Author Topic: RGMII voltage levels  (Read 754 times)

Offline abqukeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
RGMII voltage levels
« on: June 28, 2022, 07:26:25 pm »
Are the voltage levels of a RGMII device the same as its DVdd supply? That's the guess I have that makes the most sense...

A more sticky question might be regarding mixed voltages between two devices. Can they be mixed (1.8 and 2.5 say) as long as the lower voltage device's Vhigh > V_high-min of the higher voltage device?

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: RGMII voltage levels
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 10:17:12 pm »
A more sticky question might be regarding mixed voltages between two devices. Can they be mixed (1.8 and 2.5 say) as long as the lower voltage device's Vhigh > V_high-min of the higher voltage device?
If the lower voltage device outputs a high that's a comfortable margin above the threshold at which the higher voltage device calls high, yes. The other way around will need measures to attenuate the voltage if it's not tolerant of the higher voltage. The trickiest to deal with are bidirectional lines.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 10:53:02 pm »
Generally the IO voltage will be the same as Vdd unless otherwise specified.  Some devices (among PHYs and switch ASICS anyway) will have separate VddIO pins to power the IO buffers so that the IO voltage can be selected separately from the operating voltage(s).  You could think of these parts as having level-shifters built in, conveniently preconfigured with the correct IO directions. 

Offline abqukeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 11:42:45 pm »
I'd read a TI App Note on voltage translation (SCEA065B) where they showed off a SN74AXC8T245 translating a RGMII bus. I got all excited only to find that the SN74AXC8T245 didn't seem to be available. I asked about a near-replacement on the TI E2E forums on the important parameters and the response was more or less "Yeah, we don't guarantee anything for that application".

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf