Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

simulating railway circuits in circuit simulator

<< < (3/3)

rstofer:
I installed SciLab but I haven't tried to use it.  It's going to take some research...  It looks like the XCOS package is what I would need.

I have used Octave quite a bit and I try to write scripts that will run on both MATLAB and Octave.  Not everybody wants to pay for a program like MATLAB.  At the university where my grandson graduated, they have a first semester class in MATLAB for all incoming STEM students and then they use it for everything over the next 4-5 years.  I think they get their copy of MATLAB for free and can use it as long as they are a student.

I primarily use SimuLink for modeling analog computer problems like the attached.  The images were taken at different times so I have no reason to belive that the waveform is a result of the knob settings but that's the idea.

nctnico:

--- Quote from: dak4482 on January 18, 2022, 08:35:52 pm ---Hi all,
New to the forum. I am very interested in simulating the OLD railway circuit diagrams from the 50's and 60's using KICAD or something similar. Is anyone aware of a a source for the neutral, polar  etc relays to use to simulate these circuits? I checked Alstom's site and dont see spec sheets that may detail whether there are newer relays that may be used to emulate these older ones and if they have them available for circuit modeling software.

Attached is a typical circuit diagram from a patent application using the neutral and polarized relays during the 50's and 60's that I would typically like to simulate.

--- End quote ---
Kicad is the wrong tool for this. Use either Ltspice ( https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/185855/how-can-i-model-a-relay-in-ltspice-iv ) or Microcap ( ). Both a free circuit simulators.

Zero999:
I agree about using LTSpice.

I haven't watched the video, but I've read that stackexchange thread, which suggests a voltage controlled switch. This will work, but I prefer a current controlled switch, because the contacts can be placed in a different part of the schematic, than the coil, more than one contact and both normally open and closed contacts can be simulated.

555 delay off relay.asc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version