »
yes you have options...

drop cheap shit and buy a
good fibre link and adapters

Paul

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 01:43:59 pm »
I am looking for something, that would have properties of a soft microphone cable,

There are some highly flexible Cat5e cables for patch cables and industrial applications, but nothing comparable to a soft microphone cable. I agree with perdrix that such a soft cable wouldn't meet Cat5e specs, maybe Cat3.
I have one prized Cat 5 patch cable that I treat like royalty because it’s so soft. It really is like microphone cable. It is the cable I used to take when traveling in the days before omnipresent WiFi.

Alas, I have no idea where I got it, and since it’s about 20 years old it probably wouldn’t be available any more anyway. :(

Yansi, where are you located? Based on your misuse of the word “Litz”, I assume you’re in a Germanic country, or at least in Europe, which is maybe a lucky thing: there’s a German cable company, TTI Network, that sells a couple of high-flexibility cables, both as terminated patch cords and as raw cable. Take a look at the catalog: https://www.ttl-network.de/files/TTL-Network/download/TTL_Network_Katalog%202019_2020.pdf

Reichelt carries their patch cords.

Also, depending on what kind of robustness you need (namely, not so much), consider the flat cables Pinkus suggested. I used those to run Ethernet cables in my apartment, some by unscrewing the baseboards and running it at the edge of the floor, some by using double-sided tape to glue it along door frames. It’s very, very flexible, especially in the flat axis. Reichelt also carries these, at very good prices.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 04:04:31 pm »
I use Ethernet cable which has stranded conductors instead of solid conductors when I want extra flexibility like for patch cables.  The connectors need to be made for stranded conductors though.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 07:49:04 pm »
Thank you for suggestions, haven't expected so many responses. Let me answer them:

tooki: Yes, I am somewhere from EU.  Next time I will use the word "stranded" wire, instead of litz. That is probably a better term it seems.  ;D

I have contacted TTL-Network via email for a quote.  But being it a German company, I am expecting German prices (= not good).  Lets see what will they offer me.

I am looking for mechanical properties of a microphone cable, which means round 6mm OD, PVC sheath and the fiber/thread filler inside, that makes it both soft and good for pull-strength.

yes you have options...

Paul

Great suggestion, but fiber optic cables are anything but flexible, especially when one would need armored version of it. And then some durable better connectors than LC for termination.  ODC connectors cost arm and leg.  |O

LAPP make some special CAT5/6 cable for use in robotic applications, sort of stuff found in robot chains (e.g. IGUS e-chain).  It's not what you would normally deem flexiable, but it is designed for alot of repetive bending.

There is a big difference in between what is a FLEXIBLE cable and cable designed to be FLEXED repeatedly. What you suggest is likely the latter, which is a pretty stiff piece of cable, that is designed for repeated flexing. I do not need any repeated flexing. And I don't like Lapp, have bought some LiYCY low voltage/data control cabling from them in the past and it was a pretty horrible junk. Much better to go with Helukabel for that.

Check these flat cables, these are astonishing flexible. See photo with a CAT 7 cable (that's what is printed on them) wrapped around an AA battery.
Mine are from Amazon: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08SMHJ6D4

Whoa.  ::)  Not for me or this application.

That is just your speculation, right?  Most of the stiffness is defined by the outer jacket, the internal 4 pairs of a UTP when made from stranded wires with tighter twist are already enough flexible. The problem is the piece of sh!t PVC outer jacket, that the off-the-shelf cheap UTP has. (And in case of foil shielding, a lot of the stiffness depends on what type of foil and how it is twisted around).

Just a few days ago, I have bought some sample of a FTP cable with stranded wires and it was way more stiff than a basic cheap UTP with solid core wires. Junk!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 07:52:06 pm by Yansi »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 08:48:26 pm »
Thank you for suggestions, haven't expected so many responses. Let me answer them:

tooki: Yes, I am somewhere from EU.  Next time I will use the word "stranded" wire, instead of litz. That is probably a better term it seems.  ;D
Indeed it is! In English, “Litz wire” specifically and exclusively means the special wire for high frequency applications where each strand is individually insulated. (In German, where “Litze” simply means “stranded wire”, they refer to that as “HF-Litze”, for hochfrequenz, high frequency.) The alternative to stranded wire is simply called “solid wire”, not “solid core wire”.

I have contacted TTL-Network via email for a quote.  But being it a German company, I am expecting German prices (= not good).  Lets see what will they offer me.
Germany often has excellent prices! If you just need patch cables, Reichelt carries them in up to 30m lengths, and since Reichelt generally has very aggressive pricing, that’ll give you an idea of what you’ll be spending.

I am looking for mechanical properties of a microphone cable, which means round 6mm OD, PVC sheath and the fiber/thread filler inside, that makes it both soft and good for pull-strength.
What is the actual application, specifically and in detail? It’s super annoying to have to tease out one detail at a time, and to have so many suggestions shot down because we don’t know what your actual needs are.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 09:17:41 pm »
Sometimes, I can't remember some english words and am too lazy to look them up. A bit of improvisation can never hurt  ;D

I've looked at Reichelt, they seem to be selling even the 100 m rolls.  100 m is priced at 1.9 to 2.2 eur per meter, which I admit is a pretty damn good price, considering the cable is supposed to be CAT 6A.  All I need is CAT 5E UTP, but this is just a few cents above the cheapest 5E FTP I could find.  So mayyyybeee.... I consider getting this stuff. You can't go wrong with a CAT 6, especially consideringfuture upgrades and stuff.

What is the actual application, specifically and in detail? It’s super annoying to have to tease out one detail at a time, and to have so many suggestions shot down because we don’t know what your actual needs are.

Hahah! Good question! If I would tell exactly, I would likely get exact answers. But this way, I get a lot more overview what is possible and what is not, for other applications too.  And why so secretive about it? Simply I do not like to tell or show what I am doing on the interwebz, let alone which country I am in. I do not have very positive experience with doing just that.

But as you have asked so politely: I have a weird hobby and obsession with professional AV gear, and occasionally do some live audio/video, and I really hate using the bog standard off-the-shelf gray UTP crap for interconnects in between gear. Some time ago, I have upgraded all my racks with Neutrik ETHERCON and now I am sniffing around what better cable I could use.

Most of the time, it is significantly cheaper to make you own cabling from cables (and connectors) of known good quality, rather than buying some cheap, but noname stuff you have no idea how it looks inside and how it behaves. Sure I have found ready made cheap spools of network cable already terminated with something resembling the ETHERCON (but definitely not from Neutrik), but I'd like to avoid using that stuff I know nothing about.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 09:19:49 pm by Yansi »

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 10:02:51 pm »
Van Damme "TOURCAT CAT 5E FLEXIBLE F/UTP"
vdc will do it by the meter,but a minimum of 10 meters.Haven't dealt with them for a few years,but they did send out short sample pieces if you asked nicely https://www.vdctrading.com/shop/van-damme-cable/data-lighting/tourcat-cat5e-cat6-tactical-data-cable/tourcat-tactical-cat-5e-single-cable/van-damme-tourcat-cat-5e-flexible-futp-per-metre/

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 09:03:19 am »
So what are the actual minimum requirements. I think the higher in bandwidth you go the more constrained you will be in the cable construction as small imperfections start to matter more and flexing is likely to cause unpredictable changes in properties so manufacturers will resist letting you do that.

In automotive special made cabling there are various materials used for varying prices. I have never managed to get proper CAN bus cable that is actually useable in a loom as despite being an auto standard the cable that officially meets the standard looks like it was made to go in roads with enormous bend radii. So we just use our own twisted pair. Custom harnesses are made by carefully twisting the whole bundle alternately in opposite directions and using something like DR type heat shrink from TE or G type from HellermannTyton which is a material designed specifically for cable making and is more flexible than common heat shrink tube sold at a fraction of the price. You also do not cheap out and use the smallest diameter you can get away with, this means that the material will be over stretched and so will be rigid. You pick a diameter that fully shrunk will be slightly less than your bundle diameter. This way the walls thicken up and there is plenty of material there to stretch and flex when required.

I have handled a cable that was something like 40mm in diameter and way more flexible than I would have expected from such a cable. But the company that makes them dose so at a high price and are renowned for what they do in the industries they serve.

Maybe you can re-sheath some existing cables in different tubing? but maybe the tubing was made that rigid to stop you flexing the cable to a point that it's characteristics would be altered. But if you don't need that bandwidth maybe you can afford to have it more flexible.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 10:43:56 am »

That is just your speculation, right?  Most of the stiffness is defined by the outer jacket, the internal 4 pairs of a UTP when made from stranded wires with tighter twist are already enough flexible. The problem is the piece of sh!t PVC outer jacket, that the off-the-shelf cheap UTP has. (And in case of foil shielding, a lot of the stiffness depends on what type of foil and how it is twisted around).

Nope, educated guess. Look up "ethernet cable bend radius"! Or get a proper TP ethernet tester and measure cables with bends which have a smaller radius than recommended.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 11:00:04 am »
Probably not for your application, but useful to know that 1mm pitch ribbon cable crimps nicely into RJ45s. Very handy for short runs on a bench setup where you don't want the stiffness of the cable to pull stuff off the bench!
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 11:18:14 am »

Nope, educated guess. Look up "ethernet cable bend radius"! Or get a proper TP ethernet tester and measure cables with bends which have a smaller radius than recommended.

I think you're guessing wrong then. A lot of the soft ethernet cables I have found are specified even for a bend radius from like 32mm (Belden) down to even 10 mm (the TTL-Network ones for example).  I think even the 32 mm (1.25in) spec is good enough already.

You need a soft cable both for ease of handling, and also for safety of the people - you don't want to trip over a curly snake on the ground, you need the cable to lay flat - by itself. Not by taping it to the ground every 30 cm.   ;D

So what are the actual minimum requirements. I think the higher in bandwidth you go the more constrained you will be in the cable construction as small imperfections start to matter more and flexing is likely to cause unpredictable changes in properties so manufacturers will resist letting you do that.

In automotive special made cabling there are various materials used for varying prices. I have never managed to get proper CAN bus cable that is actually useable in a loom as despite being an auto standard the cable that officially meets the standard looks like it was made to go in roads with enormous bend radii. So we just use our own twisted pair. Custom harnesses are made by carefully twisting the whole bundle alternately in opposite directions and using something like DR type heat shrink from TE or G type from HellermannTyton which is a material designed specifically for cable making and is more flexible than common heat shrink tube sold at a fraction of the price. You also do not cheap out and use the smallest diameter you can get away with, this means that the material will be over stretched and so will be rigid. You pick a diameter that fully shrunk will be slightly less than your bundle diameter. This way the walls thicken up and there is plenty of material there to stretch and flex when required.

I have handled a cable that was something like 40mm in diameter and way more flexible than I would have expected from such a cable. But the company that makes them dose so at a high price and are renowned for what they do in the industries they serve.

Maybe you can re-sheath some existing cables in different tubing? but maybe the tubing was made that rigid to stop you flexing the cable to a point that it's characteristics would be altered. But if you don't need that bandwidth maybe you can afford to have it more flexible.

CAN bus? Meh. That stuff will work over any pair of wires, if they are at least close together.

If you want a proper CAN bus shielded cable for automotive use, have a look at Raychem. Cables made from Spec 44 are pretty durable.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 11:32:12 am »

CAN bus? Meh. That stuff will work over any pair of wires, if they are at least close together.

If you want a proper CAN bus shielded cable for automotive use, have a look at Raychem. Cables made from Spec 44 are pretty durable.

Yes Raychem 44 is my everyday wire. CAN bus was devised in the 70's and maybe the drivers were not as rugged as today and needed a bit more care in their loading. We just twist our own up these days in 44 type with 1 twist per inch being fine.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 11:56:45 am »
Probably not for your application, but useful to know that 1mm pitch ribbon cable crimps nicely into RJ45s. Very handy for short runs on a bench setup where you don't want the stiffness of the cable to pull stuff off the bench!

You can get ribbon cable with a flat rubber sleeve for rollover/straight terminal cables.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 01:40:59 pm »
What do you mean exactly? Can you give example of such cable?  I image a flat ribbon with a rubber outer sheath to be the same as flat phone cord. You can get those  with 2, 4, 6 or 8 wires. (But, usually, these suckers are pretty damn stiff too and use some weird insulation on the wires, that resembles polyethylene - like in some network cables).

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2021, 01:58:07 pm »

yes you have options...

Paul

Great suggestion, but fiber optic cables are anything but flexible, especially when one would need armored version of it. And then some durable better connectors than LC for termination.  ODC connectors cost arm and leg.  |O

It was the case some half dozen years ago to think that as
more expensive exotic trade off..

Not anymore.

Google a comparison among CAT7 CAT8 and fiber cables...

You will see how prices dropped and how easy you
can bend modern fibre for ETH drop in

Paul

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2021, 02:10:37 pm »
What do you mean exactly? Can you give example of such cable?  I image a flat ribbon with a rubber outer sheath to be the same as flat phone cord. You can get those  with 2, 4, 6 or 8 wires. (But, usually, these suckers are pretty damn stiff too and use some weird insulation on the wires, that resembles polyethylene - like in some network cables).

It's similar to a flat phone cord but slightly more rugged. Usually you get them with telco/carrier network elements.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2021, 02:40:33 pm »

yes you have options...

Paul

It was the case some half dozen years ago to think that as
more expensive exotic trade off..

Not anymore.

Google a comparison among CAT7 CAT8 and fiber cables...

You will see how prices dropped and how easy you
can bend modern fibre for ETH drop in

Paul

I know very well, how those are flexible or not. And I repeat: Fiber is good for permanent installation. Not for a mobile setup. Cheap LC connectors for the fibers are neither designed nor robust enough for touring use. You can use them, of course, but any slightly more robust set of connectors for the fiber will easily double or triple the price of a 100m fiber link. Then the price is well above that of a CAT7 copper cable of the same length.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2021, 03:27:28 am »
Ubiquiti makes some really thin and flexible patch cables, here's an example of how they would be used:
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 12:37:02 am »
Lemme share an update on this:

I have ordered (decent) sample lengths of the cables ftom TTL-Network.de (the Ultraflex CAT6A) and Tasker C701.

Will probably order more samples later,  whe I find the some of the stuff somwhere in stock. (The CANFORD cables seem to be in stock,  so I may order them shortly).

Offline Khaveer

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2021, 07:26:20 am »
Ubiquiti makes some really thin and flexible patch cables, here's an example of how they would be used:

I just looked up this thread to post about those cables, but apparently you beat me to it. Out of curiosity I bought one of those cables while ordering some network gear. Now I regret buying only one. It's almost as flexible as decent quality silicone test leads. Definitely nicer to use than most of the ethernet cables I've ever seen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf