Author Topic: SEPIC Gone Wrong — Destructive Overshoot  (Read 1579 times)

Offline RandornTopic starter

SEPIC Gone Wrong — Destructive Overshoot
« on: January 19, 2022, 05:30:55 am »
Require 3.3V from a single Li-ion cell. Chose the LM2621 for my SEPIC. Followed design guidelines, nearly copied their SEPIC application example, but the final product sees a massive over-voltage in step-up operation. Over 6V at VOUT!

What the heck did I do wrong?

Step-down operates as intended. Only when VIN falls below 3.3V does VOUT snap to nearly double intended.

Checked the FB pin. The converter is definitely seeing the over-voltage, and step-down operates correctly. Checked VDD to be in operational range. I just can't figure out why this converter decided to nuke everything.

I've also tried with tantalum capacitors at VIN and VOUT to rule out any issues with low ESR.

I've attached the output at power up as VIN rises to 3.7V, but VOUT does remain over 6V while VIN is less than 3.3V.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
Re: SEPIC Gone Wrong — Destructive Overshoot
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 07:11:16 am »
The application examples on the datasheet show a much smaller series feedback resistor (500ohm) than what you're using (150Kohm), could it be affecting the feedback loop?   Perhaps the loop has different properties in buck vs boost modes.

The following users thanked this post: TimNJ, Wolfram

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 07:52:14 am »
timsummon.jpeg
:-DD
Is it my paranoia or are those transistors blacktopped?
(The skewed markings betray their origin anyway.)

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 09:23:56 am »
The application examples on the datasheet show a much smaller series feedback resistor (500ohm) than what you're using (150Kohm)…

The 500R in application example is VDD protection, I believe. They recommend 150k throughout writing.

Your RFREQ is 160k, which is off the charts for the LM2621…

Am I reading the specifications incorrectly? LM2621, revised November 2015, Figure 9 suggests 160k RFQ at 3.7V VDD yields a 900kHz switching frequency. I'd actually given myself room to accommodate VDD dropping below 3V, assuming I'm not going crazy.

The resemblance, I assure you, is largely coincidental. I calculated the minimum uncoupled inductor value under worst case VDD and switching frequency to 6.47uH. The 6.8uH in application example is just luck, and 6.8uH appears elsewhere in my circuit. Also calculated a minimum VOUT bulk capacitance of 5.6uF, but that's silly.

Evidently, however, I glanced at the application example at the wrong moment. Appears I configured the converter VDD to run directly from supply. I did intend for bootstrapped operation.

Here's my theory this moment. Non-bootstrapped operation takes minimum operating voltage from 1.1V to 2.5V. Moving into step-up mode drops VDD below this threshold, and puts the converter into low voltage start-up.

I've attempted to bodge VDD from VOUT as intended, but the IC is no longer speaking to me, so new questions! Do I rework my PCB with what appears to be an adequate converter, or is there a superior converter?

Also exceedingly aware of my wonk-tastic schematic. Too lazy to resize the worksheet, and there was zero intent to ever revisit this.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 01:47:45 pm »
You dare summon me?!

Well, at a glance, I don't know exactly why it's doing that, could very well be the "startup" mode, yeah.  They don't document it at all...

So -- I don't know if, or that, your particular issue can be solved; instead I think I would rather make a case against this chip entirely.  So I'll explain that decision process.

So, just reading the datasheet:
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2621.pdf

1. Introductions.

Headline boasts "high efficiency" and "low input voltage".  Fair enough, it can be a challenging application and I don't know many regulators/converters offhand for this voltage range.  (I don't shop for this spec range very often.  I do recall seeing some LT parts, but c'mon, who's got money fo' dat?..)

First warning sign: "unique constant-duty-cycle gated oscillator".  "Unique" isn't always a good thing.  Probably nobody uses it, for a reason? ;)  And if it's the good kind of "unique", why aren't they bragging about it as some silly patented/trademarked thing instead?

Assuming it's true that it works this way, then we can already guess some basic operation -- it must be hysteretic control, so it will have terrible output ripple (probably including weird subharmonic modes, depending on how it handles that hysteresis), and may have poor current control/protection.

Not really anything we can read into about the applications.  None of these should be particularly tolerant of a voltage excursion like you're seeing.  Maybe they intend it to be used with an LDO afterwards?  That would be pretty rude...

2. Ratings and Characteristics.

Voltage limits are fine.  Often enough you don't get current ratings with them anyway, so, whatever.  Noteworthy they don't even specify ESD.  I don't know that it's safe to assume a minimum 1kV HBM rating then.

But that FREQ pin rating.  No voltage specified, and max 100uA into the pin (positive current is always into the pin) is awfully minuscule.  Can it actually be damaged by 101uA?  How does such an arbitrary limit arise?  Surely that would be a functional not destructive limit?  But they don't say anything about it in Recommended Operating Conditions.

VIN_ST: is this just a behavioral characteristic, or does it relate to the startup functionality mentioned later?  There's no startup end voltage (or current or time) listed anywhere.

Nothing else really looks suspicious.  The fixed duty cycle seems to support the "gated oscillator" claim, and yup, we see hysteresis.  (Note that they don't say whether VFB is rising or falling.)

There's also Fig. 8.  How the load current is applied, isn't clear: is it an ideal sink, or a load resistor of equivalent value?  It matters which kind!
At least, the fact that it's simply having a harder time starting up at high current, does seem to suggest there's nothing special: it simply has to work hard enough to get there, and if it can't (at low input), it doesn't.

Regarding Fig. 9, if we assume FREQ is a fixed voltage (relative to SGND), the fact that the 3.3 and 5V curves are offset this way, seems to support this assumption; and if frequency is proportional to FREQ current, then evidently V(FREQ) ~ 1.03V.  Likely not a bipolar current mirror, but an NMOS current mirror could do.  (That is, the pin is an NMOS, S = SS = GND, G = D = FREQ pin, i.e. "diode strapped".  This voltage then goes to another NMOS G, with S+SS = GND, and its D will be a current proportional to I(FREQ), which in turn feeds an internal capacitor and oscillator in the usual way (multivibrator).)  They do say BiCMOS, so it could be either kind after all.

It's still not obvious if this should make FREQ particularly sensitive or anything -- likely such a transistor doesn't need to be very big, but it could well have a zener or clamp diode across it which would provide adequate protection (particularly for ESD).

3. Description.

So here we come to the block diagram.  It's a bit lacking, though also surprisingly detailed in certain respects, which is weird.

- FB into hysteresis comparator: supports the hysteresis characteristic from earlier.

- REF: sure, it'll have some kind of bandgap reference thingy inside.  Hence the 1.24V VREF, and clearly that gives the V(FB) thresholds (again, give or take hysteresis, direction isn't given).  But why bother showing IREF?  It goes into an internal resistor, which is in ratio with another internal resistor; what the heck is the point?  How can I know what these resistors are, or are doing?  Why do I care that it's an IREF, and not just a divider off VREF or something?  (Well, maybe it is...)  And, if it is a current, then is that consequential to overall current consumption or anything?  (Possible; likely something like this uses a handful of ~uA range current sources/sinks, and that could just be one of many.  They'd all be driven by the bandgap, most likely.)

- SLEEP: why floating arrows to the other comparators?  Why not draw it in directly?  It's right there?..  And, what is this communicating, is this saying the comparators are gated by SLEEP?  Is that an AND or OR logic?  (My guess: they mean to disable power (bias currents, actually) to the relevant circuitry, hence, SLEEPing them.  As long as the FB comparator is off, nothing else needs to run, anyway.  But this notation is used to represent several functions so it would be nice to clarify, y'know?)

- OSC: well, your standard "I'm a logic block!" block.  Go figure.  Presumably it's something like, a constant current (mirrored from I(FREQ)) into a capacitor, into a comparator, so, making your basic multivibrator.

Interesting question: is the FREQ pin disabled when SLEEPing?  Or its mirrors?  It could well be that the answer is no, and SLEEP mode current has a component proportional to I(FREQ), in addition to the pin current itself I mean.

- Thermal shutdown: I don't think I've ever actually seen this detailed out like this before, actually.  It's always just "temperature protection".  As it happens, measuring a Vbe is a common and very reasonable way to measure temperature on-chip, and PTAT (proportional to absolute temperature) is available as part of the bandgap circuit.  So, strange that they went to this detail at all.

- DRIVE: logic block #2.  I guess BOOT is its power, so we get level shifting (presumably everything else is running at a possibly-lower VDD) and one or two stages of beefier transistors to drive the power NMOS.

The two parallel output transistors, by the way, are a pretty good way of sensing current.  As long as the source voltages are close together (much less than Vds(on)), the sensed current will be a reasonably constant ratio of total current.  And that ratio can be quite small because they can reserve like, a 1/100th of the transistor's area off to the corner to split off in this way.  The resistor is free on a chip as well, of course; it's just going to be a bit of silicon or metal with Kelvin contacts going back to the sense amp / comparator.

How they sense current, isn't really very important (and, it's not like you can do much of anything about it in practice..).  Generally, these sorts of things will have a fairly wide spread on Rds(on) anyway (see also: logic gate output current / resistance ratings, LDO current limit ratings, etc.), and basically it comes down to sensing Rds(on) or something related to it.  Sometimes they'll draw it as a current sensor, or shunt resistor on the drain side; I suppose it's possible they could integrate a whole-ass like Hall effect sensor there, but most likely -- given the much higher common mode voltage at the drain side -- they're just lying, and really just doing it the easier way, and just showing it that way for clarity (so as to better say: here's output current, I guess?).  Except when they really do have to do it the hard way, like, some controllers sense the V(SW) voltage of your external MOSFETs, to "measure" load current with Rds(on).  Or DCR of the inductor (via an RC filter network, to attenuate most of the switching voltage across the inductor, leaving the resistance component, mostly).

Anyway, how they gate the oscillator is an interesting question.  It's probably not simply ANDed with the comparator(s)?  It could be latched, so the oscillator is always running, and it catches the next full pulse (you could tell by the pulses being timed consistently, while the bursts of output vary in pulses on/skipped).  Or it might be held in a "primed" state, ready to fire (in which case, the time between bursts might vary continuously -- triggered by the hysteresis comparator falling below threshold).  There might also be a holdoff time, which doesn't seem to be documented, and may or may not be helpful (that is, if V(FB) drops suddenly during an off slope, how soon after a burst can it turn back on? and if the answer is "instantaneous", then does that include during a normal low-pulse phase, so it can interrupt itself?).

- And, EN pin: literally nothing connected to it.  S-M-R-T...  (Given the wide VDD-referenced thresholds, it's probably safe to assume this is just any old CMOS input structure.  Probably with ESD clamp diodes?)

(Oh, and I'm just now noticing, no leakage spec on FB or EN -- so who knows what value resistors are acceptable for setting these.  This comes up here, as a leakage spec might be suggestive of input diodes.  Reading datasheets is hard -- I forgot to think about these pin currents before, even while contemplating the nature of the FREQ current rating!)

Onward...

Second warning sign: 7.3.2.  It seems to say it runs continuously in startup (so, regardless of V(FB)? even I(SW), Tj?) until 2.5V, but how does it know "output voltage", it doesn't even specify what pin is sensing this?  (BOOT perhaps?)  No logic is shown to implement this; plausibly OSC or DRIVE could do it.  Again, anonymous logic blocks, who knows!

(And 7.3.4 seems to suggest current limit at least is latched.  So, quite possible the other OSC inputs are latched too.)

And finally, Application.  They give startup waveforms for the 5V boost, which doesn't show overshoot.  Later they show a very similar SEPIC model, but no waveforms.

So, as the memes go -- by the way, it's a meme here that some here (cough :-DD ) despise the MC34063 -- hysteretic controls like this aren't great, and, at least this one doesn't suffer the worst problems of that particular chip, but it may well be crusty in ways that just can't be controlled from the outside; the documentation is just too poor to tell.  And what it does tell, just isn't very impressive.  (For reference, what I want to see in a low power controller/regulator is some manner of current-mode control.  It can have slope compensation, it can have fixed internal (error amp) compensation, it can have pulse skipping, etc.  Those are neither here nor there; current mode operation is several very good things at once however, which avoids many of the problems seen here.)

Also, it seems there's a LM2623A version; skimming the datasheet, it looks like they haven't cured almost any of the above oddities/bugs/problems, though.

So, all in all, I would decline to design in this particular chip, and recommend continuing shopping for something nicer.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: Whales, barycentric

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 06:23:35 pm »
Quick question - why would you need a converter that can work with such low input voltage if you're using a Li-ion cell as a source? It shouldn't go below about 3.0 V. Below that, it would damage the battery anyway. (But there's probably already an integrated protection for that in it, unless you use bare cells.)

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 08:24:54 pm »
And finally, Application.  They give startup waveforms for the 5V boost, which doesn't show overshoot.  Later they show a very similar SEPIC model, but no waveforms.

Exactly. And they do not guarantee it won't overshoot when switching between buck and boost modes. It's just silence. =)

Those very classic SEPIC arrangements are actually prone to overshooting when switching modes, in particular from buck to boost operation. It'll probably take some tuning with capacitors and inductors values to tame this.

I would personally avoid that and use a dedicated buck-boost converter. Benefit is that the decent ones only require ONE inductor, as opposed to two for the SEPIC arrangement.
Sure there are tons from LT, but you can find them from many other vendors too. The MP2155, for instance, would be a good fit here, and is not expensive.

As always these days - availability? Who knows. Just pray, burn some stuff, cast spells, throw a tantrum, cry, get depressed, howl... depending on your religion, philosophy and/or state of mind. ;D

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 09:28:05 pm »
I was wondering why there was little information about operation in both buck and boost modes.  I assumed it was just some assumed knowledge that I lacked, as is often the case when datasheets go quiet on me.  I guess if they mention it but don't spec it I should assume it's a trap anyway.

(aside) Teslacoil: It's interesting that you're analysing ESD sensitivity per-pin.  That might explain why I've killed a few DC-DC regulators with my magic touch even after they're on a PCB -- they assume certain pins in the loop shouldn't get any ESD (possibly so they can keep the input capacitance on those pins lower?).

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 09:56:24 pm »
Those very classic SEPIC arrangements are actually prone to overshooting when switching modes, in particular from buck to boost operation. It'll probably take some tuning with capacitors and inductors values to tame this.

Can you define these modes?

SEPIC has DCM/CCM just like any other, but there's no buck (impling Vout < Vin?) or boost (>) condition, it's continuous in Vout/Vin.

(Or for that matter, given this device has a fixed duty cycle, we can likely assume CCM for on-times of more than one pulse and conversion ratio below the respective amount (here, Vout/Vin < 7/3, minus diode drop of course).  But that's really not too important here, CCM vs. DCM; it just burps as it needs to.)

I intentionally didn't include discussion of the topology, because it doesn't look to be a problem; there are things I would change, or at least check (say by putting together a simulation), but the fact that the overshoot is 10s of ms long tells me it's nothing the topology is doing, by itself.  It's being driven to do that.

I also don't know what the load is -- why is the overshoot dropping slower past the peak, then faster?  Is that the regulator doing something else as well, or what?

And, even if it's an undocumented startup function, why would it last for so long?  It's certainly longer than the RC time constant to VDD (50us), so it's not a voltage sense like the text seems to imply.  Well, unless it's momentarily shifting VREF up to 2.5V, if that's what they meant -- truly horrifying if so.  But then their boost startup waveform wouldn't be possible.  So yeh, no insight there unfortunately.

(aside) Teslacoil: It's interesting that you're analysing ESD sensitivity per-pin.  That might explain why I've killed a few DC-DC regulators with my magic touch even after they're on a PCB -- they assume certain pins in the loop shouldn't get any ESD (possibly so they can keep the input capacitance on those pins lower?).

Heh, perhaps.

ESD is all over the place; sometimes they use a standard structure per pin (e.g. like logic gates usually do), sometimes a common clamping structure (usually some kind of snapback diode to give better voltage drop) and clamp diodes from each pin.  Power devices, like this one, would certainly expect to have different ratings for the switch versus logic/inputs -- big transistors are usually ESD-safe as-is (e.g. in reverse, the body diode handles it; forward, its own avalanche may suffice) (well maybe not this one, it's not exactly a huge transistor), or if nothing else, need some other kind of protection due to the wildly different voltage rating (e.g., a 100V output transistor needs something very different from the 7 to 30V-rated control circuitry).  And sometimes they put in pretty good ratings (4kV is fairly common for logic sorts of things, if they've thought of it, I guess?), and sometimes they leave it completely undocumented (such as here).

Another example is a lot of RS-485 and similar such transceivers: the bus pins may be rated 8/15kV (contact/air discharge), but the logic only a few.  Or the whole device is rated 1/2kV and you damn well better supply your own external ESD protection if the bus has any remote possibility of being zapped!  So, you can't assume, gotta read the datasheet.

Tim
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 10:11:01 pm by T3sl4co1l »
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 10:31:19 pm »

Can you define these modes?

SEPIC has DCM/CCM just like any other, but there's no buck (impling Vout < Vin?) or boost (>) condition, it's continuous in Vout/Vin.

yeh, I don't get that either. The single inductor buck-boost, has extra switches so it can do both buck and boost and switch between then, SEPIC doesn't switch modes

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 11:49:23 pm »
The LM2621 designer offered some advice on the TI Support forum from someone suffering overvoltage during start up, though not a SEPIC design.  Powering Boot, Vdd, and En from Vout may tame your design.

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 02:44:57 am »
Powering Boot, Vdd, and En from Vout may tame your design.

I'd actually intended to bootstrap from VOUT, but completely forgot. It's described in documentation, and required for low VIN. Good find on the TI support forum.

I also don't know what the load is -- why is the overshoot dropping slower past the peak, then faster?  Is that the regulator doing something else as well, or what?

Probing the switch drain suggests it's silently open from peak VOUT to regulated output. No correlation to the knee in VOUT. There's still an inactive, but likely damaged, ambient light sensor loading the converter.

Appreciate the feedback. Your experience with converters is building a list of considerations I wouldn't have previously thought to look for without weeks of reading data sheets.

The following users thanked this post: T3sl4co1l

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf