Author Topic: Mightyduino - DIY Arduino with ATmega644p/Atmega1284p  (Read 5700 times)

Offline peekptTopic starter

• Contributor
Mightyduino - DIY Arduino with ATmega644p/Atmega1284p
« on: March 09, 2017, 02:53:22 am »
Mightyduino
A DIY Arduino type hardware board based on ATmega644p Atmega1284p

Hosted on Github

This project is free and based on @MCUDude's MightyCore which has awesome well designed kits for serious development with AVR's.

Mightyduino is an Arduino with more memory than an Arduino Pro mini. It can use 644p (64k) or 1284p (128k) chips. Its voltage can be configured by U1 and the frequecy can be configured by the Murata's ressonator (crystal).
It has a power led and another one connected to pin D0. The push button performs reset. DTR pin can be used to external reset. The RAW pin is the input voltage <12v. The VCC pin is the regulator output and IC voltage, it can be loaded up to peak of 500mA.

To burn the bootloader (optiboot 6.0) you must first install the MightyCore boards on Arduino App  , connect the ICSP pins to your bootloader programming hardware (eg. USBASP), select one of MCUDude's board that meet the specs you use and burn bootloader.
Then you can access (ttl-serial dongle) like a normal arduino on the serial pins (like arduino pro mini). Mightyduino uses the 'standard' pin mapping.

Version History
- v1.3 - Changed C1 C3 footprint, add reset pin for SPI programming.
- v1.2 - Switch U1 shutdown pin 3 voltage to RAW
- v1.1 - Switched Led from pin D13 to D0, cosmetic improvements
- v1.0 - Initial release

Quick Links:
Order boards from OSHPark

Or download the Gerber files for other pcb maker

Download the schematic PDF

ATmega datasheet 644p 1284p

Screenshots

Components

Bottom

Pin Mapping

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:10:23 am by peekpt »

The following users thanked this post: elecdonia

Offline Rolo

• Regular Contributor
Re: Mightyduino - DIY Arduino with ATmega644p/Atmega1284p
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 07:32:27 am »
Nice board, do you have a picture of a completed board ? And, can this be soldered by hand ?

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 04:11:42 pm »
Yes, You can solder it by hand using hot air or soldering iron, it's up to you. I used a regular soldering iron and flux.
This board is from a previous version ( it has tiny budge wire on U1). As you can see it fits perfectly.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:14:16 pm by peekpt »

Offline mbno

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 12:44:44 am »
Great idea for a board. Pro Mini size but with far more memory.  :-+

I've ordered a few PCB's and now ordering the components, but I have a few questions:

1) Can you provide the forward voltage and current for the two LEDs you are using at D1 and D2 ?  Your schematic is showing a 3.3v regulator, and you're using a 330R current limiting resistor for each, but when running the numbers this resistor seems too big for the LEDs I've been able to find online.

2) In order to change the voltage from 3.3v to 5v, am I correct that I just need to change which voltage regulator to use for U1 ?

3) In order to change the frequency from 16MHz to 20MHz, do I just need to change which frequency oscillator I'm using at X1 and the Atmega644/1284 at IC1 from a 16MHz to 20MHz variant ?

Also, from what I've found so far, the MIC5219-3.3YM5/-5.0YM5 can only handle a maximum 12v input voltage.  Alternatives like MIC5225-3.3YM5/-5.0YM5 and MIC5205-3.3YM5/-5.0YM5 appear to handle up to 16v, but the output current is only 150ma on those higher input voltage variants.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 02:42:22 am »
Thank you   :P It's so easy to put it together. Good luck! :popcorn:

1. the leds I use will light up with 1mA no worries.  If you want to get a big flash is up to you. :-// Do your math!

2. Yes, :-+ you may change to the voltage you want with this regulators, just check the ATmega data sheet for the appropriate voltage / frequency setup. I'm running @ 3.3v 16Mhz no worries in my 3 projects I have and so far no problems.

3. Yes , :-+ you just have to change the resonator for the appropriate frequency. The frequency it's defined on software on compile time.

I think I didn't check well  :palm: but It appears to handle up to 20v, 500mAh peak. :-+

Offline acowie

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 03:41:03 am »
Hi - I've ordered a few of these boards and am about to order some components. My question is  is there a list of the component sizes somewhere - looked at the schematic which identifies the parts values but not the sizes. Mainly the capacitors and types etc. Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf