Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

Power Supply Testing

(1/3) > >>

Chet T16:
What's the standard run of things I should test on my Atten power supply that may be of interest to people?

Using the Rigol in single shot i captured it powering up (no switchable outputs) Should this be done with a load or without or both? Not that I have anything other than 1/4w resistors here atm.
Voltages? Max/min/middle/shouldn't matter?

What else?

Also, is there a way to get the Rigol to measure risetime in single shot mode?

Simon:
set you scope to single shot with the trigger voltage low like <1V and set an appropriate time scale and set the trigger on a rising edge, then power up and enjoy the show

bfritz:
Oscilloscope shot of power up, and power down.

I like to get scope shots of the voltage response for a step load change from minimum load to maximum load, and then from maximum to minimum.  This lets you see a lot regarding stability of the control loop of the supply.  I've seen some inexpensive power supplies ring and oscillate quite badly.  If you have a load that has multiple settings you can change between, that is great.  If not, I usually use a fairly high valued resistor, and put a constant current load in parallel.  I use one channel to monitor the voltage output, and then use one or two channels to monitor the current of the load or loads.  I then usually use the math functions on the scope to convert the voltage across the resistor and load sense R to currents, and add them together.

BravoV:
Once you've tested on full load to see the regulation and ripple or others like above posts, suggesting to give it hell to see how it's dynamic response by jolting it using this -> http://www.ko4bb.com/Test_Equipment/DynamicLoad/

Built it while ago, used it a lot on psus, and it pretty easy and cheap too, this will quickly give you an idea how good your psu on it's load transient response, over/under shoot recovery/performance, ringing, regulation loop stability and etc.

Usually toy psu will not have a chance under this kind of stress and a good psu will really stand out among the crowd.

Zero999:
Awhile ago I built a bipolar LM317/LM337 PSU.

I tested the transient response with a MOSFET switching a load resistor with the gate being driven by a signal generator.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version