Author Topic: Signal wire that can withstand abuse  (Read 1677 times)

Offline plexusTopic starter

• Contributor
Signal wire that can withstand abuse
« on: December 08, 2021, 07:22:53 pm »
I have been tasked with finding a replacement cable for a footpedal. The issue is that the footpedal get's heavily used by the users of it - they have to move it around with their feet during procedures. The pedal has 3 foot switches, out to a cable and terminates in a multi-pin. The issue is that the cable always breaks somewhere in the length. I have tried other small signal cables but they all end up malfunctioning due to the abuse the pedal encounters. There is no opportunity to have the pedal treated better because it's within the context of the workflow of the company.

Do you know of a cable or cable-type that is designed for high wear and tear, bending and movement? The exisitng cable has 4 conductors. It only needs to carry low power DC. I have being using regular-type cable I can get from Digikey. Cable length is not critical, around 2-3 meters.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 03:04:38 pm by plexus »

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
Re: Signal wire that can withstand abuse
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 07:31:22 pm »
Maybe high-flex robotics cable.

The following users thanked this post: plexus

Online Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 07:58:36 pm »
 Olflex Silicone is pretty tough. Tip, put cores in parallel to mitigate against single conductor failures.
Put a sacrificial sleeve on top. Let them mash that up first. I have put silicone sleeving over expandable braided sleeving and it lasted a while..... but thats O.R. staff for you.

The following users thanked this post: plexus, AmnevaR

Offline elekorsi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 08:47:58 pm »
PUR cables can whistand a lot of mechanical abuse...
But the only long term solution will be if you put it into proper metal conduit + cable glands, for example like these: http://www.teaflex.com/en/Products/MetallicSystem/CoveredMetalconduits-Fittings-Accessories/SteelCoveredwithsteelbraid/SVT-MetalConduitgalvanisedcarbonsteelbraided

https://www.flexicon.uk.com/product/fsb-system/

We use those in heavy industries, such as steel mills and quarries. Those conduits and glands are quite expensive, but really worth their money.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 08:50:08 pm by elekorsi »

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 08:53:28 pm »
Pick high flex cable, put it in the heavy duty sleeve. Something like this (quick search): https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/kevlar-braided-sleeving

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 08:53:52 pm »
Why is it a secret how many conductors you need?

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 09:21:06 pm »

Because you didn't read the whole post  |O

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 10:21:55 pm »
Bad emoji selection, bro. Won't bring you friends.

The following users thanked this post: Someone, alm

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 10:48:09 pm »
"flex", motion, or handling rated cables usually come with a high strand count to be n-way redundant. So you'd be looking at something like
Belden 7111WS
Belden 8407
Canare L-4E6S

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 10:50:31 pm »
Bad emoji selection, bro. Won't bring you friends.

Neither will not reading a post and and asking sarcastic questions about what you missed. Lessons to be learned by all!  :-+

Thanks to everyone else that has replied! Some good answers. Considering the applications and what I have seen so far from your ideas and pointers so products, I think a custom cable solution with silicone conductors with a robust outer sleeve may be the way to go. I'll keep looking, though, for a pre-made solution too.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 10:52:51 pm by plexus »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 11:14:30 pm »

"The exisitng cable has 4 conductors."
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 11:20:02 pm »
Robust, but still commonly available (at least in the US substitute with local flavor of choice if not US), would be switching it to SOOW cable. Some 18-16awg 4 conductor shouldn't be absurdly large, but still quite robust with the rubber jacket. Fine stranding, EPDM rubber insulators, chlorinated polyethylene(CPE) jacket, Oil, water, outdoor rated.  Going beyond that, I would definitely start looking at continuous flex rated polyurethane jacketed cables, and even more resistant than that would start including stuff with actual armor.

Crane pendant cable may also be available in small enough quantities, and is pretty rugged. Available with either internal reinforcement, or external steel cables to support the weight of the pendant, or in this case, you could terminate the steel cables to the connector body, or pedal.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 03:07:31 am by ConKbot »

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2021, 01:24:04 am »
It is curious that the conductors break somewhere other than at the terminations, that would imply that the gauge of the wire is too small and it’s being stretched to the point of failure. Do you know what the gauge and stranding data of the failed cable is? It’s always good to have a starting point reference...

A practical note on silicone insulation: While very flexible, the material has poor cut and tear withstand, that softness and flex comes with a price.

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2021, 08:11:26 am »
Use highly flexible cable with lots of thin strands.
Cables with rubber insulation are also more durable then PVC.
Silicone is not very strong.

For extra protection you can also feed it through a garden hose.

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2021, 09:44:54 am »
It is curious that the conductors break somewhere other than at the terminations, that would imply that the gauge of the wire is too small and it’s being stretched to the point of failure.
This is a good point - midway breaks are usually stretch-related. In which case a cable with a steel tensile core like those used for overhead suspension would be good. Or field telephone wire but that might not be finely stranded enough for the flexing. Something with soft and stretchy insulation like silicone might be bad if the failures are stretch related.

How abusive is this environment? Is this a TIG pedal in a welding shop or something?

Do you know what the gauge and stranding data of the failed cable is? It’s always good to have a starting point reference...
Yes, this would be good, or even a part number / datasheet for what you currently use.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2021, 10:08:24 am »
Braided cables resist such sorts of abuse pretty well, since braid takes the tensile forces instead of the cable inside. I suggest buying a decent braided USB phone cable of the required length and cutting the connectors off.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf