Author Topic: slim 4-40 nut driver  (Read 433 times)

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • If you can buy it for 4$ on eBay, why design it?
slim 4-40 nut driver
« on: August 13, 2019, 09:34:23 am »
I got this thing I want to take apart, it is held together by 4-40 nuts but as you can see they are in a pretty tight spot.
It is a Tektronix S-42. The manual hasn't revealed anything yet about what tool to use.
Of course I can't find my freakishly small wrench.
If someone was able to tighten them, there must be a tool for it.
What terms should I look for? I tried slim, narrow, and small. Didn't find much. It's like I need a nut driver with very thin walls.

Offline maginnovision

• Frequent Contributor
Re: slim 4-40 nut driver
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 09:38:57 am »
Usually you'd call it a thin wall socket. Might also find some open ended wrench that'd work but it'd be a special sort of tool. Can't you get it carefully with some pliers?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 09:45:17 am by maginnovision »

Online Stray Electron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 09:47:33 am »
  I have some equipment that uses 2-56 nuts in a similar situation and I had to turn the shaft o.d. down on some small nutdrivers to make them fit.  I used the short Xcelite brand nuts drivers that are about 4" long. The standard 2-56 nuts are 3/16" across but I managed to find some flange nuts that have a thin wall and are only 1/8" across the flats and 3/16" diameter flange. Sadly, I used all of the ones that I had and I haven't been able to find any more of them.  Here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-12-Xcelite-Nut-Drivers-P3-P10-slot-Screwdrivers/283525460782?hash=item42036f332e:g:2NAAAOSwDXpdD5ck:sc:USPSPriority!32765!US!-1 is a link to an E-bay auction that shows both the large and small Xcelite nutdrivers.  The ones that I used are the same as the small red handled one that is 2nd from the left on the bottom row.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 09:53:31 am »
Got a 1/4" drive socket set ?
Find the socket that fits then chuck it in a drill and grind the walls of the socket down.

Yes sacrilege I know but sometimes it's the only way.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 10:25:50 am »
Our local electronics supply store has this type of thing - the "cheap" ones actually have very thin walls, and I use them for the exact same situations
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline duak

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 12:50:21 pm »
I made a socket-wrench for a sensor nut by tapping a hex piece of steel into a piece of aluminum tubing.  A commercial socket wouldn't work because the sensor had a cable coming out of its end.  Do you have any tubing and a few 4-40 steel nuts or hex standoffs or an Allen key?  For something like a 4-40 nut, copper tubing might just do the job.

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 01:14:17 pm »
Try <precision nut driver set> or <precision screwdriver set>.  Many of these sets include nutdrivers.  They're are often metric, but you should be able to find something that fits.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • 💎
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 02:54:20 pm »
you can take a big one and grind it down to make a weak one

you can spin it in something and carefully file it to reduce its diameter, then hold a sharpening stone to it while its spinning to make it look less crappy, then sand paper

it will just fail sooner then regular ones

the only trick is having a tool to spin it in and being patient for a while gently filing it and holding a file strait (big drill press works), and you might also be able to jam the handle into a hole saw or something that attaches to a conventional drill with similar diameter (or make a clamp).

Since its steel you might want to use a dremel on it while its spinning (the file works good for brass, I have not tried one on steel I imagine it would take a while or be otherwise challenging or downright impossible its hardened).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:01:00 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 05:54:15 pm »
That is not the only place on Tektronix equipment where access requires thin wall nut drivers.  I got a set from Wiha for them.

https://www.wihatools.com/tech-tools/precision-screwdrivers/nut-drivers

Update: Wera has thin walled nut drivers also.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:52:56 am by David Hess »

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 06:54:47 pm »
"deep sockets" are usually thin wall the whole way and fit deep enough for such problems. I´ve got a metric set from Proxxon, no idea if they make imperial sizes.
Support your local planet.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • If you can buy it for 4$ on eBay, why design it?
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 12:52:31 pm »
Thanks everyone, I will mull these options over.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf