Author Topic: Non intentional FCC certification for Signal Generator?  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Bandit-Technical

• Contributor
Non intentional FCC certification for Signal Generator?
« on: September 03, 2015, 01:45:38 pm »
Let's say for a product like Signal Generator, which has of course all types of mixed-signal electronics inside and an SMA output jack for freq. out, am I correct that in terms of FCC the only required certification is unintentional radiator?

Here is a thing, if during a test, they turn it on and SMA out there is just as is... of course it will radiate maybe some and violate conditions of unintentional radiator, but on another side, user supposed to attach shielded coax cable there.

That's basically was a reson I wanted to make sure that unintentional radiator is only type of certification needed for that product.

Offline qno

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Non intentional FCC certification for Signal Generator?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:48:22 pm »
I do not know what the max output voltage is of the generator but you need quite some voltage levels to detect unwanted levels at 3 meter distance.
Why spend money I don't have on things I don't need to impress people I don't like?

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 08:55:07 pm »
FCC has an exemption for test equipment, check that out.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 08:57:18 pm »
Just to make sure you can connect a terminator to the output. Still if the generator is designed well the most likely source of emissions is any cable connected to it (like a power cable, USB cable, RS232, etc).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline forrestc

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 01:47:42 am »
Let's say for a product like Signal Generator, which has of course all types of mixed-signal electronics inside and an SMA output jack for freq. out, am I correct that in terms of FCC the only required certification is unintentional radiator?

Here is a thing, if during a test, they turn it on and SMA out there is just as is... of course it will radiate maybe some and violate conditions of unintentional radiator, but on another side, user supposed to attach shielded coax cable there.

That's basically was a reson I wanted to make sure that unintentional radiator is only type of certification needed for that product.

As marshallh said, I don't think you need a FCC cert for this:

14 CFR 15.103 Exempted devices.
The following devices are subject only to the general conditions of operation in ยงยง 15.5 and 15.29 and are exempt from the specific technical standards and other requirements contained in this part. The operator of the exempted device shall be required to stop operating the device upon a finding by the Commission or its representative that the device is causing harmful interference. Operation shall not resume until the condition causing the harmful interference has been corrected. Although not mandatory, it is strongly recommended that the manufacturer of an exempted device endeavor to have the device meet the specific technical standards in this part.
(c) A digital device used exclusively as industrial, commercial, or medical test equipment.

I'd recommend reading that section, along with the note on (i).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf