Author Topic: Piezo Cylinder Driver  (Read 328 times)

Offline AluzTopic starter

Piezo Cylinder Driver
« on: April 26, 2024, 09:21:52 pm »
Hello I'm looking to use piezo cylinder transducers in an underwater lens cleaning assembly part of a probe. The assembly is complete but I need a bit of help with the driving electronics. There's no suggested voltage from the manufacturer or reference circuit, but the entire device is 12v that can be boosted for the piezo driver if needed. Any help with a compact circuit would be much appreciated!

https://www.steminc.com/PZT/en/piezo-tube-22x20x10mm-180-khz
Part Number: SMC22D20H10412

Piezoelectric Ceramic Cylinder. Circunferencial vibration mode.

Piezo Material: SM412
Dimensions: Ext. Diam. 22 x Int Diam 20 x Height 10mm
Resonant frequency fr: 180 KHz±2 KHz
Cs tanδ => LCR meter at 1KHz 1Vrms

fr   Zr   fa   Keff   Cs   tand
(KHz)   (W)   (KHz)   (%)   (nF)   (%)
158.35   2.95   181.63   48.97   11.05   0.94

Applications, among others, are: Piezo transducer used for vibration, sensing, matter dispersion, biomedical probes, sonar, Hydrophone

Online moffy

• Super Contributor
Re: Piezo Cylinder Driver
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 01:18:17 am »
The excitation voltage, depends on the amount of movement you need for your lens cleaning, which depends upon the piezo shape and material as well as your mechanical coupling and damping. So you are basically driving an 11nF capacitor which will look more resistive the more energy is absorbed mechanically, can't say how much you need because it is specific to your setup and requirements. You do need to get from the manufacturer a maximum allowable voltage for your piezo and then just try a signal generator and a high voltage amp for piezos and work out what you need to drive the cylinder at. Once you have those figures you know what to design.

Offline AluzTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 10:10:16 pm »
Thank you, I checked with them and they said 80v max pulsed. I have a signal generator but not one that has a voltage that high, how can I connect this to a high voltage amp and how do I build the high voltage amp. All piezo specs are in my last message, setup and requirements are not too important I'm just looking to do a quick bench test.

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 10:56:41 pm »
I've used modules from these folks before. They worked well and were super easy to integrate into our application.

https://www.piezodrive.com/modules/

Other than that, there is a circuit diagram of a piezo driver somewhere in Art of Electronics that I've used before. You will have to add a 12v to 100 ish V step up switch mode converter to power it. But you will probably find an off-the-shelf  module to do that.

I had a quick google to see if I could find the AoE circuit for you and it lead me straight to my own forum post from long ago (which I'd totally forgotten about) where I asked basically the same question :)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/0-to-100v-piezo-driver-ideas/

I remember using the Apex high voltage op-amps in one project and they worked Ok but were pricy and hard to get hold of (might be long since obsolete by now).

The following users thanked this post: moffy, Aluz

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf