Author Topic: Newbie check and hi everyone  (Read 359 times)

Offline _fsckTopic starter

Newbie check and hi everyone
« on: December 19, 2023, 05:10:08 pm »
Hi Folks,

Happy to meet you all, so to speak.  I'm obv brand new here, so I hope I'm asking in the right place, in the right way - please elbow-check me if not.

I am very much a software person, not an EE, but I'm also working on building some necessary hardware for doing relatively large scale semi-automated testing of lithium-ion cells.  Of course, there are innumerable battery chargers out there, and a number of spreadsheet "apps", but I'm shooting to have a charge and discharge+testing mechanism that will run multiple configurable tests per cell with automatic reporting and storage of results.  This will be arduino and/or Pi driven - no screens nor buttons, everything will be handled via software.

With that general goal in mind, since I'm not very experienced with hardware, I've been slowly modifying designs from much smarter people to hopefully suit my use case.  Case in point, I wanted to be able to control the charge current sent to a battery cell with software, so I took this https://oshwlab.com/wagiminator/z-lifepo4-charger

And replaced a single external resistor with a digital pot, changed up a few connectors and so on.  But, I thought this time I'd ask a bit about the design before moving straight to physical builds.  I trust the original plan, so this is really about my main change:

Will U3 work as I hope here?  The CN3058E will adjust the constant current based off an external resistor on pin 2, and I've swapped the original for an I2C-controllable digipot, assuming that I can control the current that way.  Am I off base or missing anything glaring?  Info page for the charging IC is here, if that helps: http://www.consonance-elec.com/en/97.html

Thanks in advance!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf