Author Topic: Over voltage protection design question  (Read 431 times)

Offline skysurf76Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Over voltage protection design question
« on: March 24, 2023, 01:55:38 am »
I am designing a replacement for an old part.  The old part had to pass a safe to turn on resistance test of 8-40 ohms.  The new design has input power handled by an LDO that by itself would read ~3 megaohms to a DMM.  The LDO I selected can handle 60 volts input.  The expected input power is 5 volts.  I selected the LDO because I wanted to make the new design fault tolerant.  Some time after I selected the LDO I discovered the fact that the input must measure between 8-40 ohms.  I have tried everything I can think of to provide a 30 ohms measured resistance on the input while maintaining the 60 volt fault tolerance without success.  In essence I need a device in parallel with the LDO that will show 30 ohms resistance to a DMM, but that will go open circuit with any input voltage over 3 volts (the maximum voltage DMM will produce in this range of resistance).

Right now the only solution I have is putting a 2 watt resistor in parallel with the LDO so the safe to turn on test passes.  That resistor will continuously dissipate a little less than a watt and can only handle up to 7.7 volts input.  I would love to find a solution where the DMM read between 8-40 ohms, but when 5 volts was applied to the input the path through the 30 ohms resistor was turned off.

I should also mention that I am extremely space constrained on the board.

Any ideas would be massively appreciated.

I also asked many people why there was an upper resistance limit on a safe to turn on test, and no one had any answers.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 02:04:33 am by skysurf76 »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Over voltage protection design question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 10:02:27 pm »
Some time after I selected the LDO I discovered the fact that the input must measure between 8-40 ohms.

This doesn't make sense as a requirement. First step is to find out why someone wants it done this way. Or if it is part of a regulation.

You could probably have a zener/voltage divider going to a depletion mode FET, which shuts off the resistors when 5V is received. Or maybe a low current PTC. But this is a waste of time to design blindly.

Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 10:55:55 pm »
Some time after I selected the LDO I discovered the fact that the input must measure between 8-40 ohms.
This doesn't make sense as a requirement. First step is to find out why someone wants it done this way. Or if it is part of a regulation.
Millitary or Railway procedures have this sort of requirement so that a non-skilled person can do basic validation of the system when working on it. When those systems are in place for decades it ends up with bizarre situations like this.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 11:43:52 pm »
If >5V is a fault, then you could protect the resistor and the device as a whole with a TVS+fuse/polyswitch rather than trying to design something that will just sit there and take 60V.

A depletion mode FET could be the basis of a solution to disconnect the resistor, but the trick is pulling the gate negative to turn it off when the device powers up. Just putting it between the top of the resistor and pulling the gate towards ground won't work because the source also gets pulled to ground as the FET turns off, and you end up with a current source (or you flip it around and the body diode will be forward biased which is also a problem).

A relay could work, but obviously at the expense of board space.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf