Author Topic: Practically smallest SMD size for assembly run of 1 to 100 pieces by PCBWay etc  (Read 471 times)

Offline Wilson__Topic starter

• Contributor
What is practically smallest SMD size, for making PCB and component assembly, for 1 to 100 pieces by PCBWay etc. for these components:

Resistor (signal, no heat rating required)
Power line by pass capacitor
LED as visual indicators, charging and done

Do they x-ray inspect board with leadless chips, 1 x 1 mm and 2 x 2 mm, and masking sure there is no assembly error, no solder or shorted solder?  They need to be correct as it is too small for me to debug or re-solder.

Many thanks

Online xvr

• Regular Contributor
    • LinkedIn
Why not ask PCBWay directly? I guess they know what they do much better than EEVblog community.

The following users thanked this post: Someone, Wilson__

Offline charliehorse55

• Contributor
How small does it need to be? I use 0402 as standard for passives, never had a problem with it. I just ordered a board from them with ~600 components per board, had 3x3mm 9-pin QFN,  SOT-23, and a few different ICs with 0.5mm pin spacing.

They have x-ray inspection available for BGA and other high pin count devices, but normally they rely on optical inspection. It works quite well.

The following users thanked this post: Wilson__

• Contributor
Wonder any one experience on 0201 R?

Wonder if they (highly skilled) manually pick and place, or use machine, on test sample run of quantity one?  Board has 25 components and very small.

PCBWay pcb spec is 0.1524 trace widet and spacing.  PCB itself is good for 0201

This photo is one of the well known RP2040 tiny board.  0201 R are used extensively.

Many thanks

Online xvr

• Regular Contributor
    • LinkedIn
Yes, they accept 0201

PCBA capability page - https://www.pcbway.com/assembly-capabilities.html

The following users thanked this post: Wilson__

• Contributor
Many thanks

https://www.pcbway.com/assembly-capabilities.html

Passive Component: we can accept components as small as 01005, 0201,0402.
    BGA: We have the ability to handle BGA of 0.3mm pitch for rigid PCBs and 0.4mm for flex boards with X-ray testing. (The details can be confirmed according to the board design.)
    Fine Pitch Parts: we can assemble 0.25mm fine pitch parts.

Note: the 'normal-level' PCB making is up to 0201 although assembly is 01005.   There is advanced-level service

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf