Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

Need a simple circuit for ADC to SPiDF

(1/4) > >>

cncjerry:
Hello all,
I am looking for a simple circuit or demo board that has an ADC and SPIDF output.  Know of anything?  It could exist on a protoboard for now, I am good with STM, Arduino, etc if needed.  I figure there might be a two or three chip solution, I have a driver board I built.  I need to route audio to two locations over existing coax.

I built a Pandora player for my wife on our anniversary today (28yrs).  I used scrounged parts, bought a cheap touchscreen display and it works great. She had been using Alexa but it has dropouts occasionally and sometimes Alexa just won't play. I've screwed around with it for weeks and gave up. The player I built uses a Beaglebone black I had, the touchscreeen with HDMI and audio and a high res Burr-Brown USB DAC. Plays perfectly, has remote thru one of the keyboard hand-held devices and I'm happy with it.  I was going to install it in one location but then realized it would be better in another to drive two sets of speakers that are today connected with SPIDF over a router/buffer I built.  I want to put this on that setup.  I should just buy a USB audio device that has SPIDF out, I guess, but it will just add more cost she'll tell me to fix Alexa...of course.

Thanks

Jerry

linux-works:
spdif is mostly dead (and I was highly into spdif for many decades).

usb audio is the way to go.  no downsides and no cable issues.

make your life easier.  any cheap usb audio dac is fine.

moffy:
I was looking for something similar and found this a USB soundcard with ADC/DAC and SPDIF in and out.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/226035836430?itmmeta=01HVRZAVY445SG3T1SYBF3STJ2&hash=item34a0c9260e:g:QIUAAOSwqNNkJ7zY&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwIQopQvyaCI6RBnUhEBnGfg8n9VZW18s%2Fg%2BL8uD1ZYE%2FL6Go0RmyyizeEeXwkvCt1IbtvaOQRu3c6RfGfGYAIJlsCQBtP%2FBvIHvjIN3p5TroP%2Ft4E6k9AwHKoghljY8GigMdZb7iDI%2B2mZO%2FdzabDXfmyxiefO39%2F3%2Bf66hoPXrVcnFeVOBTY43JOOflHm3SwRKTH6U8EHlLSmTLd0QsAgA6qmGqNtgW6lsIr1iOUFczObsUDUryHWJu5rYAmvL5ZQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5S_q5_eYw

cncjerry:

--- Quote from: moffy on April 18, 2024, 04:08:35 pm ---I was looking for something similar and found this a USB soundcard with ADC/DAC and SPDIF in and out.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/226035836430?itmmeta=01HVRZAVY445SG3T1SYBF3STJ2&hash=item34a0c9260e:g:QIUAAOSwqNNkJ7zY&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwIQopQvyaCI6RBnUhEBnGfg8n9VZW18s%2Fg%2BL8uD1ZYE%2FL6Go0RmyyizeEeXwkvCt1IbtvaOQRu3c6RfGfGYAIJlsCQBtP%2FBvIHvjIN3p5TroP%2Ft4E6k9AwHKoghljY8GigMdZb7iDI%2B2mZO%2FdzabDXfmyxiefO39%2F3%2Bf66hoPXrVcnFeVOBTY43JOOflHm3SwRKTH6U8EHlLSmTLd0QsAgA6qmGqNtgW6lsIr1iOUFczObsUDUryHWJu5rYAmvL5ZQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5S_q5_eYw

--- End quote ---

That's a deal.  I also found a Wondom device today that I think will do it for even less: https://store.sure-electronics.com/product/609  I think this board has a full USB compliant audio interface and outputs SPIDF and toslink as well as audio on a 3.5mm jack.

I've used a lot of their products and tested some as well.  The interface with SigmaStudio (always get that wrong) by Analog Devices makes them very powerful.  You can put noise reduction and dsp based crossovers in powered speakers for cheap.  I use their boards with my synthesizers for crossovers to subs.

The reason I need SPIDF is that I already have high quality cabling running from a closet to two remote locations.  I cant pull USB cables or ethernet up there without a major hassle. I wish I had ethernet in those two locations but I don't.  So I am going to put the Pandora box into a closet and run SPIDF over the existing cables using a line driver I built many moons ago.  The alternatives are just not practical in my current state of health.

I would have thought there was a way to do it using parts I have on hand.  I have ADCs, etc, STM and arduino boards, all kinds of stuff.  I saw where someone used a parallax propeller but it looked like a purpose-built device.

Thanks again.

Jerry

mikeselectricstuff:
Something like this ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184443856487

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version