Author Topic: Mount PCBs together in a 90° angle  (Read 16133 times)

Offline DomesticHacksTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • DomesticHacks
Mount PCBs together in a 90° angle
« on: March 28, 2014, 01:07:38 pm »
I'm planning a project with two PCBs.
The second PCB has to be mounted on the first one in a 90° angle.
I haven't that much space so I don't think i could use some kind of connector like a pinheader.

Is there a best practice for doing this?
Interesting projects, tipps and tricks (in German).
DomesticHacks on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/DomesticHacks

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: Mount PCBs together in a 90° angle
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 01:56:55 pm »
If your PCB fabricator supports internal routing (most (all?) of the inexpensive ones don't, at least not officially), then you could route a slot in one board that the other slots into.  Careful alignment of copper pads on the edge of each will allow you to solder them together, preferably on both sides, which should be pretty sturdy if your slot is sized to a close fit. 

Offline gregallenwarner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 01:59:39 pm »
Depends on how the PCB's are gonna be used. Are there going to be any stresses on one or both of them? In which direction will the forces be applied? Will it be under constant stress, i.e., buttons on one of the boards routinely being pressed? What about separation of the boards? Do you want them to be easily separable for working on them?

I'd recommend you build your chassis/mounting hardware such that it takes most of the stress away from the electrical connections.

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 02:06:09 pm »
If your PCB fabricator supports internal routing (most (all?) of the inexpensive ones don't, at least not officially), then you could route a slot in one board that the other slots into.  Careful alignment of copper pads on the edge of each will allow you to solder them together, preferably on both sides, which should be pretty sturdy if your slot is sized to a close fit.

OSH Park allows it:

Quote from: OSH Park
Internal cutouts are allowed and supported. Draw them on your board outline layer.
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 02:37:19 pm »
There are several options that come to mind:

REALLY small board-board connectors
Flexible hybrid PCB ( http://www.pcdandf.com/cms/magazine/95/2948 ) - you can do really amazing assemblies with this
Just solder one on the other as though it was an SMD device
What you said

The last two options are mechanically somewhat risky, and should be used with care - repeated stress can cause delamination of your PCB.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

• Regular Contributor
    • DomesticHacks
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 12:17:21 pm »
Depends on how the PCB's are gonna be used. Are there going to be any stresses on one or both of them? In which direction will the forces be applied? Will it be under constant stress, i.e., buttons on one of the boards routinely being pressed? What about separation of the boards? Do you want them to be easily separable for working on them?

I'd recommend you build your chassis/mounting hardware such that it takes most of the stress away from the electrical connections.

They are not under heavy stress like preasure but there are two relatively heavy parts mounted to them.
So only thing I'm concerned about is that the device will be not stationary so vibrations could be a issue.

It shouldn't be detachable.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 12:41:00 pm »
Or use plated holes in one PCB and rout some pegs on the edge of the other - using a plated hole should give better strength than butt-soldering a PCB through a slot.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 05:30:57 pm »
If subject to vibration you really need a screw through the board and a block with tapped holes, or a small metal angle and either nuts or hank nuts in the plate. Vibration will fatigue the solder joints quite fast and they will crack. If the board is big then you need 2 or more mounting blocks at the ends, otherwise for a small one one nearest the heavy components or where you have switches or external connections direct on the board.

Offline Pack34

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 02:05:19 am »
Is there a reason they have to be directly connected? If there heavy components and possible vibration issues, what about mounting them in your chassis independently and using a ribbon cable to connect them? I've personally had reliability issues using card slot connectors in robot applications (even with mechanical retention) a more flexible connection like a ribbon cable may improve reliability.

Offline gregallenwarner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 01:52:06 pm »
Is there a reason they have to be directly connected? If there heavy components and possible vibration issues, what about mounting them in your chassis independently and using a ribbon cable to connect them? I've personally had reliability issues using card slot connectors in robot applications (even with mechanical retention) a more flexible connection like a ribbon cable may improve reliability.

I second this idea. Even though your project requires a permanent connection, a ribbon cable will be the most tolerant of vibration, and you can secure the PCB's at a 90 degree angle using purely mechanical connections, and not have to worry about the electrical connections.

Offline michaelym

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 07:44:39 pm »
You can use PCB slot connectors (like PCI) and still have some mechanical freedom (with the correct connectors and PCB thickness)

• Regular Contributor
    • DomesticHacks
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 11:08:38 am »
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think I will use the smallest pin header I can find or maybe a slot (have to figure out the best way to do it in Eagle).

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 11:12:55 am »
Might be a tad big.  But have a look at DIN41612 connectors.
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 11:34:39 am »
Put a plated through slot on the main board, and routed fingers with pads on the other board <1.6mm (PCB thickness) in length, insert and solder both sides for rigidity. This is quite a common technique for mounting (small) boards at right angles.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 12:28:40 pm »
i've used 90deg 2.54mm header blocks (2row by 8 ) to mount boards at 90deg without any problems. 

You need to decide on the best way to use the connector, rotation wise.
This is the way i found worked the best for me. But you do have to make sure the holes in the vertical PCB (V) are not too close to the edge.
Not all headers are created equal in terms of plastic height, (the bit that rests on the H PCB).

V
         V
     ---V-----||-\
     ---V-----||\ |
HHHHHHHHH | |HHHH
                    '  '

(The V board would obviously be soldered hard right, up against the plastic, i just drew it in the middle to make it clearer)

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:32:41 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 11:28:23 pm »
Simple trick from the old days.
prepare the two boards (with 90-degree support if needed)
solder the 90-degree meeting point as shown

Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 02:15:16 am »
Put a plated through slot on the main board, and routed fingers with pads on the other board <1.6mm (PCB thickness) in length, insert and solder both sides for rigidity. This is quite a common technique for mounting (small) boards at right angles.

I have worked on test instruments that used this construction method.  Invariably one of the solder joints will have a crack.

They make right angle pin headers which are perfect for this.

• Regular Contributor
    • DomesticHacks
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 10:34:35 am »
I will go with SL4Ps method, since it is easier to manufacture. When there will be problems with cracked solder joints I will try something else.

• Regular Contributor
    • DomesticHacks
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 07:20:25 pm »
Doesn't that look very nice?  ^-^
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:22:44 pm by DomesticHacks »

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 07:51:40 pm »
That looks ood, what is it?
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

• Regular Contributor
    • DomesticHacks
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 07:54:39 pm »

That looks ood, what is it?
My new wristwatch with Numitrons

Offline Precipice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 08:33:25 pm »
And is a monumental pain to desolder, so do it right!

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2019, 05:02:24 pm »
It's almost Halloween so resurecting this thread doesn't seem too frivolous...
I have a similar situation where I need to connect two PCBs at 90 degrees with 8 connections between them... but in my situation I need to be able to plug/unplug them, for maintenance/repair without de-soldering.
Given my PCBs are FR4 is there a suitable card connector I could put on one board into which fingers on the other board would insert?  (Like in the old S-100/Eurocard days)
(I looked at 2.54mm female headers on one and  right angle male on the other but the geometry seems a bit variable?)

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2019, 05:12:14 pm »
For so few connections, single row r/a 2.54mm headers and sockets would probably be the most appropriate and economical solution. You can get r/a connectors 2.54mm double row connectors with housings on the male part if you're worried about alignment though.

You will almost certainly end up with spare pins though - I don't think you will find anything as small as 2x4 pin.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2019, 06:31:36 pm »
If you want them to meet at a corner, flush, you could use a castellated finger/box joint.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf