Author Topic: Looking for: Very flexible CAT 5E cable - where to get?  (Read 5541 times)

Offline YansiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Re: Looking for: Very flexible CAT 5E cable - where to get?
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2021, 06:02:31 pm »
But that stuff is probably only good for a local short patches, isn't it? I seriously doubt the thin stuff is any decent in terms of transmission parameters.

Today I have received the Tasker C701. Well. It looks and behaves almost exactly as if you buy some more decent stranded wire cable from the usual sources.  The C701 cost me almost $1.7 a meter, which definitely is one of the cheaper cables marketed for touring use.  But it is nothing to write home about. I mean, it is usable - if you uncoil a bunch of it, it kind-of lays flat on the ground.

I am looking forward for the cables from Reichelt. Seems those suckers claim having it in stock, but bullshit, it's been a week and they  did not send it yet. And I will definitely call them out on this BS.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2021, 06:17:21 pm »
Reichelt is quite slow at the moment because of Covid19 countermeasures. My last order took about a week.

Offline Khaveer

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2021, 06:36:14 pm »
Ubiquiti claims those cables are cat6 rated, but the longest one you can buy is 8m.

You could also take a look at Mogami 3306. It's made for touring and it's also quite nice to use. It's definitely less flexible than the thin Ubiquiti stuff but on the other hand it feels more robust. It works quite well for longer runs. I used it on 30m runs without any issues.

Edit: Oops, I meant Mogami 3367.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 08:49:19 pm by Khaveer »

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2021, 09:38:57 pm »
Reichelt is quite slow at the moment because of Covid19 countermeasures. My last order took about a week.

Covid? In dem Deutschland? Bullscheisse. There's nothing happening.. or is it?

Ubiquiti claims those cables are cat6 rated, but the longest one you can buy is 8m.

You could also take a look at Mogami 3306. It's made for touring and it's also quite nice to use. It's definitely less flexible than the thin Ubiquiti stuff but on the other hand it feels more robust. It works quite well for longer runs. I used it on 30m runs without any issues.

I have surprisingly found a local distributor for that Mogami cable. Over 6 € per meter of CAT 5E. Fück dich!! Thats insane :o

I still would like to buy a sample of the Canford stuff.  That was under 2€ a meter.

Offline Khaveer

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2021, 08:48:21 pm »
Damn, it looks like I've screwed up the product number. I meant Mogami 3367. This one should be around 2-3 euro.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2021, 11:37:07 pm »
There are lots of options for high flex cable, however I guess it depends upon what you mean by high flex!    The suppliers ot industry have all sorts of cable types for use in automation including drag chains and other mechanical contrivances.   Examples:

https://www.l-com.com/ethernet-cat5e-cmx-rated-hi-flex-fr-tpe-jacket-double-shielded-2-pr-str-24-awg-1000ft-teal?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxoDJu_KD8AIVuhatBh1PcwInEAAYAiAAEgJRufD_BwE

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/overview/catalog/wiring_solutions/bulk_multi-conductor_cable/continuous_flexing_industrial_ethernet_cable

https://www.gore.com/products/ethernet-high-flex-round-cable.   Gore has produced some very interesting cable assemblies over the years so you might want to try them first.

There are plenty of others.   It might pay to call an applications engineer at a larger wire manufacture and simply ask.    As you have already noted some of the industrial stuff has a pretty rugged external sheath, you may catch the right adviser willing to forward  forward you to a competitor that has something more like you are looking for.

Eventually you will be lead to somebody with the cable you need.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2021, 10:17:13 am »
Damn, it looks like I've screwed up the product number. I meant Mogami 3367. This one should be around 2-3 euro.

You sure? Seems this one indeed is about 2-3€, but is listed as an installation cable, with solid core wires.   :-//

There are lots of options for high flex cable, however I guess it depends upon what you mean by high flex!    The suppliers ot industry have all sorts of cable types for use in automation including drag chains and other mechanical contrivances.   Examples:

https://www.l-com.com/ethernet-cat5e-cmx-rated-hi-flex-fr-tpe-jacket-double-shielded-2-pr-str-24-awg-1000ft-teal?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxoDJu_KD8AIVuhatBh1PcwInEAAYAiAAEgJRufD_BwE

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/overview/catalog/wiring_solutions/bulk_multi-conductor_cable/continuous_flexing_industrial_ethernet_cable

https://www.gore.com/products/ethernet-high-flex-round-cable.   Gore has produced some very interesting cable assemblies over the years so you might want to try them first.

Thats what I have already commented. Cable, that is soft and very flexible, is a completely different thing than a cable, that is designed to be flexed repeatedly.  The latter usually being cables stiff as a garden hose. They can be repeatedly flexed, but they are not soft.

There are plenty of others.   It might pay to call an applications engineer at a larger wire manufacture and simply ask.    As you have already noted some of the industrial stuff has a pretty rugged external sheath, you may catch the right adviser willing to forward  forward you to a competitor that has something more like you are looking for.
Eventually you will be lead to somebody with the cable you need.

To go around calling companies, that is like an utopia.  As a small company or an individual, nobody will talk with you. You are not worth them to even respond you to an email. And if you are, they will of course market you the most expensive (or with most margin for them) stuff they can find fits.

If you have a different experience, good for you then. This is just how thy business works.  Meanwhile I have contacted two local distributors, that had some cables I wanted and how many of them did respond with a quote for 100 m roll? Exactly none.  Then I order from Reichelt  some cables quite on the expensive side, pay premium shipping of 15 € (which really is expensive, for just within EU two countries neighboring)  and then after almost two weeks, the cable is not shipped yet? And I have specifically ordered one which they claimed they have in stock?

Welcome to the business of the second fifth of 21st century.

And then go figure, why almost everyone that can, does business in or with China.  These folks almost always respond to questions and give quotes and they like to make a deal, unlike western companies, that are just after your money and delivering the product has low priority.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away, but there are things in the western world, that really pisses me off.  Look, I would like to support local businesses, but in most cases, you simply can't, they just don't want to do the business with you.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2021, 10:55:47 am »
Sorry, I got a bit carried away, but there are things in the western world, that really pisses me off.  Look, I would like to support local businesses, but in most cases, you simply can't, they just don't want to do the business with you.

... because they get calls all day long from people complaining about high prices and that everything is half the price at aliexpress when looking for just 10m ethernet cable. How much money would you make by discussing 15 minutes or more about high prices and selling just a 5m patch cable? >:D

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2021, 11:07:16 am »
Check ultra slim/thin patch cables with OD:2.8mm, 32 AWG. Such feels much more flexible.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2021, 05:46:01 pm »

... because they get calls all day long from people complaining about high prices and that everything is half the price at aliexpress when looking for just 10m ethernet cable. How much money would you make by discussing 15 minutes or more about high prices and selling just a 5m patch cable? >:D

See, I bought a 30m piece of cable from Reichelt for 81 €.  Two weeks later, they did not even ship it.   So who's fault it is?   Or am I just supposed to shut up, and bite whatever the arbitrary price a seller has given,  yet without actually delivering in claimed time?
So who's to blame? Me for complaining about high prices or the seller with high pricing, that does not deliver in time, because it doesn't have the stock it was claiming to have with delivery time?

This is actually the attitude why doing business with some/most western companies sucks. (Kudos to exceptions!)  No publicly available price lists, no available data, all NDAs and legal threats.  Don't you think that the customer is not the one to blame? And that the customer is the one, that actually behaves rationally, in search of what has "best bang for the buck" and available in the first place?

Don't you think, that if companies would put public listings of stock availability and prices, that would make calls and emails with stupid questions unnecessary to do the actual business?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2021, 06:09:26 pm »
The clash of two worlds. ;) Resellers not selling via an online shop usually focus on large customers buying large quantities. They are simply trying to discourage consumers to ask for a single patch cable. If you're a large customer you'll get a personal account manager. Online shops are a different beast. They can focus on consumers, large customers or both. Regarding Reichelt, I can tell you from my experience with them that I didn't have any problems so far, besides a slow delivery due to Covid19. They even order special stuff for you not listed in the online shop. Returning broken stuff during the warranty period works also fine. If you have a problem send them an email.

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2021, 08:44:37 pm »
Yes, the clash of the two worlds:  The wet dream of a company management and then the reality.

I do not need no fak!n personal account manager. I need a catalogue with price list, availability, delivery dates and proper datasheet for the stuff I buy.  If I (the customer) have all that, I do not need asking no stupid questions. I either buy, or leave alone. If there is MOQ and you do not sell single patch cables,  fine, put your MOQ in the catalogue. What's so difficult with that?

I can not run my business based on mouthful of words from some account manager. I need the stuff I have ordered and deadlines to obey. Is it so difficult?  Seems to be...

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2021, 08:54:41 am »
Mogami in Japan has everything in cables.

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/

They may have CAT5e, CAT 6, etc.

Jon

Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2021, 12:50:32 pm »
Mogami in Japan has everything in cables.

They may have CAT5e, CAT 6, etc.

No they don't. They only have audio cables, and their digital audio product line ends at AES cables.

Since you've mentioned a Japanese vendor, I will suggest Nippon Seisen, which offers 3.8mm diameter CAT5e cables and 4.1mm diameter CAT6 cables.
Can you at least stop using such an authoritative tone when you don’t know what you’re talking about? Mogami Ethernet cables have already been mentioned by model number earlier in this thread. Their catalog lists them. Resellers have been found. So it’s pretty clear they DO make them.

The following users thanked this post: Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2021, 09:26:48 pm »
Yup, thanks for mentioning Mogami again, I have made a second look at them a I think I have found exactly what I've been after!

Either Mogami 3367 or 3381 - both exactly what I wanted.  And guess what, I have even found a local distributor, that seems to have stock (well, they claim even specific number of meters of the stuff in stock) and the price is not the worst after all.

I will definitely order some sample length of 3367, maybe 3381.  (3381 seems the same as 3367, just a nylon rope in the middle of the cable, for increased strength).

And let's see, how this reseller will be fast with their delivery! Ha!

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf