Author Topic: Need hands on assist with project in RI  (Read 1456 times)

Offline TubeRadioTopic starter

Need hands on assist with project in RI
« on: October 23, 2016, 05:51:44 am »
Hi All,

I have a frequency counter project that is above my skill level to construct. It involves making a single layer PC board to a fairly simple schematic, and affixing a small amount of components including a few IC sockets, a few resistors and capacitors etc which I have. I bought all the pcboard materials, and have all the components. Attached will be five Nixie tubes in sockets.This is a one-off, although I might like to make a couple spare boards.

It would be great if someone could assist with laying out the PCB in a neat fashion which I think a PCB software design program would help with.

That's about it! 

I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee for help with this from someone familiar and experienced with this work.

Please PM me if interested to help with this, and I can travel throughout the lower half of new England.

Thanks   :)

Re: Need hands on assist with project in RI
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 04:53:16 am »
no one?  its just a pc board!

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 05:36:46 am »
https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Rhode_Island
A large group is more likely to run teaching sessions on PCB layout and design . . .

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 06:41:14 am »
Ian thanks great idea first one had nothing for PCB but there are several more, I will check those out.

Meanwhile the original request for someone willing to tutor me 1:1 still stands.

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 07:06:43 pm »
In your area there are a number of design houses, consultants. Contact one of them, I am
sure they would walk you thru.

Alternatively or jointly, download Eagle CAD, and watch the series of videos on youtube.

I found that quite productive myself. Also found Sparkfun and element14 usefull for guidelines.

Regards, Dana.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:21:03 pm by danadak »
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 07:20:09 pm »
thanks dana, what do I search for to find those consultants, etc? i am so new at this I dont even know even the best terms. thanks!

btw, not having much like with maker spaces but still looking...

just need to make one simple board!

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 01:55:12 am »
I would say this is an ideal opportunity to get familiar with PCB CAD software and trying it yourself :)

I recommend Eagle.  There's a 'free' version that has limits on board size and layers but for the most part is more than enough for medium complexity projects.  I think its still half eurocard size so 80x100mm.
It's pretty popular so there are many forums, examples, and a huge set of libraries for parts.

The interface can be a little weird ('cut' means copy into clipboard, leaving original, and 'copy' means 'duplicate one part right now). For the most part, once you have found suitable parts in the libraries and created a schematic, its just a question of placing the components where you want.  That is, the components that need to be a certain place, the rest can go anywhere, and then hooking it together.

I'm sure others will be happy to provide tips on layout once you get to the PCB stage.  If its very simple, then you could use stripboard, and use CAD software to help you design that (just remembering that tracks go one orientation, and jumper wires go the other, although they can really go anywhere).  But being able to design a custom board is very handy.

As for someone doing it for you, if you think say $20/hour.. by the time they've got all the information about the parts you're using (standard footprints? custom?) and some back and forth between where parts are and how happy you are with it, it'll cost a lot.  Where-as breaking it down into stages, and doing the parts yourself over a cup of coffee will not only probably be just as quick but by the end of it you'll have designed your own board and have the skill/confidence to design another!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf