Author Topic: Programming off the shelf CSR8635 module  (Read 170355 times)

Offline konsgn

Re: Programming off the shelf CSR8635 module
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2018, 03:50:17 am »
For the CSR chips that work at 3.3V(e.g. BC417, the one in HC-05), the Blue Pill dev board will be all you need.

For talking to 1.8V devices you will want a voltage translator to bring down the 3.3V to 1.8V. (Resistors to make sure not too much current flows may be enough, No promises though).

If you have an official black magic probe(which has a built in translator), you can just reprogram it to act as an official CSR programmer.

Offline mehdikh15

« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2018, 09:06:36 am »
hello dears

i read shtokYd question about creating an audio transmitter with csr productions. i relized too that he mentioned usable chips are csr8670 and 8645 because of their available app-tx feature. i want to ask that  could anyone acheive any success in that ? could u create an audio transmitter  ?

actually i have two csr8645 modules, and i want  to create a complete audio tranceiver . first of all i should ask , how can i make two these modules paired with each other (in fact one receiver one transmitter) ? then how can i  active aptx feature in this chip ? i should mention that i could  setup bluesuits and csr configuration tools with one spi programmer setup.

i will appreciate your response .
best regards

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2018, 11:26:56 am »
As far as I am aware, only the CSR8670/8675 are capable of being a host/transmitter.  Often these are ROM based with external EEPROM for config settings - so they are pretty much "hard coded" as receivers or transmitters, you cannot "reprogram" a receiver to be a transmitter.
An alternative would be to purchase a cheap bluetooth audio transmitter - often these have a tx/rx switch, support apt-x, and are modular - small sub modules on a PCB with a few external passives.

It is actually quite a cheap way of getting the modules, since Ebay and Amazon have plenty of csr8670-based transmitters.

I have a a couple of these as clones: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-TaoTronics-Wireless-Black/dp/B06WD8Z21S  which cost about $12. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:45:36 pm by Buriedcode »

The following users thanked this post: mehdikh15

Offline mehdikh15

« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2018, 07:00:25 am »
thanks for your attention :-+ . so you are saying we don't have any access to modify their ROMs ? do you know about the software that shtokYd was telling about that I guess was called ADK.. ? (he was trying to download it from Chinese website 52bluetooth.com)

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2018, 05:11:37 pm »
thanks for your attention :-+ . so you are saying we don't have any access to modify their ROMs ? do you know about the software that shtokYd was telling about that I guess was called ADK.. ? (he was trying to download it from Chinese website 52bluetooth.com)

Well, by definition you cannot modify a ROM - its an acronym for "read only memory".  It is either OTP - one time programmable, or actually hard coded.

Most bluetooth modules based on CSR/Qualcomm devices are either ROM-based, with external EEPROM, or.. they load in firmware from external flash.  The latter would require the SDK for CSR/Qualcomm and some example firmware.  Long story short is, it would be much cheaper and easier for you to purchase a ready-made product, and modify it or reverse engineer it to suit your needs.  A quick search for "bluetooth audio tx/rx" yields lots of results.

Offline mehdikh15

« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2018, 09:57:47 am »
 My persistence to modify default settings is that I have some specific configurations like sample rate of adc or stereo/ mono etc. by the way I cannot thank you enough for your suggestions and informations   :-+

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2018, 07:10:28 pm »
My persistence to modify default settings is that I have some specific configurations like sample rate of adc or stereo/ mono etc. by the way I cannot thank you enough for your suggestions and informations   :-+

Changing the sample rate and channels should be possible with almost any csr bluetooth module, as those appear to be parameters stored in the external EEPROM.  You would need a suitable hardware dongle (either ft232R based, or a chinese clone of a "CSR SPI" device - I have that and it works well).  Also, you can use PSTools to change some parameters, or the "headset configuration utility".  There are different versions for CSR86XX devices (csr8635/45/70/75) and CSRA64xxx (csra64215).

As you have probabyl read in the thread, it is quite easy to "brick" these modules as the software doesn't always write back all the config data.  But you can use PSTools to back up the config before you do anything.

Offline RAZZITEAK

• Contributor
« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2018, 07:52:30 pm »
So I've recently wanting to program the CSR 8600 series with one off those Chinese USB SPI copies. But I had no sucess. I uninstalled the program (Bluesuite). However, in my haste i forgot to check if i had the original installation file saved. Of course i didn't! And now can't seem to get the stupid software anyware. I have tried registering at CSR support but unlike everybody states I didn't receive an Email with a password. Might be qualcomm "fixing" the registration process..  >:(

Is there anybody else who has succeeded in registering or downloading the software suite? Or perhaps are willing of share the it :)

And yes I know there exists old version of the software on Github and the like, but this is likely what I had erlier. I really want a more recent version supporting Windows 10.

Offline RAZZITEAK

• Contributor
« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2018, 08:09:27 pm »
To kinda reply on my own post.
I found a Github post from a couple of days ago and it had a link to the software (don't know how long it will stay there). :-+
2.6.6 64 bit worked beautifully on windows

But it would still be nice to know how one could get the software directly from qualcomm, in case of any future realeses...

Offline DeVolf

« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2018, 06:08:02 am »
Can you provide link, please?

Offline kile

• Contributor
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2018, 08:15:37 am »
I've built a bluetooth speaker based on CSR8635, and I need some help. The circuit has two mono PAM8304 amplifiers which are powered from a 18650 Li-ion battery boosted to 5V by an LT1308. There is also a quad opamp powered by LT1308 which works as 4 comparators giving me a 4-level battery gauge. The CSR8635 module is powered directly from the battery, and it will shut itself off at around 3.2V as it should. But the voltage regulator and the things it powers will not. And this is my problem: I have already over-discharged a few batteries by forgetting to shut the damn thing off.  |O

A solution to this problem would be to have the CSR8635 turn on the power section when it wakes up, and shut it down when it goes to sleep. LT1308 has an enable pin (active high), and I would like to be able to use one of the general purpose PIO pins of the CSR8635 to drive this enable pin. The module would drive the pin high as long as it is awake, and a pull-down resistor would shut the LT1308 off when the module goes to sleep. But I can't find any setting in the config program which would do this. I could sacrifice one of the three indicator LEDs that the module is driving, and have that signal control the LT1308, but I will do that only if I can't use one of the other PIOs.

So the question boils down to this: is there a way to drive a PIO pin high for as long as CSR8635 is awake?

Thank you for help!

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2018, 10:14:03 pm »
You could try using the on-board 1.8V regulator, I believe that is enabled on power up, and disabled when off as it powers the SOC core - its just a 1.8V signal, so enough to drive NPN's (which can then drive TTL inputs, or P channel MOSFETs etc..).

Offline kile

• Contributor
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2018, 03:45:37 pm »
Yes, that is a good idea. I remember using the 1.8V in one of the previous iterations of the circuit as a reference for the 4 battery gauge opamps, and that it was quite noisy. But a low-pass filter would take care of that.

Thanks again!

Offline eugene28

« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2018, 11:39:20 am »
Hi, guys. I have CSRA64215 board with PCM5102 onboard. I tried to re-program the module with ftdi chip. I have stuck with board in program mode or similar. When I connected spi pins it went to weird mode when 2 leds flash slowly. When I disconnected the ftdi board its leds still flash the same. How do I reset it back to normal mode when leds blink fast in turns? Is firmware needs to be updated?
Here is how it looks like:https://youtu.be/sRbPtlobDl8

Offline gamelaster

« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2018, 09:22:44 am »
Hi guys, I'm trying to make charging working on my CSR8635, I supplying a 5V to CHG pin, the USB works, but it doesn't want to charge. Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2018, 11:15:34 pm »
Hi, guys. I have CSRA64215 board with PCM5102 onboard. I tried to re-program the module with ftdi chip. I have stuck with board in program mode or similar. When I connected spi pins it went to weird mode when 2 leds flash slowly. When I disconnected the ftdi board its leds still flash the same. How do I reset it back to normal mode when leds blink fast in turns? Is firmware needs to be updated?
Here is how it looks like:https://youtu.be/sRbPtlobDl8

It is possible you have got the module stuck a "boot loop".  Did you make a backup of the config with PStools first?  These devices are often ROM-based, so there is no firmware.  However for some of the later CSRA64215 modules, these actually have flash on board which *does* store the firmware.  I would have thought you have either got it stuck in config mode, or corrupted the EEPROM config (very easily done since everything except PSTools only writes back certain areas).

As to what the LED flashes mean, there are many possible configurations for the LED patterns, which are customized by each distributor of these modules, so I don't know what state the module is in.

You could hook up your FTDI board again - assuming you have configured that for use with the CSR software - and try to access it via PStools.  If you go to file->dump you can store the entire config as a *.psr file which is handy for a backup, and use this to write back to it should it get corrupted.  From my experience, even if the config is corrupted or erased it is still accessible by an FTDI adapter and PSTools.

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: September 03, 2018, 11:20:19 pm »
Hi guys, I'm trying to make charging working on my CSR8635, I supplying a 5V to CHG pin, the USB works, but it doesn't want to charge. Any ideas?

Thanks

What exactly is your set up?  What battery do you have hooked to VBAT? - it will only work with lithium polymer-type cells.  Also, whether or not the charging is enabled, and how it works depends on its config.  The "Config Tool CSR8600 series" software has *lots* of options with regard to charging, from charging currents to thresholds.  The USB side has several endpoints, from USB headset, to HID remote control, and charger - often not all of these are enabled.

So a link to the board you have, or a photo of it, the battery you're using, and your set up would be helpful to diagnose the problem.

Offline kile

• Contributor
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2019, 10:31:55 pm »
I bought a few CSR8635 modules that the Configuration tool recognizes as CSR8633. It came with A2DP MP3 codec enable turned off, and I can't turn it on. Whenever I write a config to the module with MP3 turned on, it will not boot. I can still read the config or write a known good one without problems, as long as it doesn't have MP3.

Is CSR8633 a less capable version of CSR8635? I couldn't find any datasheet on this version.

Thanks!

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2019, 11:18:00 pm »
I bought a few CSR8635 modules that the Configuration tool recognizes as CSR8633. It came with A2DP MP3 codec enable turned off, and I can't turn it on. Whenever I write a config to the module with MP3 turned on, it will not boot. I can still read the config or write a known good one without problems, as long as it doesn't have MP3.

Is CSR8633 a less capable version of CSR8635? I couldn't find any datasheet on this version.

Thanks!

I have never heard of a CSR8633, there isn't that much publicly available in terms of versions and part numbering.  My guess would be the chip series is call CSR86XX and the 35 and 45 are major ROM versions.  It could well be the 8633 has a different ROM without MP3 capability, so the config is of a different format, and therefore cannot be used with configs from 8635 or 8645.  The 35 doesn't have Apt-X enabled, but appears to have the same spec hardware as the 8645 - so it would appear they just have different ROMs.

Sadly as its ROM there is not way to enable a feature that it has no code for.

Offline fantom3l

« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2019, 06:21:38 pm »
For those in need, that like me have searched for BlueSuite, i have uploaded a few versions that i found around , even the latest at this point BlueSuite 2.6.11 build 1937
here: https://yadi.sk/d/QAdQ7zuP-X62Xg

The following users thanked this post: jopereira

Offline Msprg

• Contributor
« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2019, 08:08:22 pm »
Hi,

So I have CSR8645, and sucesfully made diy "csr-spi" board with FT232RL chip. It works with PSTool and also Headset config tool without any problems apparently (except it is slower than original, and I am occasionally getting some errors, but that is fine...). Now, I have sucesfully configured BT name, PIN and other sorts of things, except:
1. When connected to my Windows (10) PC, every freaking time I change volume just a 1% module generates a beep. Also when I mute/unmute sound, different sound gets played. And to top it off, when I am changing volume, and I am in about 95-100% volume range, a slightly different sound gets played it is higher pitch, and that sound - for me at least - is annoying as hell...  When i connect my Android phone howewer, no sound is played during volume changes... ever... And I even tried to remove ALL audio tones in headset config tool, and also set "Play all feedback tones at the fixed volume" 1 or 0. At this point, all sounds were muted... Well all except the ones I just described here, occuring during volume changes.

2. Every time I power on the module, some bootup sounds gets played, that is okay, but in my case two times i a row. It is like if every time I powered the module, the modure rebooted itself after 1 second. Howewer, this is not as annoying as prevoius issue. I can live with that.

Please I am pretty much desperate at this point, |O please someone tell me how to disable that useless annoying beeping, every time I do anything with volume.

Thanks!

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2019, 08:44:45 pm »
Yeah the tones are pretty annoying, I'll have to play around with the modules I have (shelved the project for now!) to see if I can get rid of them altogether.  The problem really is that these modules cannot have their firmware changed, so if the firmware doesn't allow the boot up/down tones to be changed/disabled, then there isn't much one can do, aside from some clever "delayed unmuting" using an external headphone amp.

As for volume changing tones, I believe those are fixed, after all, if you change the volume, the user has no idea of what value the volume is at, so it must play a tone at that volume.  When connected to your phone, the user has feedback - the screen shows a bar and sometimes a volume value. 

What are you using to connect to your PC?  I have a cheapo "CSR 4.0" dongle, that may behave differently.  Another option is - set the volume to something you are comfortable with, and use an external headphone amp with a volume control - either passive or active.  For my DIY headphones, I have the bluetooth volume set at half max, with a headphone amp (gain 2) and a passive, 400ohm dual pot for volume. That way I don't have to touch the volume controls on the bluetooth module itself.

Offline Msprg

• Contributor
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2019, 02:40:03 pm »
Yeah the tones are pretty annoying, I'll have to play around with the modules I have (shelved the project for now!) to see if I can get rid of them altogether.  The problem really is that these modules cannot have their firmware changed, so if the firmware doesn't allow the boot up/down tones to be changed/disabled, then there isn't much one can do, aside from some clever "delayed unmuting" using an external headphone amp.

As for volume changing tones, I believe those are fixed, after all, if you change the volume, the user has no idea of what value the volume is at, so it must play a tone at that volume.  When connected to your phone, the user has feedback - the screen shows a bar and sometimes a volume value. 

What are you using to connect to your PC?  I have a cheapo "CSR 4.0" dongle, that may behave differently.  Another option is - set the volume to something you are comfortable with, and use an external headphone amp with a volume control - either passive or active.  For my DIY headphones, I have the bluetooth volume set at half max, with a headphone amp (gain 2) and a passive, 400ohm dual pot for volume. That way I don't have to touch the volume controls on the bluetooth module itself.

I think you misunderstood me a bit. Whenever I talk about changing volume/muting whatever, I mean by that manipulating the vol only on device like smartphone or computer. Not by knob on amplifier, nor by pressing a vol up/down buttons on the BT reciever board. Also, it looks like those beeps can be heard, only if A2DP streaming is currently active, I mean, when I just connect my PC to the receiever (yes, via bluetooth,) and start changing/turning volume up/down muting, no beeps, but as soon, as I start playing some music/video/anything with sound, and change volume during the playback, then I hear the beeps mixing with the sound. The reason why is this so much annoying for me, maybe more than you, might be the way I am changing the volume on pc. I have programmable mouse, and while I hold the button on the side, turning mouse wheel causes no scrolling, but volume changing. One step=2% of vol up/down. And pressing the whell toogles mute. So when I want to turn vol up by 20%, so I hold the button on the side, start "scrolling" and at that moment, I am in a beeping hell for a few seconds...

I know that It has to be possible, to disable this bullshit, even though maybe it is really hardcoded in the TROM (TROM=True ROM not like these "ROMs" wich are actually RW), I had the same chip before, which did not make these beeping sounds, but I have shorted on it someting accidentaly, so... :/ yeah... I bought a new one, which does beeps.

So, if you did not figured it out yet, and it appears to be TROM, so no flashing, even there is some "BlueFlash" tool, do you think, that the "ROM" (I mean "OS") could be stored on the P24C128 IC? It is "I2C-Compatible Serial E2PROM" ? Do you think if I would swap these it could behave like the old one I shorted?

Offline mckey128

« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2019, 09:43:06 pm »
Does any of you ever tried to connect two devices to CSR8645 by any chance?

Offline Msprg

• Contributor
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2019, 07:54:20 pm »
Does any of you ever tried to connect two devices to CSR8645 by any chance?
Well yes, I actually kinda did, so what would you like to know?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf