Author Topic: PS3 Slim PSU hack  (Read 2250 times)

Offline drummerdimitriTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
PS3 Slim PSU hack
« on: July 31, 2017, 03:58:07 pm »
I managed to salvage the PSU from a friend's dead PS3 Slim and I want to use it as a desk power supply.

Does anyone know how to wire this one up? I haven't been able to find the pinout for this board.

Offline Kateh28

• padded envelopes
Re: PS3 Slim PSU hack
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 10:46:07 am »
Is it safe to do? I heard that the PS3 had some major issues with overheating which often lead to the so called "Yellow Light of Death".

Offline junits15

• Contributor
Re: PS3 Slim PSU hack
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 12:21:05 pm »
Is it safe to do? I heard that the PS3 had some major issues with overheating which often lead to the so called "Yellow Light of Death".

It should be safe, that was related to improper cooling of the main processors, not the power supply.

OP if your ps3 still turns on I would snoop around while its running to try and figure out what the PSU module is looking for in terms of a turn on signal.  Its really likely that there is a standby rail that runs all the time, and a main rail that comes on when the PSU is activated.  If I had to guess you can probably get it to turn on by connecting two wires together.  Optionally you can get an xbox 360 power brick for very cheap and those have a known pinout.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:22:51 pm by junits15 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf