Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

Siglent SP3050A probes marked “only for 2GHz model”

(1/5) > >>

bmjjr:
I have an SDS2104X plus which is upgraded to 500MHz. I wanted to upgrade the probes from the 200MHz PP215’s which I originally received. I bought two 500MHz SP3050A with autosense from tequipment.net, they were not in stock so I’ve been waiting about a month to receive them. They arrived today but I’m surprised to find they have a sticker attached to them that states “Only for 2GHz model”. Is this anything to worry about in using them with my 500MHz scope? Or have they been modified in some way which will be undesirable for my scope?  Thanks for your inputs.

bdunham7:
The only thing I can think of is that the compensation range might not be compatible, or at least it is a close call.  The probes specify from 8 to 20pF, the SDS2104X+ says 17pF on the front.  Try compensating them and see if it works out.  I  have no idea why it would say '2 GHz only' unless that is referring to some issue with the non-export 6000HD models.  The SDS6k models here all come with this probe and can be upgraded to the 2GHz model.

2N3055:
Explanation by Siglent in attachment.

Ideally, SP3050A without that label is meant to be used with SDS2000X+ or SDS5000X scopes.

tequipment.net got confused.

Since all SDS6000A are same hardware (500 MHz, 1GHz, 2GHz) these "2 GHz probes" are OK for all of these.
Marking is somewhat misleading. It should have been "Compensated for SDS6000A" or something like that.

They seem to be all the same, but these probes come with 3 compensation trimmers (2 in a box with BNC for high frequency trims, hidden under 2 little covers) and come set for a 2 GHz model front end.

Ideally, you should return them and ask for ones without tag.
They can be compensated for your scope, but you need more than standard 1kHz probe compensation signal on the scope and procedure is fiddly as trimming is iterative, i.e. trims are interactive, so you need to go back and forth until it looks OK.

bmjjr:
Given the lead time I've already gone through to get them delivered, I can hardly stand to send them back.  In preliminary usage, they seem fine after basic LF adjustment. But I'm surprised to find the instructions state that the HF adjustment should be done on a 1MHz square wave with <0.7ns rise-time...?

I have an SDG2000X arb wave generator and I fed that1MHz square wave through the scope, it appeared pretty good but given those two adjustment knobs, I almost had to turn them to see if I could make it better. But, after double-checking the SDG2000X datasheet, I see the datasheet shows the square wave can only achieve 9ns rise-time.  Even the top of the line SDG6000X datasheet spec is 2ns rise time.  So I'm not sure what kind of equipment must be needed to hit that 0.7ns rise time on a 1MHz square wave?  I guess it's best to not make the adjustment on a square wave with 9ns rise time?

While the datasheet for the SDS2000X Plus oscilloscope states that "In interleaving, mode bandwidth is 500 MHz, rise time is 0.8 ns; in non-interleaving mode bandwidth is 350 MHz, rise time is 1 ns".  So even if I could get the 0.7ns rise time seems it would be beyond the limits of the scope.

bmjjr:
Here’s what the 1MHz square wave currently looks like from my upgraded 2042x, connected directly by BNC, before any HF adjustment by myself. Opinions on whether or not the probe looks out of adjustment?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version