Author Topic: Meteo in APRS with Arduino - project schematic question  (Read 625 times)

Offline Lucky-LukaTopic starter

• Supporter
Meteo in APRS with Arduino - project schematic question
« on: August 14, 2022, 07:35:31 pm »
Hi all
I've found a project that should do what I've written in the subject of the thread.
Arduino is connected to a VHF Intek transceiver.
What do you think the circuit in the red circle do?
I've asked the guy who designed this project and he has told me that it's used since 90s with TNC packet radio.
I don't know... Is that diode necessary? Has that cap the right polarity?
Thanks
Memento audere semper.

Offline pqass

• Frequent Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Lucky-Luka

• Supporter
Re: Meteo in APRS with Arduino - project schematic question
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 09:29:21 pm »
ok. I was just curious about the polarity of the cap and the utility of that diode there
Memento audere semper.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 09:31:43 pm »
The capacitor does appear to be backward in the original schematic.  The left hand side cannot go above one Vbe, whereas the right hand side will be at 5v with the cap fully charged, so the positive side of the cap should be on the right.

Not entirely sure what the function of the diode is, I initially though it was to discharge the cap more quickly when the +5v supply is removed, but it has negligible impact since the 150k dominates.

The following users thanked this post: Lucky-Luka

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 09:36:14 pm »
OK, asking other people about the watchdog and thinking about the overall project myself I've redesigned the circuit using an Arduino Nano board.
Tell me what you think about it.
Thanks
Memento audere semper.

Offline pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 12:13:27 am »
Your new placement of the diode in the WD part should make sure you don't reverse the polarity of the cap after it's discharged (ie. right-side never goes lower than Vbe).  However, in the simulation, the diode drop was only about 430mV. Add to that the 23mV of the on-state transistor drop and it's not quite enough to keep the cap from being reversed (by about 130mV). Simulation isn't the "real world"TM so confirm in practice that the diode you select has Vf > Vbe or use two diodes for good measure.  I don't know if applying just 130mV of reverse voltage on an electrolytic is really bad in practice.  You shouldn't be keeping that GPIO line high for an extended amount of time anyway.

As for diode protection of the regulator, Google image search "lm317 diode protection".  You'll see another [reversed] diode between output and adjust pins.  And also a 10uF cap from adjust pin to ground.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 12:17:46 am by pqass »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf