Author Topic: Replacement connector options?  (Read 1041 times)

Offline UpLateGeekTopic starter

• Contributor
Replacement connector options?
« on: August 10, 2022, 02:08:33 pm »
So I bought this [vintage computer] clone off the electronic bay, and it didn't come with a power supply. Unfortunately they decided not to use the same power connector as the original, so I'm having difficulty figuring out what to use as a replacement.

To top things off, it looks like the pin spacing is totally weird. Measuring with my digital calipers it's closer to 4.8mm for the first 5 pins, then the last is 7.2mm. Which makes sense if it's a 1.5x gap, but I have no idea why they wouldn't use something more "standard" like 0.2". The pins themselves are 1.5mm diameter.

Because connectors these days are all like "Easy-Trademark Series®" or "miniPatented 3.0+™", and only specify the pin spacing and not the diameter, it's not easy to find something using the parametric search. I did find a female connector contact from Molex called "Standard .062" 1561", but that's closer to 1.6mm, so it might not fit. And crimping a bunch of contacts onto the end of the wires and shoving them onto the pins isn't exactly the nicest solution, so if anyone has any ideas what I could use, feel free to make a suggestion.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
Re: Replacement connector options?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 09:01:19 pm »
How about just using your own connector?

Use a wire header like you see in an ATX power supply: wires soldered to the pcb terminating in a header that you can then connect to mating header to your power supply.

Desolder the current header if you can or solder wires to the bottom of the pcb or to the header pins.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 06:04:42 am »
Because connectors these days are all like "Easy-Trademark Series®" or "miniPatented 3.0+™", and only specify the pin spacing and not the diameter, it's not easy to find something using the parametric search.
”These days”?? It’s always been this way. When you start seeing generic descriptions (like “0.1” header”) it’s because it’s been around long enough for clone products to take over, and people forget the original name (like Bergstik in this example).

Anyhow, that looks for all the world like a JST V connector: 1.55mm pin diameter, 5.0mm pitch with 7.5mm pitch on the first pin for keying.

https://www.jst-mfg.com/product/index.php?series=258

The following users thanked this post: UpLateGeek

Offline UpLateGeekTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 01:05:05 pm »
Anyhow, that looks for all the world like a JST V connector: 1.55mm pin diameter, 5.0mm pitch with 7.5mm pitch on the first pin for keying.

https://www.jst-mfg.com/product/index.php?series=258

Boom. Ordered.

I knew I came to the right place! So thanks for your help, and hopefully the plug fits!

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 03:46:28 pm »
You’re welcome! Let us know how it works out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf