Author Topic: Reinserting Batteries Brings Life to Remote - Why?  (Read 5713 times)

Online bostonmanTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Reinserting Batteries Brings Life to Remote - Why?
« on: May 26, 2022, 02:31:57 am »
Has anyone experienced a phenomena where your TV remote doesn't work, you remove the batteries (or maybe spin them), reinsert them, and the remote works fine?

I've seen this with other remotes, but I have a fairly new TV (about six-months old) and I'm having a similar issue. The set of batteries that came with the remote seemed to die quickly which I thought was odd. I had old batteries from another remote and those died within a few weeks.

Now I've installed new batteries and the remote wasn't working. I removed them, measured about 1.4V, reinserted them, and the remote worked fine. Now it periodically requires me to perform the same steps of reinserting them.

I'm curious if anyone knows why this happens (it also happens with my car remote - I need to just spin the CR battery without removing it).

Although I never owned a Nintendo, my understanding is people would remove the game cartridge, blow on the gold fingers, reinsert it, and it would work. Maybe it's the same magic as the batteries.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Reinserting Batteries Brings Life to Remote - Why?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 02:45:32 am »
Yep I have - it's just a bad battery connection. I have the same issue with a beard trimmer too. The battery contacts they use are El Cheepo and don't make good electrical contact.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 02:46:24 am »
I've had similar resuscitations when merely rotating cylindrical batteries in their holders to improve the contact.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 02:49:30 am »
modern remotes don't use hardware IR transmitters anymore. They are all micro's running firmware. firmware with bugs.
i have a Fire TV. it uses a bluetooth remote. that thing eats batteries ! .they barely last one month. my vizio tv is 7 years old and still using its original batteries from some weird brand. (maxwon or something).
but this new remote has a microphone for alexa and other crap i never use.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 03:07:00 am »
modern remotes don't use hardware IR transmitters anymore. They are all micro's running firmware. firmware with bugs.
i have a Fire TV. it uses a bluetooth remote. that thing eats batteries ! .they barely last one month

This explains a great deal.

The ones that came with the remote (as usual) are some no name. When they died, I thought it was odd because usually batteries last years, but thought they were just really cheap. The second set I used were old ones that died quickly and attributed them to being low and sitting around.

The recent ones were brand new and were measuring 1.4V after less than a month. I didn't measure the current draw, but measured the resistance in case something was low resistance to ground. So far the remote has been working, but, as mentioned, need to move or reinsert the batteries.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 05:44:41 pm »
i have a Fire TV. it uses a bluetooth remote. that thing eats batteries ! .they barely last one month

This explains a great deal.

The ones that came with the remote (as usual) are some no name. When they died, I thought it was odd because usually batteries last years, but thought they were just really cheap. The second set I used were old ones that died quickly and attributed them to being low and sitting around.

The recent ones were brand new and were measuring 1.4V after less than a month. I didn't measure the current draw, but measured the resistance in case something was low resistance to ground. So far the remote has been working, but, as mentioned, need to move or reinsert the batteries.
the old ITT SAA1250 remote transmitter consumed 10microamps. That means that, running from 4 AA batteries it had 150.000 hours of runtime ( assuming 1500mAh batteries). that's 17 years ! on a set of batteries. the IR bursts are very short. so with average use you;d still get 10 years out of a set of batteries. Most good alkaline AA are 2500maH or more.. you do the math.

The same goes for phones. My old Nokia 3310 could be in standby for over two weeks. My latest greatest fruitphone barely goes a day. What they hell are they doing ? The screen is off, only the GSM radio needs to run ( just like the nokia. The radio runs in receive, listening for incoming call or SMS.). if my phone is idle. and it can be done on moderns smartphones. the Nokia 2 (HMD design) has 56 day standby time !
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 07:20:28 pm »
Wiping the contacts with some Deoxit can work wonders.

Offline Northy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 09:14:04 pm »
Could it be fretting corrosion?  :-//

I know a product that would give false low battery alarms and it was traced to this.

G

Offline mclute0

• Regular Contributor
  • Somnium aut moriar!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 09:22:14 pm »
no need to remove batteries, just wack the remote on the couch arm a few times since some type of spring device is always at one end.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 01:10:15 am »
Wiping the contacts with some Deoxit can work wonders.

What's the difference between this and electronic cleaner?

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 01:24:59 am »
About £10 a tin

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 01:36:48 am »
At such low voltage any reduction in contact resistance helps. Touching the batteries will also warm them to some extent.

Many TVs still ship with IR remotes, I think the RF remotes are mostly for the streaming sticks and higher end TVs. At least a couple years back even the lower end Roku was IR

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2022, 07:23:07 am »
the old ITT SAA1250 remote transmitter consumed 10microamps. That means that, running from 4 AA batteries it had 150.000 hours of runtime ( assuming 1500mAh batteries). that's 17 years ! on a set of batteries. the IR bursts are very short. so with average use you;d still get 10 years out of a set of batteries. Most good alkaline AA are 2500maH or more.. you do the math.
+ self discharge

fingery acids/fats and sweat come handy when they come in contact with metals

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2022, 12:17:22 pm »
About £10 a tin

I find that a thin smear of Vaselline on the contacts works very well, and is typically free. It also provides a small amount of contact plating protection for when the batteries inevitably start to leak.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2022, 12:26:03 pm »
i have a Fire TV. it uses a bluetooth remote. that thing eats batteries ! .they barely last one month. my vizio tv is 7 years old and still using its original batteries from some weird brand. (maxwon or something).
but this new remote has a microphone for alexa and other crap i never use.
The batteries on our Amazon Fire TV stick lasts for about a year - still a far cry from the remote control consumption, but not a taxing issue. I wonder if the Alexa is not fully disabled and is listening 24/7 for all sounds in the room - my wife disabled ours so I don't have the details (she is the TV person in our house).

Regardless, the Bluetooth is so bad on this thing that it takes quite a while for the Fire stick to react to the remote commands. I much prefer the Roku on the other room that is full IR.

To the OP: Indeed the battery contacts are usually crap. Some steel wool usually helps for me.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2022, 12:40:17 pm »
If you have a classic IR remote control you can add a cap (10 µF or so) in parallel with the battery to get a little bit more juice out of the batteries.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2022, 01:02:22 pm »
the Bluetooth is so bad on this thing that it takes quite a while for the Fire stick to react to the remote commands.

Which version?

I have one of the original Fire TV sticks, and it's painfully slow to do just about everything. Takes ages to boot too.

The later 4K and 4K MAX versions are incomparably better. No issues with those at all.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2022, 01:36:38 pm »
Not to deviate or complain, but what is wrong with remote controls lately?

For years all the Comcast remote/cable box in the house have quirks. They randomly run slow, don't change channels, the remotes stop working, etc... I go to Comcast to complain, they take the box and/or remote, toss it in a bin, and hand me another piece of junk. They don't do any investigating, note the failure, etc...

Years ago I had an issue where if I programmed the Comcast remote to control the volume on the TV, it would stop controlling the cable box. I brought the remote back and asked for help. The guy tossed the remote in the bin without delaying and handed me a new remote. This series of events continued about five times with the same guy. I kept demanding they do something and they kept telling me each new remote they handed me was bad when I complained.

A brand new Vizio TV and I've gone through two sets of batteries in six-months. Every so often the remote stops working forcing me to reinsert the batteries (hence the topic of this thread). Plus, I have a thumbdrive in the back and every few days it locks where it won't play anything forcing me to reset power to the TV.

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2022, 05:14:31 am »
the Bluetooth is so bad on this thing that it takes quite a while for the Fire stick to react to the remote commands.

Which version?

I have one of the original Fire TV sticks, and it's painfully slow to do just about everything. Takes ages to boot too.

The later 4K and 4K MAX versions are incomparably better. No issues with those at all.
Yeah I just recently had to ditch my original Fire Stick for much the same reason. It had become unbearably slow. Streaming video was fine once it got going, but getting it going was such a chore. The 4K I replaced it with is zippy and smooth as butter.

Same thing happened with my original Chromecast. I don't know what they do to make these things turn into such piles of crap, but there should be laws against it.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2022, 11:58:55 am »

Which version?

The one we have is, according to Wikipedia, the second generation (2016). Despite it is a bit long in the typical lifetime of internet gadgets, only recently it started to show some overall slowdown (the remote issues were always a problem, though).

I attribute the overall slowdown to system updates that eat more RAM at every instance and (maybe) more internal Flash storage - after all, the quad core 1.3GHz should be enough to handle quite the workload. For the pace of our current world of disposable gadgets, though, the fact it still works at all is quite impressive.

Same thing happened with my original Chromecast. I don't know what they do to make these things turn into such piles of crap, but there should be laws against it.
Our original Chromecast (gift of a friend) never saw much action - it was terrible from the start. A friend of mine tried to make it work on his HDTV at the time (720p) and, after spending about a day of fruitless efforts, broke it in anger and threw it away.  :o
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2022, 04:16:59 pm »
Amazing, the two batteries (AAA) are down to 0.8V and the remote isn’t working. The batteries are about a month old and brand new out of the package.

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2022, 04:28:27 pm »
I saw something like this a while back, an IR remote that worked but killed batteries in like a week. I didn't diagnose it past washing the board and finding no improvement. I'd guess ESD damage to the chip or maybe the decoupling cap went leaky.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2022, 05:08:12 pm »
It's contact resistance caused by oxidation and/or contamination. The same reason some relays and switches have a minimum load, if you try to use a power relay to switch a low current signal the contacts will eventually develop high resistance. If you clean the battery terminals with some Deoxit that will usually do a good job preventing it. If you live in a high humidity region you could add a smear of dielectric grease to prevent oxidation.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2022, 05:28:57 pm »
This is interesting, I actually didn’t know about the reason behind minimum loads.

This is the only remote doing it and I’m quite sure the original batteries died within a month or two because maybe four-months into owning the TV, I used the remote and  discovered they were the most dead I’ve ever measured a battery to be. I don’t remember, but maybe down to 0.3V.

If it matters, it’s a Toshiba model: 43LF621U21

I may have accidentally thought it was a Vizio. It’s a TV I don’t use often, but thanks to quick draining batteries, it’s more of a hassle to try navigating TV menus when I need to because the batteries always need to be replaced first.

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2022, 05:46:18 pm »
It's a 'life hack' as old as remote controllers. Rubbing the contacts on your denim jeans is another technique. You can use someone elses jeans, but ask them first ;)

On a cold day, warm the remote on a central heating radiator to 'recharge' the alkalines.

On the subject of remotes, our ROKU controller is a complete prima donna with battery brands. Some work fine, others just parfffff. The battery orientation is 'unique'.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf