Author Topic: Slowing a movie down  (Read 832 times)

Offline PinheadBETopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Pinball Freak
Slowing a movie down
« on: March 20, 2023, 09:31:50 pm »
Hi,

I have some older Android tablets laying around, and I would like to recycle them in slow motion video players the easy way.
Unfortunetaly, I did not find a tool online that could play a video file slower than 0.25 x nominal speed.   Even the ubiquitus VLC cannot do better than 0.25 x on Android while it can go down to 0.02 x on Windows.... Go figure.....

Any ideas ?
- A program that slows down the framerate before playing ?
- An Android player that can go far under 0.25 x  ?
- A program to convert a video file in individual pictures and then another "picture player" that would change the picture once per 10 seconds, for example ?

I have trouble to believe no one ever tried that with those old tablets laying around.....

Thanks in advance
Please keep our planet clean

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Slowing a movie down
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 08:36:16 am »
Don't know about tablets, but on a PC, either VLC or MPV can play even at 0.01 speed.  The shortcut keys to change the speed are '[' for slower or ']' for faster, press repeatedly to keep decreasing/increasing.

For other processing, read the manual for 'ffmpeg', or search online for command line examples to do whatever you need.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 08:37:54 am by RoGeorge »

Offline freda

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 09:05:38 am »
set your desired slow speed with VLC and record it.
then see how the result file plays on the android?

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 09:23:23 am »
Convert your video files to a different frame rate using the well supported audio and video tool FFMPEG

https://ffmpeg.org/about.html

Keeping it simple, you can also playback .MP4 files through a custom web page in Android Chrome.

VLC has good support but, the Play Store may not have a back dated version for your tablets OS's.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 09:30:08 am »
Virtualdub (and the newer modded versions with support for mp4/mkv input) support changing framerate with or without changing time (ex convert 30fps to 10fps, or stretch 30fps into 3 seconds at 10fps)
But, it requires recompression of the video.

Offline Martin Luther

• !
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 04:42:09 am »
VPlayer and MX Player are two Android video apps that can do this. Both of them let you slow down the playing speed and even let you fix the pitch of the sound. FFmpeg is also a command-line tool that can help you change the framerate of a movie.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf