Author Topic: Please help to identify a connector (cable assembly)  (Read 867 times)

Offline analogRFTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Please help to identify a connector (cable assembly)
« on: May 24, 2022, 02:05:48 am »
I have posted this on Repair forum with no response so I thought this forum was the right place.

The shown cable assembly (2x20 pins) is used in Keysight Fieldfox to connect the front panel to the main board.
It is way too short (1.5") such that even re-assembly by itself is a hard job.

Does anybody know what type of connector this is?
I would like to buy a longer cable assembly that fits so that it would let me to open the device
and still be able turn it on.
Yes, I know one dirty way is to cut all 40 wires and solder extension wires to them but I want to avoid that as much as possible :-DD :-DD

I tried my best on Digikey but could not find anything similar in size that fits into the male on board connectors
The "fancy" part in the middle of the female connector is misleading because the male connector is just made of simple pins
that go into the holes. so just having the right size would be enough, does not need to match exactly the shape.

any help is highly appreciated

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
Re: Please help to identify a connector (cable assembly)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 03:54:35 pm »
Potentially a Molex Pico-clasp. https://www.molex.com/molex/products/family/picoclasp?parentKey=wire_to_board_connectors
Pitch is right, general shape is right, but eyeball the details to make sure it's not a competitors very similar connector.

The following users thanked this post: analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 04:01:54 pm »
Potentially a Molex Pico-clasp. https://www.molex.com/molex/products/family/picoclasp?parentKey=wire_to_board_connectors
Pitch is right, general shape is right, but eyeball the details to make sure it's not a competitors very similar connector.

Yes I found it late last night, the female connector housing is P/N 501189-4010
and the crimp pins are 501193-8000 (gold plated)
and the male connector is 501190 IIRC

no ready made cable assembly, so need to crimp 80 wires....I have ordered the parts from mouser
but I dont have the proper crimper....either I will solder the wires to the pins or just cut the wires on the current cable assembly and extend them.. :palm:

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 08:11:32 pm »
You know you can buy pre-crimped wires and assemble them into cables yourself, right? E.g. https://www.digikey.ch/short/f0mjwvdh
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 08:13:38 pm by tooki »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 08:31:59 pm »
yes but as it turns out those pre-crimped assemblies listed on digikey or mouser do not fit this particular housing. In fact i could not find anu pre-crimped wires for this connector housing even on molex website.

not to mention that they are not in stock anyway

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 01:14:07 am »
yes but as it turns out those pre-crimped assemblies listed on digikey or mouser do not fit this particular housing. In fact i could not find anu pre-crimped wires for this connector housing even on molex website.

not to mention that they are not in stock anyway
What makes you think all this? I don’t see anything that would indicate this to be the case. The single and dual row ones take the same contacts. (The two part numbers you see are for tin and gold versions. For whatever reason, they list only the gold contacts for dual row connectors.) If you look at the drawings for the gold and tin contacts, the dimensions are absolutely identical, so it stands to reason they’re interchangeable. Moreover, the drawings refer to each other for the other plating.

They don’t make the pre-crimped wires with gold contacts any more, but they do sell the tin plated ones, and they’re in stock…

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 01:46:53 am »
You know you can buy pre-crimped wires and assemble them into cables yourself, right? E.g. https://www.digikey.ch/short/f0mjwvdh
Off topic, but I have even seen pre crimped wires, & the connector bodies to match, advertised for DB9 connectors. I tried to convince a previous employer that they would save a lot of man-hours, but they refused to believe they existed!

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf