Author Topic: QFN Adapter sockets to DIP recomendations  (Read 3716 times)

Offline RobertBGTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
QFN Adapter sockets to DIP recomendations
« on: January 01, 2016, 02:15:44 am »
Has anyone used them?Any recommendations?I was looking at Accutek but open to others.
I need to use a 5x5mm 32 pin qfn in a through hole situation and also some prototyping.It used to be available in through hole but not anymore and I see a adapter as working ok for low numbers.They'll have QFP in stock in a few months but that doesn't help me now.

Anyway I'm open to ideas and options and could use a set of adapter sockets for prototyping if someone sells such a thing.

Thanks and Happy New Years

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
Re: QFN Adapter sockets to DIP recomendations
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 05:01:21 am »
Has anyone used them?Any recommendations?I was looking at Accutek but open to others.
I need to use a 5x5mm 32 pin qfn in a through hole situation and also some prototyping.It used to be available in through hole but not anymore and I see a adapter as working ok for low numbers.They'll have QFP in stock in a few months but that doesn't help me now.

Anyway I'm open to ideas and options and could use a set of adapter sockets for prototyping if someone sells such a thing.

Thanks and Happy New Years

Can't you just use it the way it was intended and solder it on as a QFN?
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 08:25:54 pm »
Can't you just use it the way it was intended and solder it on as a QFN?

I think he wants to reuse existing PCB layout?

Exactly,it's a low production item and the cost to re engineer it just doesn't make economic sense for the 25 units we'll sell over the next year or 2.We are going to redesign it in the future (1-2 years)but I figured I could also use the adapter sockets for prototyping work too because I want to take a crack at it myself first to learn as much as I can.I'm sure that I'll end up leaning on the engineering co I've used in the past before bringing a new product to market but that's later on down the road.Right now time and money dictates that we use the existing design and boards we have.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 08:42:52 pm »
Use the adaptors and make up around 500 units, because for sure with 25 a year they will only redo it in 10 years when something else is becoming obsolete on the design. Plus the spare boards will help your prototyping for the redesign, as you will be able to use an existing board for development and upgrade.

Probably would be best to make it a double sided board and place decoupling capacitors under the chip, along with putting in pads for a crystal and associated resistors and capacitors so your dev boards are self running. An ISCP set of pads or holes would not go amiss, though then you probably will be looking at a 4 layer board.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:46:23 pm by SeanB »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 09:05:06 pm »
If it's for an existing DIP design, take care that any QFN pinout and off the shelf adapter will map pins appropriately: if you are pretty lucky, the stars will align, but be prepared for disappointment.

For the volume you're doing, is it feasible to fab your own board, guaranteeing pin compatibility and compatible form factors? I can't imagine it costing much to do fifty boards like that.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 02:47:59 pm »
SeanB, 
Thanks,just when I think I can finally put the books down for a minute and move on to the next problem you have to give me more things to look into  :-/O

Howardlong,
It was a DIP design but we haven't ordered it for a couple of years now.I had hoped to have enough stock to get us through but it didnt work out.I've just started to look into adapters but I assumed that a off the shelf unit wouldn't work but if it does I'll be pleasantly surprised.Chances are I'll be going with these guys http://www.accutekmicro.com/index.cfm .While I thought about doing a small run of boards to make it work,it just isn't something I feel capable of doing in house.I'd really hate to have QC issues from such a small part.Ideally I'd like to find a US made source but that isnt looking too promising at this point in time.

Thanks again

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf