Author Topic: Rant: D Connectors  (Read 3305 times)

Offline German_EETopic starter

• Super Contributor
Rant: D Connectors
« on: June 18, 2017, 03:25:01 pm »
The situation with D connectors really bugs me. Most of the world (including the IC manufacturers) live in a 0.1 inch x 0.1 inch world and everything fits in here from displays and chips to a large number of connectors. Not the D type though, that second row of pins offset from the first means that you have to either make your own PCB or use an adapter. When making a PCB mounted socket or plug it would have been just as easy to make the pins on a 0.1 x 0.1 grid, just bend the wires a bit, but they just couldn't do it.

OK, rant over, I have 12 holes to drill between the existing holes on a piece of perfboard.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Re: Rant: D Connectors
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 03:26:44 pm »
That's why you use an IDC connector that uses ribbon cable to go to the board, perfectly fine grid there.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 03:33:08 pm »
If you can put up with mounting the D-sub connector at the edge of the board, then you can solder one row and hand wire the other one. I've done it for small RS-232 adaptors in the past. Just a thought.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 06:53:53 pm »
The D-subminiature connector line dates back to 1952, well before the DIP package that ushered in the 0.1" grid standard.

Not sure why you would expect it to conform to a standard that didn't yet exist...
"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

The following users thanked this post: fourtytwo42

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 07:32:16 pm »
So you prefer micro-USB? SNAP BREAK BUST FAIL

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 07:56:50 pm »
Centronics style connectors have arbitrary dimensions.  GPIB for instance isn't apparently metric or imperial, it's just odd.

Doesn't matter when you've got PCBs.  Doing perf board?  Put it on pigtails... :-//

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 01:58:40 am »
Most of the world (including the IC manufacturers) live in a 0.1 inch x 0.1 inch world and everything fits in here from displays and chips to a large number of connectors.
No, the world has moved on from those days. Metric is now driving pin pitches 0.7, 0.5, 0.4mm so on and through hole is disappearing rapidly.

Offline DBecker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 04:58:09 am »
I think that the original poster's point was that the PCB footprint doesn't necessarily need to match the connection pin pitch.  It would be useful to have a D-shell connector that has a 0.1" footprint.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 08:49:45 pm »
Long live D-sub.  :)

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 09:10:15 pm »
OK, rant over, I have 12 holes to drill between the existing holes on a piece of perfboard.
Hello,

I cannot complain: My D-Subs fit. Always.

with best regards

Andreas

The following users thanked this post: Someone, Smokey, Electro Detective

Offline viperidae

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 06:47:54 am »
RJ11/12/45 sockets are the same, two rows of offset pins that won't fit a perf board.

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 08:28:39 am »
I think the flawed assumption here is that the potential advantage of having a connector (or anything really) fit a .1" perfboard outweight all the other advantages of not having it fit - like how easy it is to route on an actual pcb, strength, density, etc.

Also, most manufacturers no longer live in a imperial-driven world. The only things really still imperial (but actually it's not) is SMD footprints like the typical "1206, 0805, 0603, 0402" (even though I believe they are actually defined in metric and then translated to imperial to match, with a 0402 actually being 1.000mm long and 0.500mm wide). In fact, I usually get annoyed by the old DIP footprints and headers not fitting nicely on my metric grid PCBs, making nice allignment a PITA.
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf