Author Topic: Reverse engineering FNIRSI-5012H  (Read 54294 times)

Online thinkfat

• Supporter
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
Re: Reverse engineering FNIRSI-5012H
« Reply #350 on: October 22, 2020, 07:28:51 am »
I've got openOCD installed and I'm trying to use it, not having a lot of luck because I have no idea what I'm doing. I need to compile the code to some format and run a flash utility on it, right? GCC I guess? I'll figure it out eventually I guess!

IRC still exists, if you go over to the #openocd channel on the freenode network, you'll surely find someone to help you. Or, write to the openocd-users mailing list which is hosted on sourceforge (yes, that also still exists).
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline neuralsim

• Contributor
« Reply #351 on: October 22, 2020, 05:41:44 pm »
I've got openOCD installed and I'm trying to use it, not having a lot of luck because I have no idea what I'm doing. I need to compile the code to some format and run a flash utility on it, right? GCC I guess? I'll figure it out eventually I guess!

IRC still exists, if you go over to the #openocd channel on the freenode network, you'll surely find someone to help you. Or, write to the openocd-users mailing list which is hosted on sourceforge (yes, that also still exists).

Thanks I'll check it out if I get stuck. I just ran out of time last night, doing lots of stuff, I figure I can probably get it working on my own, forgot that there are binaries already made, that helps. I'll want to change them eventually but if I can get the device flashed in the meantime that would be good.

Offline Martinn

• Contributor
« Reply #352 on: October 22, 2020, 05:50:53 pm »
Not sure what you are using... but if you have an ST-Link clone, why not use the ST-Link utility?
https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link004.html
Worked for me without problems IIRC.

Offline neuralsim

• Contributor
« Reply #353 on: October 22, 2020, 10:21:47 pm »
Not sure what you are using... but if you have an ST-Link clone, why not use the ST-Link utility?

Thanks for the tip! Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I did load it up last night, but didn't get anywhere with it, but good to know that my intuition was correct. So is that all you needed, software-wise?

Offline neuralsim

• Contributor
« Reply #354 on: October 23, 2020, 02:01:56 am »

I'm connected to it and able to flash it and it passes the checksum but I just get a blank screen with the backlight on.

I'm not sure how to flash it, there are two files, I've tried both the bin and hex files. Am I supposed to put them in different memory locations?

Edit: I figured out the bin and hex files hold the same data, and ST-LINK just recognizes both of them, so they both show up in the choose file dlg.

So I'm getting a blank screen, but it seems I can erase it and flash it just fine, and also the backlight is working.

Maybe I damaged the screen during the operation, I tried to be careful but it kinda flopped around some when I had the board off the unit. My electronic debugging skills aren't really great yet, so maybe I can figure it out eventually but it won't be trivial for me to debug the circuitry. I knew I was risking a brick by doing it so I'm not too upset, plus I have a good scope that's pretty portable anyway.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 03:01:12 am by neuralsim »

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #355 on: October 23, 2020, 03:19:46 am »
Display damage is not likely if there are no signs of visible damage.

It is much more likely that there is an issue with soldering. You have checked that there are no shorts between the pins, but you have not really verified that there are no opens/disconnects.

And since you have a working scope, put it to works. The things to check are:
1. Try to hold F2 while power cycling. Does the backlight go away?
2. Check the crystal oscillator pins (Xin/Xout have the clock).
3. Check if ADC lines have activity on them.
4. Check if display lines have activity on them.

Alex

Offline neuralsim

• Contributor
« Reply #356 on: October 23, 2020, 06:10:22 am »
Display damage is not likely if there are no signs of visible damage.

It is much more likely that there is an issue with soldering. You have checked that there are no shorts between the pins, but you have not really verified that there are no opens/disconnects.

And since you have a working scope, put it to works. The things to check are:
1. Try to hold F2 while power cycling. Does the backlight go away?

Yes and also ST-LINK recognizes it's in low-power debug mode, and recognizes the chip. I'll check the other items tomorrow, thanks again for this and all your help so far! I figure recognizing debug mode and turning off the display is a pretty good sign the flash is at least partly working?

I did make an attempt to test conductivity by using my multimeter and touching each pin with one lead and the corresponding track with the other lead, but as you said that's not perfect by any means.

Offline spadger

• Contributor
« Reply #357 on: November 12, 2020, 08:43:19 am »
Now, there is a new 70$ model from China: ZDYZ DS100.
250MSa/s, 50M analog bandwith.
3.5“IPS 400x320 resolution.
Dual channel analog input and simple signal generator.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf