Author Topic: < 20MHz DDS IC with burst mode (10-bit DAC output)?  (Read 944 times)

Online SparkyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
< 20MHz DDS IC with burst mode (10-bit DAC output)?
« on: November 19, 2018, 11:12:13 pm »
Hello forum!

I'm having difficulty finding a suitable DDS for my project.  I'm after something a little specific and I've found a few good options but not the perfect device.  I thought a quick post here would be worthwhile if anyone happens to know a suitable part!  Would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this!

Requirements:
  • 10-bit DAC output (voltage or current)
  • maximum frequency output ~10MHz, with 1Hz or better resolution
  • 3.3V operation, low power, small size
  • Triangle or Sawtooth waveform at the output
  • Trigger or sync input
  • Burst mode to generate pre-programmed n waveform periods at output

Options: AD9833, AD9837, AD9838
Of these AD9837 is my preference and it's perfect in terms of low power, small size, 28-bit resolution, MCLK <= 16MHz, 10-bit DAC VOUT, triangle output possible.

Limitations are:
- continuous wave output (no burst mode), and
- no sync/trigger, so hard to synchronize with other signals.

Best option I found: AD5930
This has a DAC with current output, is larger package, only 24-bit resolution, but still acceptable.  Main benefits are CTRL pin for triggering/sync and pre-programmable burst mode of 'n' complete waveform output cycles.  These two are really key features and it's great. 

However, AD5930 is designed for frequency sweep applications so the output waveform frequency increases by deltaF each time CTRL is triggered.  It would be great to set the deltaF to zero, but it doesn't look possible!  For my application I would need to reset or reprogram the DDS after each burst of n waveforms so that on the next trigger of CTRL pin I have the same frequency.  This is possible (there's a few microseconds to available to do so), but I would like to avoid this reset/reprogramming if I can.

Anyone know of a DDS like AD5930 that had burst mode and triggers, but without the sweep capability?

Will appreciate any suggestions!

Sparky

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf