Author Topic: "Hack" old iMac to power it from 12V  (Read 378 times)

Offline jakkas

"Hack" old iMac to power it from 12V
« on: July 29, 2020, 10:18:21 am »
Hi guys!

First off all, I don't know if this is the right place to get help from other people.
My Idea was to replace the iMac powersupply to, for example add a battery and to make it kind of portable.
I disassembled it about a month ago and took some pictures of the powersupply, let's see if I still have them. I searched on YouTube if someone allready done this but it looks like no one ever had such a stupid idea.

I hope someone more andvanced can help me, so I don't fry my machine.

Offline OM222O

• Frequent Contributor
Re: "Hack" old iMac to power it from 12V
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 10:33:14 am »
There is a reason that you have desktops and laptops: power consumption. I mac chugs power, I'm not sure about exact numbers but the PSU should gibe you a good idea of the power rating. If you want to power it from lipo cells for more than 10 minutes, you need a huge pack of them, plus some buck converters to convert to voltages like 12, 5 and 3.3 (I'm again not sure about exact different power lines of a mac, you should measure from PSU). All in all, forget about making it portable. The amount of weight and space the batteries add make that impossible.

Offline jakkas

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 10:36:27 am »

Offline jakkas

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 10:41:55 am »
You are completly right tbh. Theres no need to do such a thing. But anyways it only uses 12V I think, but still, again the weight of the iMac 12,2, which I have is just allready 30.5 lbs. (13.8 kg).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf