Author Topic: SMT diode and resistors for mains  (Read 3976 times)

Offline trevwhiteTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
SMT diode and resistors for mains
« on: October 10, 2012, 12:58:10 pm »
Hi all.

I have a mains circuit that uses 1N4007 diodes and standard through hole resistors. I want to replace these components with smt diodes and resistors. I thought I would need at least 3mm clearance between the diode pads. Anyone recommend a smt diode?

For the resistors is it safe just to put two 1206 in series?

Thanks

Trev

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: SMT diode and resistors for mains
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 03:19:43 pm »
I would go for 3 or more SMT resistors, depending on power dissipation. Do your calculations on the assumption mains is at max allowed level plus 10V and one resistor is shorted and the other 2 are at lowest end of tolerance band, and derate 50% from this. Then they will have a long life.

Offline larry42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 04:06:23 pm »
I would not use 1206 ( any amount) on the mains...

Remember mains is 230V rms nominal. Surges up to a kV or two are common (Cat II)

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

If you have an animated GIF in your avatar or signature then I reserve the right to think you're a dolt.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 04:55:01 pm »
Resistors have voltage ratings - read the datasheet, and use series combinations where necessary.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 08:11:42 pm »
I would not use 1206 ( any amount) on the mains...

Remember mains is 230V rms nominal. Surges up to a kV or two are common (Cat II)

I have used 1206 resistors on mains circuits - it was measuring a 600V CATIV system. I just used a lot of them in a nice long straight line. The resistors I found had very high pulse ratings, so as long as the power wasn't exceeded everything was fine.

It passed with flying colours when we tested it with the 8kV spikes required.

Neil
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline trevwhiteTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 08:20:27 am »
Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking more about clearances between pads than actual power ratings.

Offline Niklas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 08:54:39 pm »
I have used diodes with SMC package to handle voltages up to 350 Vdc. Check for S3F or S3G or something similar. Some manufacturers add an extra E in the beginning, ie ES3F.

The creepage distance between the pads is dependent of the PCB material and also of the pollution degree inside the enclosure. You can add distance by putting a milling line, with a minimum width of 1 mm, between the pads and let it extend 1.5-2 mm out from the diode package.

One other option is to add some conformal coating to the PCB after the diode is soldered. We used that on a board with 450 Vdc and some SMB package diodes. Some coatings are possible to inspect with UV light to make sure that all areas are covered.

1206 can be used if connected in series. Check voltage and power rating, as some other forum members already noted. Also note the creepage distance between the pads and add as many resistors you need to get the desired creepage, power and voltage rating. If the distance between the pads on a single resistor is 1.5 mm, then you need, at least, 3 of them to get more than 3.5 mm.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 01:58:47 am »
just remember that mains has repetitive peaks of 340V (240*1.414 for sine) on a normal day, with the limit on 375V (265V RMS) say when your product is plugged in where solar inverters are saturating an substation,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf