Author Topic: Multiple isolated devices and GND  (Read 1125 times)

Offline jgauthierTopic starter

Multiple isolated devices and GND
« on: August 10, 2022, 02:00:41 pm »
Struggled with the subject.  I'll try to explain.

I have three devices.   I will refer to them as A,B, and C.

Device A will power device C.  This will happen through a GPIO level trigger, through some relays etc.
Device B needs to communicate to/from Device C via TTL level UART comms.  Minimally, that is 3 lines.  TX,RX, GND.

However, device C GND will come through the power switching circuit through Device A.

Should I ultimately connect A and B GND together?  B is not my device, and "untrusted".

Thanks for the input.

Offline Vovk_Z

• Super Contributor
Re: Multiple isolated devices and GND
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 01:12:11 pm »
B and C will be possibly connected so you don't have to make one more connection between A and B. The less ground connections - the better.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 02:25:50 pm »
Untrusted in what ?  network,  operating system ?

you can power them thru isolated power supplies instead of isolating connections  if they became at same ground levels  when connected / communicating ... you have fully isolated  dc-dc converters ??

Normally the ground is the common point in many things in communication, but not necessarily connected to the psu lines

are they automotive or industrial ??

define  device a will power b thru gpio ??   is it an raspberry ?

i think you do know  you can have  usb / rs232 / ttl or cmos isolators thru opto couplers or specialized isolator  ic's

The following users thanked this post: jgauthier

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 06:44:22 pm »
If you power something with iso power then you have to communcate with it over isolated lines. If not, the power isolation serves no purpose.
If you dont trust it then really isolate it.

Digital isolation is simple- optos are slow but things like iCouplers are fast and simple to use. You'll find made for purpose bidirectional versions for coms.
https://www.analog.com/en/parametricsearch/11037#/
https://www.ti.com/isolation/digital-isolators/products.html

You want to add protection on lines within the iso side circuit. ie signal to iso gnd and iso power.

The following users thanked this post: jgauthier

Offline exmadscientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • Technically A Professional
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 05:52:10 am »
If you power something with iso power then you have to communcate with it over isolated lines. If not, the power isolation serves no purpose.
If you dont trust it then really isolate it.

This.

A lot of even senior engineers don't get this, so I'm going to say it again.

If you cross a "galvanically isolated" barrier with absolutely anything other than a galvanically isolated signal then you have no isolation at all. None. Nothing. What you have might or might not be useful, but it ain't isolation anymore. That's why best practice for isolated barriers on PCBs is to pull back solder mask so you can see clear through the PCB and verify immediately with your own eyes that only isolators ever make the crossing.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, jgauthier

Offline jgauthierTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 12:57:00 pm »
Coromonadlix> Untrusted device.  As in: It's not mine.  It's someone else's.  Untrusted is just a term - I mean I trust them. But it's not a known device, not my design, and not provided by me. So I call it "untrusted".

Since A and C are powered through the same PSU, and B is not - if I use GND for comms between B and C it's then connected to A.
Which I felt like was dangerous waters.

I have like 12V power source.  A is powered through a 3.3V regulator or DC/DC converter.
Device C is a 9V system. 

When I say A will power C I mean A will trigger a GPIO (not a pi) that will flip a relay, that will power device C from the 12V source.

I have recently read about some possible isolation ICs and I am digging into those.

Terry Bites>
Thank you. That was my gut feeling. I will look at the poroducts you mentioned.

exmadscientist>  Thank you! This exactly why I asked the question.  I was putting this down and when I saw the GNDs my brain went "Hm, nope. This is going to bind A and B and I do not want that"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf