Author Topic: Oscilloscope pong for 1 or 2 players.  (Read 196396 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Oscilloscope pong for 1 or 2 players.
« Reply #475 on: May 19, 2017, 05:49:08 pm »
Tough crowd. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #476 on: May 19, 2017, 10:01:19 pm »
Just wanted to let you guys know I'm back working on the board again. I ended up having some work come up at the beginning of last week and haven't had any free time the past week. Now that things have calmed down I can finish the board up. :)

Thanks for the update, Tim. I still get a chuckle from your pretentiously polysyllabic profile prose. An amusingly astute archetype of alliteration it is.

Haha, thanks, glad someone gets it!

I came up with it about 10 years ago, back when blogs were at the peak of their popularity. A friend and I used to have a game where we'd try to find blogs with the most pretentiously verbose tag lines possible; run by people who think big words = smart. So anyway, I came up with that Polysyllabic Prose thing and used it as the heading on my website/blog for years, though I finally had to take it down awhile back, as I started using my site more and more for business.

Now I just use it on forums. At least people can see it here. :D
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #477 on: May 21, 2017, 05:51:38 am »
I've been occupied with other things the past couple of weeks too, but am still working away at the video version. I'm not going to bother with any more progress videos on YouTube; the next video will be of the completed machine.

My hand-drawn (scribbled) documentation was starting to get a mess and beginning to become a nightmare to prepare neatly by hand. Some of the schematics for various functional circuit blocks (the score counters for instance) take up multiple sheets of graph paper and stitching the pages together and trying to get the initial layout correct is too much of a PITA, so I've reverted to drafting all of the schematics for this project in CAD this time around. And with more than a weeks break I need to get orientated again. I'll hit the soldering iron again once the documentation for the currently completed circuitry is completed.

Attached is what I have completed so far. Full resolution versions currently here and being added:  http://www.glensstuff.com/videopong/

EDIT: Oops; several errors noticed in the "Paddle video generators" schematic. Fixed.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 02:57:27 pm by GK »
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #478 on: May 23, 2017, 05:13:34 am »
In what are those schematics drawn in? They have such a nice oldschool look to it. Like something you would find in a old service manual or magazene.

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #479 on: May 23, 2017, 12:31:30 pm »
Protel 99SE, but I've made my own component libraries.

Just uploaded a bunch more schematics for preview & corrected some errors in the previous ones:

http://www.glensstuff.com/videopong/

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
Oscilloscope pong for 1 or 2 players.
« Reply #480 on: May 23, 2017, 10:19:53 pm »

Just uploaded a bunch more schematics for preview & corrected some errors in the previous ones:

Looking very nice! Man, I wish the schematic capture part of DipTrace supported 45 degree wires. It looks so much nicer than the lopsided way I have to do it. :(

So I've spent the last two nights picking up where I left off with Scope Pong; I'll have a progress update soon. We're in the home stretch!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:32:55 am by timb »
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #481 on: May 24, 2017, 12:33:40 am »

Wow, excellent! Thanks, Glen.

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #482 on: May 24, 2017, 01:19:36 pm »
Looking very nice! Man, I wish the schematic capture part of DipTrace supported 45 degree wires. It looks so much nicer than the lopsided way I have to do it. :(

Yeah, LTspice doesn't support diagonal wires either, which annoys me. If you try to do X-ed wires it forces you to draw a Nazi swastika. 

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #483 on: May 24, 2017, 04:26:09 pm »
LTspice doesn't support diagonal wires...
Yes it does.
To draw diagonal wires, hold down Ctrl while drawing the wire.

The following users thanked this post: HackedFridgeMagnet, schmitt trigger

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #484 on: May 25, 2017, 12:34:00 am »

Yeah, LTspice doesn't support diagonal wires either, which annoys me. If you try to do X-ed wires it forces you to draw a Nazi swastika.

I believe you can hold down OPT (CTRL on the PC) to do diagonal wires in LTspice. :D

Edit: Beaten!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:38:05 pm by timb »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Mukrakiish

• Contributor
« Reply #485 on: May 25, 2017, 01:39:11 pm »

I believe you can hold down OPT (CTRL on the PC) to do diagonal wires in LTspice. :D

Just went and checked it, sure enough...there's your diagnol lines! That's just like the couple shortcuts I found in Solidworks the other day, totally changed my day-to-day work flow now. You're awesome Tim!

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #486 on: May 25, 2017, 02:49:48 pm »

Just went and checked it, sure enough...there's your diagnol lines! That's just like the couple shortcuts I found in Solidworks the other day, totally changed my day-to-day work flow now. You're awesome Tim!

:D

I've been using LTspice for years and still occasionally discover little secrets like that; it's especially bad on the Mac since there's no toolbar or real UI to speak of. Everything is shortcut keys or right click menus. It reminds me of a terrible Windows 3.1 program.

Though, once you get the hang of the shortcuts you can draft schematics pretty quickly. I wish I could do schematics as quickly in DipTrace!

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #487 on: June 17, 2017, 11:18:09 am »
Hi Timb,
How is the pcb layout progressing?

Offline CharlesSpong

• Contributor
« Reply #488 on: June 17, 2017, 03:55:08 pm »
This project is really cool, you should consider doing a kick-starter for it.

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #489 on: June 18, 2017, 10:31:46 am »
Yes, .......... Earth to timb, over.

I've been doing shack renovations, so have been a bit remiss on the video version. Getting back to it soon.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #490 on: June 20, 2017, 02:26:25 pm »
Yes, .......... Earth to timb, over.

I've been doing shack renovations, so have been a bit remiss on the video version. Getting back to it soon.

Yes, I'm getting back onto this soon! I've been going back and forth between two customer projects for the last month, but those jobs are done now and I've got a bit of free time to finish this up. :)

Sorry about the false start last time.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:58:29 pm by timb »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #491 on: June 27, 2017, 11:57:35 pm »
Hey guys, so I took time over the weekend to do a full review of the schematics and layout, in order to get back up to speed. It was well worth it, as I found several errors (one of them a showstopper). So now I'm proceeding with the final stages of layout (connecting all the blocks together) and hope to have progress by the end of the weekend.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:33:01 pm by timb »

The following users thanked this post: HackedFridgeMagnet, tautech, MK14

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #492 on: July 04, 2017, 02:25:41 am »
Small update: I got a bunch of the remaining nets connected over the weekend and fixed all the errors I had found last weekend. Maybe July 4th will be Indepongdence Day? We'll see!

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #493 on: July 09, 2017, 01:50:00 pm »
OK, that's good to hear  :)

I finally got back to the video version this weekend. After a late night this evening the colour video circuitry is all soldered up. I still have to reroute the interconnecting wires neatly, but it's currently fully operational. I opted for a green scoreboard/boundary, red paddles, a yellow ball and a white court net/divider.

Of the currently assembled panel, the colour video generation circuitry occupies the 150mm X 300mm board on the bottom left. The currently vacant 150mm X 150mm space directly to the right of this board will sport the regulated power supply electronics (+/-5V & +/-15V). Actually there are two independent composite video channels/outputs on the video board. One is the colour channel for colour monitors/televisions and the other is a monochrome output in which the luma component is only ever one of two levels - zero (black) or full amplitude white. I soldered up this additional monochrome channel as the colour video signal rendered in a greyscale when viewed on a monochrome TV doesn't look as good. Red, for example, has a rather low-level luma component (30% of peak white), and the paddles appear quite dark on a B&W display. For the monochrome channel the discrete video components for the paddles, ball, court net, etc, are simply logically ORed together. In the colour channel they are processed by a luma (Y) matrix to satisfy the PAL standard; Y = 0.3R+0.59G+0.11B.

The blank PCB currently tacked onto the top right of the assembled panel will sport the sound effects/synth circuitry and the remainder of the games control logic. That's the next part to get soldered.

I must admit it's all beginning to look a little complimicated now.......  :P

The colour channel:

The monochrome channel:

Video board:

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 02:18:55 am by GK »

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #494 on: July 09, 2017, 01:59:27 pm »
I'm not convinced the colour is really worthwhile - don't think it adds much to the overall experience and adds more complexity.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #495 on: July 09, 2017, 02:00:41 pm »
I'm not convinced the colour is really worthwhile - don't think it adds much to the overall experience and adds more complexity.

Thanks.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #496 on: July 10, 2017, 03:52:32 am »

Thanks.

But it's cool. ;)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #497 on: July 10, 2017, 03:55:24 am »
I must admit it's all beginning to look a little complimicated now.......  :P

Hmm, could be. Just a little complimicated, but still so...organized. :o

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #498 on: July 10, 2017, 05:14:02 am »
Actually the color generation circuitry does not look all that big. I would guess it mostly leverages signals from corresponding circuits that actually draw the objects, so it simply muxes in a different color tone depending on what is being drawn. PAL format is probably easier here.

Offline GKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #499 on: August 03, 2017, 02:57:40 pm »
Maybe July 4th will be Indepongdence Day? We'll see!

2018?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf