Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

Multiple resistor dividers BOM optimisation

(1/6) > >>

bobof:
I'm wondering if any program exists that could solve:

1) You have a bunch of dividers you need (eg SMPSU voltage setting)
2) You'd like to achieve these ratios with the minimum number of distinct resistor values possible to an acceptable level of tollerance (I hate BOM singletons)
3) There are already some resistors in your design you "get for free" as they are already in use elsewhere, which could be used with a lesser cost on your design.

So far I'm yet to find anything that attempts to solve such a problem.  Sure, there are a bunch of simple calculators available that will work out for a single ratio required what are optimal resistors in a given series, but nothing to try and optimise several ratios at once.

Anyone know if such a thing exists?

Terry Bites:
Kill me now! Excel goal seek....

bobof:
Kill you?  It would probably kill me.  I think you'd likely find me hanging from my excess reels of 38K3 and 124K resistors...! :)

I'm really imagining something more powerful than that, that takes a list of the ratios you want to hit (along with tolerances, maybe some other parameters for selection like max current through divider), the values of the "free" resistors from elsewhere in the CCTs, and provides you with BOM options, ranked by number of new, unique lines and closeness to target ratios. 

David Hess:
In the past I have written a program as needed to find the minimum number of different resistance values to make a specific number of dividers.

bobof:

--- Quote from: David Hess on July 21, 2021, 04:37:10 pm ---In the past I have written a program as needed to find the minimum number of different resistance values to make a specific number of dividers.

--- End quote ---
Am just in the process of doing exactly that, as google search for something prepacked turned up nothing obviously directly suitable.  Did find some python with most of the resistor series defined, though, which will save me that particular bit of drudgery...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version