Author Topic: Project Ideas for 500mA 5kV HV Diodes?  (Read 1079 times)

Offline fuzzoliTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Project Ideas for 500mA 5kV HV Diodes?
« on: November 29, 2021, 03:49:57 am »
I acquired a handful of SCH5000 500mA 5kV high voltage diodes.  They're quite expensive little beasts. 

So...

Are there any useful project ideas out there for a part like this, perhaps part of a voltage multiplier to generate a few kV here and there?  I don't have a use for a HV voltage source at this time, but then again, you never know!

Let the comments begin!

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
Re: Project Ideas for 500mA 5kV HV Diodes?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 03:59:11 am »
Id say they are quite cheap, r5000f is 0,3€ at mouser.
Why did you buy them if there is no use for them?

Offline fuzzoliTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 04:20:18 am »
Why did you buy them if there is no use for them?

I found two ESD cabinets at a garage sale and the drawers were full of all sorts of parts -- zeners, transistors of all flavors, etc.  The purchase was for the cabinets -- the parts were just a bonus.  My next post will be to solicit ideas for 800 metal can 2N2222's. ;-)

Online oPossum

• Super Contributor
  • Very dangerous - may attack at any time
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 04:47:13 am »
Build this...

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 05:06:17 am »
If you have one of those electric fly swatters (that struggles with larger insects), add a small camera flash board and connect it to the mesh (in parallel with the existing supply) with one of those diodes and a 330 ohm or so 2W power resistor in line. The 1-2kV from the existing supply would break through the outer shell of the insect allowing the 300V or so from the flash capacitor to finish the job. The resistor limits the peak current to a value that the diode should handle easily.
My next post will be to solicit ideas for 800 metal can 2N2222's. ;-)
Build a clock based on discrete components for logic. Might be easier if you use a 32.768kHz oscillator module rather than try to make an accurate oscillator using a discrete crystal.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 01:23:39 pm »
It's the wrong way around.

First find a project that interests you, then get the parts that fit that project.

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 01:58:18 pm »
They look like microwave oven diodes. Even though they are only rated at 500ma.
They could probably make a nice 2kv plate supply for amateur radio vacuum tube R.F. amplifier.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 03:29:41 pm »
Slow recovery -- no good for flyback/resonant supplies, for the most part.  Need a big old mains-frequency transformer, or audio frequency anyway.  Not really enough for much sparky high voltage stuff, unless you have a bunch to put in series, and an old school neon sign transformer to power it.

Would be fine for tube amps yeah, but be extremely careful around that much DC plus beefy caps backing it up.  And, not a cheap project, tubes and sockets aren't cheap unless you already have some, plus the power transformer, output transformer(s) for audio, or coils and caps for RF, plus, well, the license you need to actually put the thing on the air (not so much expensive, as something you need to get).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf