Author Topic: metal spiral shield around cables  (Read 1417 times)

Offline TheUnnamedNewbieTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
metal spiral shield around cables
« on: September 20, 2021, 07:58:44 am »
I have a couple USB cables from Hama that has a metal spiral shield https://be.hama.com/bilder/00183/abx/00183335abx.png . I was wondering if you can somehow get this kind of shield stand-alone to put around existing cables?
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
Re: metal spiral shield around cables
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 10:18:24 am »
I have seen plastic wraps for smaller and larger diameter cables. Strip width was much wider and more manageable than seen in the picture. There are plastic spiral wraps coated with shiny metal, but that is different.
I have doubts that metal wrap is sold separately for consumers, as it would take ages to fit to existing cables. It looks very tight as well (too tight for manual application).

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 11:01:33 am »
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 12:39:49 pm »
Shield? It's a goose neck.

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/gooseneck-flexible-metal-cable.html

It seems like this is one of those occasions where once you know what the thing is called, the search becomes trivial. Thanks!
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 12:54:24 pm »
And if it’s not a gooseneck, it’d be called “armor”. (Shielding: electromagnetic protection. Armor: mechanical protection.)

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 01:27:32 pm »
In the case of the OPs attached image, it appears to be, how can I put this?... 'Styling'!

It will be much too inductive to provide any useful RF shielding and does virtually nothing to protect the cable from mechanical damage (except in the specific case of a lengthwise cut, when it would probably snag anyway). Luckily you can see braided wire shielding in the lead underneath.

Marketing w**k comes to mind. :palm:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 04:18:57 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 04:14:50 pm »
The nearest thing I know of is spring hose protector (guard). Its not a gooseneck that's for sure.
Is it really metal or sprayed plastic, is it conductive?

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 05:20:30 pm »
"Gooseneck" usually implies something stiff enough to hold its shape--so things like task lights and microphones that need to be repositionable but stay where you put them. 

A useful term is 'corrugated sleeving': https://www.mcmaster.com/sleeves/corrugated-sleeving-6/

If you don't need the cable to be fully enclosed by the spiral wrap, another option would be to buy some extension spring stock.  It's available in long lengths so that you can cut it and form loops on the ends to create extension springs of arbitrary length.  You can expand the helix by stretching it to just past its yield point so that it plastically deforms, which will make it longer, easier to get it onto the cable, and leave the cable more flexible once its installed.  The main problem with this might be finding the spring stock in a suitable alloy/plating, usually I've only seen it in bare steel which will be prone to corrosion if not cared for. 

You could form your own coil from suitable wire stock, it will take some trial and error to get the coil formed to the right diameter (you have to account for the spring-back of the material) and it can be tricky to produce a consistent coil, but you can then customize the size/helix angle/material to your needs.  I saw a video a while ago of a model engine someone was building where they did exactly this to reinforce some rubber hose, with a nice little jig for forming a consistent coil, but I can't figure out the right search terms to find it at the moment. 

The following users thanked this post: tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 06:47:49 pm »
In the case of the OPs attached image, it appears to be, how can I put this?... 'Styling'!

It will be much too inductive to provide any useful RF shielding and does virtually nothing to protect the cable from mechanical damage (except in the specific case of a lengthwise cut, when it would probably snag anyway). Luckily you can see braided wire shielding in the lead underneath.

Marketing w**k comes to mind. :palm:

I actually have a few of these cables and there really is more to it than just marketing wank. It is quite a bit stronger than my other cables. Most notably, it survived my two kittens, which a lot of other cables did not.

The nearest thing I know of is spring hose protector (guard). Its not a gooseneck that's for sure.
Is it really metal or sprayed plastic, is it conductive?

The one I have (and the product type I'm looking for - I've seen this in other places too) is really metal and conductive.

"Gooseneck" usually implies something stiff enough to hold its shape--so things like task lights and microphones that need to be repositionable but stay where you put them. 

A useful term is 'corrugated sleeving': https://www.mcmaster.com/sleeves/corrugated-sleeving-6/

Thanks! Another good term to add to my google-fu

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 07:27:17 pm »
I actually have a few of these cables and there really is more to it than just marketing wank. It is quite a bit stronger than my other cables. Most notably, it survived my two kittens, which a lot of other cables did not.

Maybe not the intended reason for the design, but yes, I can imagine them being extremely unpleasant, even painful, to chew on.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 02:31:27 pm »
Not spiral but an example of a pump cable protector/support.

Ed. perhaps more weight support than protection?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 02:55:23 pm by armandine2 »
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 03:59:05 am »
I do not think that is a very good shield. You can purchase braided shields from the electronic supply houses which would be much better as shields.

Of course, if you just like how it looks .......
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 04:12:16 am »
I just remembered I randomly found some decorative plastic spiral wrap stuff at my local big box department store a little while ago.  It won't be as robust as anything metal, but might be good enough, and will probably end up being more flexible and easier to deal.  Tricky to find the right search terms to distinguish from the more common larger spiral wrap stuff, but this ebay listing looks very similar, and there will probably be lots of similar recommended listings on that page: https://www.ebay.com/itm/234149481417  Picture of the listing attached in case that link goes dead.

Not spiral but an example of a pump cable protector/support.

Ed. perhaps more weight support than protection?

Yeah, that's a cable support grip, although it doesn't look to be sized properly for that cable--or perhaps has been a bit abused in its lifetime.

I do not think that is a very good shield. You can purchase braided shields from the electronic supply houses which would be much better as shields.

Of course, if you just like how it looks .......

From context I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for mechanical protection rather than electrical shielding or aesthetic enhancement.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf