Author Topic: Is there a difference between NTSC and PAL CRT tubes?  (Read 1958 times)

Offline TinkeringTomasTopic starter

Is there a difference between NTSC and PAL CRT tubes?
« on: March 20, 2023, 09:32:49 pm »
Hi!

Are there any CRT TV aficionado here who can tell me if there is a difference between NTSC and PAL tubes? I know the shadowmask doesn't usually line up with scanlines and neither does it align with the "pixels" horizontally, so I would guess the tubes are the same. But are they?

I'm asking because I may be repairing an NTSC (Japanese) CRT TV and may need to replace the tube if I'm unlucky. As I live in Europe, getting an NTSC TV as a donor may prove expensive. It would be nice if I could replace it with one from a PAL device.

Thanks!

(I sure hope this is the right place to ask. I can't find any other place on the forum to put it. Repair maybe?)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 09:34:43 pm by TinkeringTomas »

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
Re: Is there a difference between NTSC and PAL CRT tubes?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 10:15:39 pm »
No basic difference, shadow mask etc. would be the same.
The only potential difference could be the vertical deflection coils due to the 25/30 Hz.

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 10:51:17 pm »
I think you're confusing the (in)famous NTSC "Hue" control with phosphors. I see no reason for using different reds.

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 10:54:14 pm »
I think you're confusing the (in)famous NTSC "Hue" control with phosphors. I see no reason for using different reds.
No I am not. Read the colorimetry sections of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 12:09:12 am »
Strange how your posts disappear. Trolling much?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 02:40:19 am »
Hi!

Are there any CRT TV aficionado here who can tell me if there is a difference between NTSC and PAL tubes? I know the shadowmask doesn't usually line up with scanlines and neither does it align with the "pixels" horizontally, so I would guess the tubes are the same. But are they?

I'm asking because I may be repairing an NTSC (Japanese) CRT TV and may need to replace the tube if I'm unlucky. As I live in Europe, getting an NTSC TV as a donor may prove expensive. It would be nice if I could replace it with one from a PAL device.

Thanks!

(I sure hope this is the right place to ask. I can't find any other place on the forum to put it. Repair maybe?)

No the tubes should be exactly the same.

I was considering the possibility of different heater voltages allowing for series string heaters differing in NA & EU, but most of the surviving colour TVs are solid state, with the CRT heaters supplied from an overwind on the Horizontal output transformer.

Offline TinkeringTomasTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 05:49:50 pm »
Awesome! Thanks all! It's weird that there is no way to find this information anywhere (or it's just me).

I hope I don't have to do a tube swap, but just in case I've already been looking to salvage some locally. I expect the availability to keep going down the following years. Who in their right mind would still produce new ones? Would be a fun Kickstarter though, but probably not economically viable.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 07:33:58 pm »
Near the end of the life of CRT TVs a huge number were multi-standard, and would accept almost any TV signal and display it correctly. 525 line or 625 line. 50Hz or 60Hz. PAL, NTSC or some variants of SECAM. It made no difference what came in, a perfectly good picture was displayed.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 11:30:27 pm »
I believe there IS a difference between northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere tubes.
Based on their manufactured convergence and degaussing with respect tho the earths magnetic fields.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 01:43:06 am »
I believe there IS a difference between northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere tubes.
Based on their manufactured convergence and degaussing with respect tho the earths magnetic fields.

I've never been sure whether this is so, or if it is an urban myth.
If it is true, it probably is only valid for delta gun tubes.
Trinitrons & their clones have a lot less ironmongery inside.

In any case, CRT TVs degauss every time they are turned on, & it works well.

If you leave 27 inch Sonys close to large magnets like those on TV Studio floor monitor speakers, the purity suffers.
I was getting called on to degauss them regularly, until I realised they were being left on 24/7.
Making it my mission to stroll through the studio & turn them off soon reduced my manual degaussing callouts to zero.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 01:57:15 am »
Awesome! Thanks all! It's weird that there is no way to find this information anywhere (or it's just me).

I hope I don't have to do a tube swap, but just in case I've already been looking to salvage some locally. I expect the availability to keep going down the following years. Who in their right mind would still produce new ones? Would be a fun Kickstarter though, but probably not economically viable.

A bit more I hadn't added.
Colour tubes in good condition are quite capable of being adjusted to Illuminants "C" for NTSC, or "D" for PAL/SECAM.
The only places anyone really cared in the old days was at TV production & transmission facilities.

Many "domestic style" TVs came with default Illuminant "C", & if used in a TV Studio had to be readjusted to "D" to match the dedicated Broadcast equipment in countries using the latter standard.

If tubes are "getting on in years", it may be difficult to set to either standard, so a compromise which wasn't too jarring to the eye was often used for domestic TVs.

Offline bidrohini1

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 08:52:08 am »

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 02:48:37 pm »
If you just rotate a colour tube the colours on the screen go crazy, due to its reorientation in the earth's magnetic field. You just need to cycle the power to degauss the mask, and it cleans up. This could be a big issue with things like colour tubes in aircraft, or entertainment systems in buses and trains. I think they had some kind of regularly firing degauss in those.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 06:08:47 pm »
If you just rotate a colour tube the colours on the screen go crazy, due to its reorientation in the earth's magnetic field. You just need to cycle the power to degauss the mask, and it cleans up. This could be a big issue with things like colour tubes in aircraft, or entertainment systems in buses and trains. I think they had some kind of regularly firing degauss in those.

Color tubes in aircraft were mostly various single gun designs as far as I know, there was the Penetron and another one the name escapes me that used index lines of UV phosphor. I don't think the TVs used in land vehicles typically had anything special, we had a portable color CRT TV that we took on our boat when I was a kid and it was just a standard TV. I don't think TV tubes were as sensitive as high resolution computer monitors, those usually had a degauss button.

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2023, 06:14:20 pm »
It was certainly an issue for grade 1 picture monitors, had some wind up in NZ and had to fly a guy out to redo the convergence.
Mind you, grade 1 monitors were INSANE technology at the time, real cost no object stuff.

The effect was not huge, and degauss obviously dealt with the shadow mask magnetisation, but broadcast engineers are picky bastards. 

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2023, 07:04:58 pm »
Color tubes in aircraft were mostly various single gun designs as far as I know, there was the Penetron and another one the name escapes me that used index lines of UV phosphor.
That’s the beam-index tube, for example the Sony Indextron.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2023, 07:18:50 pm »

Color tubes in aircraft were mostly various single gun designs as far as I know, there was the Penetron and another one the name escapes me that used index lines of UV phosphor. I don't think the TVs used in land vehicles typically had anything special, we had a portable color CRT TV that we took on our boat when I was a kid and it was just a standard TV. I don't think TV tubes were as sensitive as high resolution computer monitors, those usually had a degauss button.
For aircraft systems that's (at least mostly) the case. For the entertainment systems in passenger aircraft things like Penetrons can't work. They were custom made systems based on conventional picture tubes, and you had to put up with the funky effects as the aircraft navigated.

River boats aren't a big problem, except for ferries. The TV is usually only used when a pleasure boat is moored. I remember some really funky pictures on ferries, though. Long distance buses and coaches were also a problem, especially on sections of the journey weaving around towns.

Offline DMX

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2023, 08:37:04 pm »
No diffrence.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2023, 08:45:01 pm »
River boats aren't a big problem, except for ferries. The TV is usually only used when a pleasure boat is moored. I remember some really funky pictures on ferries, though. Long distance buses and coaches were also a problem, especially on sections of the journey weaving around towns.

We used it at anchor too where the boat pivots around with currents and tide. For a while you could buy fancy vans that had a CRT TV built in for the rear seat passengers and I don't think there was anything special about those either. Small tubes with relatively coarse shadow masks are not as sensitive as high resolution or high end broadcast monitor tubes.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2023, 09:54:49 pm »
The degaussing coil would need to be flipped 180 degree  ::)
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2023, 11:19:49 pm »
It was certainly an issue for grade 1 picture monitors, had some wind up in NZ and had to fly a guy out to redo the convergence.
Mind you, grade 1 monitors were INSANE technology at the time, real cost no object stuff.

The effect was not huge, and degauss obviously dealt with the shadow mask magnetisation, but broadcast engineers are picky bastards.

You got done! ---------At TVW7 we did all such things ourselves.
I hated delta tubes, as try as you might, it was almost impossible to get them as good as Trinitrons.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2023, 11:42:02 pm »
The degaussing coil would need to be flipped 180 degree  ::)

The magnetic field does that every half cycle.

By the bye, it is a "fun thing" when the monitor manufacturer inadvertently fits the degaussing coil thermistor for 120v into the 240v position & vice versa.
It degausses Ok for years, then suddenly on "turn on" one day, there is a blinding flash & a smell like fireworks.

Thankfully, Sony did just transpose them, & there was a perfect 240v one in the other position.
A bit of a cleanup of the soot, move the correct one to its proper spot, & "bob's your uncle".

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2023, 01:30:21 am »
You got done! ---------At TVW7 we did all such things ourselves.
I hated delta tubes, as try as you might, it was almost impossible to get them as good as Trinitrons.

Trinitrons were in a league of their own right from the start. I still remember the first time I saw one, the appearance of the tube with its vertically flat face was really striking, and the picture was stunning.

I've always kind of wanted a vintage delta gun color TV though, they were largely before my time, everything had inline guns by the 80s, less fussing around but not as interesting.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf