Author Topic: What are the connectors on the end of scope probe ground leads called?  (Read 914 times)

Offline IonforbesTopic starter

• Contributor
Being the unorganised person I am, some of my scope probe ground leads have disappeared. Buying spares is either uneconomical or across the globe so I tried making my own.

Only problem is, I can't work out what the crimp connector on the end that joins lead to probe is called   :palm:. 'Split ring' yielded nothing. I wouldn't have thought they're custom as they're used on the ultra cheap ebay ones.

If anybody knows that'd be great

Thanks

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
Re: What are the connectors on the end of scope probe ground leads called?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 12:08:15 am »
It's just a ground clip.  Try that in your search.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 12:11:32 am »
I have never run across them. I think they call it a ground collar clip. I think they are specialized diameter clips for specific probes so may only be in the probe manufacturer's parts in the factory.

This discussion may be of help -

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/86047/is-there-a-common-name-for-scope-collar-clips
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 12:26:15 am »
All my probes have them in 5mm diameter and they're a mix of brands. 'Ground clip' and 'collar clip' yielded nothing, so I may just buy the leads. It would still be interesting to find the clips though as it would allow a whole load if custom leads, like a hook/plunger clip or maybe even a banana jack, and sacrificing whole ground leads would be a bit expensive.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 12:55:25 am »
See https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sourcing-the-fork-terminals-used-on-oscilloscope-probe-ground-leads/

The consensus was they are custom OEM parts, and are virtually unobtanium except pre-attached to a ground clip lead.

Here's an Amazon UK link to some ground clip leads: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oscilloscope-Probe-Accessories-Ground-Cable/dp/B08HV4FF1V/
Dirt cheap and you could have them the following day.   Its anyone's guess how well they'll fit your probe but if they don't fit and your probe's ground ring is the modern 5mm standard, just send them back!

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 12:30:49 pm »
Don't know how I missed that thread, I'll just have to buy them and live with poor measurements for a few weeks  :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf