Author Topic: Passing EMC with wireless power transmitter/receiver  (Read 455 times)

Offline Day101Topic starter

• Contributor
Passing EMC with wireless power transmitter/receiver
« on: November 10, 2021, 08:05:59 pm »
I want to use wireless power to charge a tiny LIR1620 coin cell. This is for use in a product I'm trying to design. I understand the Wireless power transfer is excluded from special testing by complying with these rules.
1320500-0

I did some bench tests with coils and basic half/full rectified circuits on the breadboard which worked quite well but I'm concerned that I could have problems passing EMC testing.
Obviously I've not made a product before so I don't know what problems I will face. I also don't (yet?) have the required equipment to do basic EMC testing at home.

Can anyone tell me if this is likely to cause problems?

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
Re: Passing EMC with wireless power transmitter/receiver
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 08:36:43 pm »
You're not excluded from anything at all.
Anything you do needs to be compliant with the LVD, RFD, EMC, etc. directives, with associated/appropriate harmonized standards (ENxxxxx). That you've found a couple of sentences somewhere is irrelevant, and only fitting to one certain scenario.

I strongly suggest that you involve a CE consultant early in the process, before this gets out of hand. The costs later may kill your business.

Offline Day101Topic starter

• Contributor
Re: Passing EMC with wireless power transmitter/receiver
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 08:28:04 am »
Thanks for your reply, I should have given more info. I spoke to a testing house a few months ago and for the USA I only need EMC. And wireless power systems normally require special testing by the FCC but not if I follow the limitations I quoted in that FCC document.

It makes my design better if I can use wireless power transfer and a LIR1620, but I can make a product with a 3 month life using a CR1620 instead.
My concern was that a wireless power transmitter to charge the LIR1620 might be difficult to pass EMC.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf