Author Topic: Signal conditioner to translate/scale 0-10V signal?  (Read 682 times)

Offline ddbearTopic starter

• Contributor
Signal conditioner to translate/scale 0-10V signal?
« on: May 18, 2022, 12:38:08 am »
I'm having fun with the new automation possibilities as I figure out a design for replacing my Miele kitchen fan with an inline Fantech 0-10VDC speed controllable fan.  I'm adapting the Miele exhaust hood button control panel with a bunch of DIN rail mounted relays to correspond to different 0-10V fan speeds depending which 120V wire is activated by the Miele controller.  Then I realized that I can have the inline fan turn on automatically if I use a current sensor relay on the cooktop circuit.  Now I'm taking the thinking a step further, as I discovered the Eaton CurrentWatch EAC Series current sensors can output a 0-10VDC signal -- I can have the fan speed vary according to the induction cooktop power setting.  However, the 0-10V signal on the current sensor probably won't line up exactly with the optimal fan speeds for a given cooktop temp, unless I get lucky with the settings out of the box.  So I'll probably need a DIN rail signal conditioner that would allow me to take the current sensor signal and translate that to the desired range and scale for the 0-10V.  For example, if the current sensor gives me 3-6V corresponding to cooktop amperage where things boil and fry where the exhaust fan is needed, I might want that to translate to 4-10V for the fan speed.  Is there a DIN rail signal conditioner product that would allow this kind of adjustment translation of the signal?  I found a lot of these products in a search but I'm overwhelmed by the possibilities.  Here is the datasheet on the current sensor:

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/eaton/products/industrialcontrols-drives-automation-sensors/currentwatch/currentwatch-eac-and-eacr-series-p51917.pdf
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 12:43:15 am by ddbear »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Signal conditioner to translate/scale 0-10V signal?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 12:43:00 am »
I would just build something, at a glance that sounds like a very basic op-amp circuit. No idea if an off the shelf DIN rail device exists, I wonder if someone sells DIN rail project enclosures?

The following users thanked this post: ddbear

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 01:01:27 am »
I think I would first try using a microcontroller. It would allow for quick testing of different translation curves.

You can get DIN rail mounts for Arduinos, e.g.:

https://www.amazon.com/DIN-Rail-Mount-Arduino-Mega/dp/B01MUBRAXG

https://thepihut.com/products/arduibox-open-standard-prototyping-din-rail-arduino-case

This first one looks rather simple and could be used for any PCB that used the same mounting holes.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 01:05:24 am by ledtester »

The following users thanked this post: ddbear

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 09:09:24 am »
I found two candidates so far,

Status SEM1600VI

"ADVANCED MODE An advanced configuration mode, giving the user access to programming options such as root
functions. A 22-segment user non linearisation profiling tool is also available for applications where the input to output
signal is not a “straight line” relationship. This can be used to create input to output curves, and also to control output
signal behaviour, when the input signal is outside limits."

https://www.status.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/D2535-01-08-CN5710-SEM1600VI-Data-Sheet.pdf

and

Pepperl+Fuchs KF**-USC-1.D
https://files.pepperl-fuchs.com/webcat/navi/productInfo/doct/tdoct0969c_eng.pdf?v=20200320004814

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 11:19:35 pm »
I ended up getting the Pepperl+Fuchs KFD2-USC-1.D K-System Signal Conditioner because it doesn't rely on a micro USB 2.0 port that will become totally obsolete 10 years from now (has built-in display for programming) and it has a built-in relay trigger which will simplify the rest of the circuit design.

I'm starting to really like the DIN format.  It is good for modular projects that don't need to be mass-produced, or miniature, or low cost.  Perfect for industrial automation (I consider the Miele kitchen fan to be industrial automation   :) ).

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 05:38:12 pm »
I doubt micro USB will go anywhere in the foreseeable future, USB 1.0 came out more than 20 years ago and it will still work in a state of the art USB-C port with an adapter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf