Author Topic: Reading EBGA64 flash memory  (Read 382 times)

Offline nexusTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Reading EBGA64 flash memory
« on: August 16, 2022, 03:05:49 am »
Hi all,

I am working on a little project where I would like to duplicate some embedded memory if possible. This is for the now obsolete Anritsu MS2721B handheld spectrum analyzer, which is a popular unit now with hobbyists.

Mine was bricked after a bad firmware update attempt via thumb drive. Since the instrument is stuck in a very early bootloop and does not even reach the bootloader, I believe the two onboard flash IC's which contain the bootloader program were corrupted by this bad update.

I am planning to get a parts unit which hopefully does not have corrupted flash, desolder the memory modules, and use them to replace the one on the broken unit. It would be very nice, however, if I could read the contents in between and possibly save that image so that copies can be made in the future if necessary (i.e. another bricked instrument). I would be more than happy to share that image with the community here if I can indeed read the flash successfully.

The memory part # is RC28F256P30B85A, which is an EBGA64 package that is rectangular with 1mm pitch. Digikey: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/micron-technology-inc/RC28F256P30B85A/1869930

Does anybody have experience with different universal flash programmers and reading/writing similar devices? I have never removed embedded memory and tried to read/duplicate its contents before. Hopefully there are industry standards at to the pinout for flash in different packages, as well as logic levels so that the RC28F256P30B85A can be read/written using a generic adapter socket, such as this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/193410168668

I see that the T56 programmer is pretty popular. Would this be a good starting point?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf