Author Topic: Scraping a 100W stereo and making PSUs for my desk  (Read 772 times)

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Scraping a 100W stereo and making PSUs for my desk
« on: January 18, 2018, 06:27:12 am »
I found a "cheap" 2004 5CD stereo in the garbage,  fuses are good, probably worked. So thats great, now I have a 100W transformer of the size I want for breadbroading on my desk.

So far I have taken it apart and set aside the 100W transformer (no center tap tho :--) and its main PCB which is just pretty basic and I think only analog on that board. And the PCB is wide open with lots of unused places, which is great because I can reuse the board and mod onto it some LM723s and what not that I bought for making my own stuff. So I'll make an adj voltage and adjustable current supply. And also make another separate split rail supply that I can switch over too. And I can put it all back in the bottom/back of the plastic case and add a wooden cover, dials, switches, etc.

Also there was an audio output filter board the size of a chocolate bar (2cm*3cm*7cm). It has L/R RCA plugs and the spring loaded speaker outputs. It also has a 8pin ribbon cable. So I took all the LCR stuff off the PCB and soldered up a basic LM317 adj. voltage regulator with an LED so far. I have some nicely secured alligator clips on there as well and a switch. I have to find my little drills and add in some current regulation and opamps too for fun. Blinky LEDs too like on STAR TREK. I didn't map it all out for using the traces for the next steps, but thats fine. I'll dead bug it and wire it with more switches. And I'll put it in a remote control case. For now I'll just use that with a 24V laptop PSU I guess, and stop using the 12V modem PSU. Add its a nice little compacted thing that will further reduce the wire clutter I hope

I have the radio section PCB,  a TOSHIBA TA8258H 80W 4ch mixer audio amp, all the motor stuff. And how hard is it do re-purpose the non-LCD display with wires inside, can't remember name. I don't know/remember much digital or programing. But even just lighting up any part is fine so long as u control it and then it can represent whatever u want.

Most of the chips in the stereo I can't find anything on. Look forward to seeing what all that stuff looks like on a scope. Probably not like much, but the radio and motor PCBs I'll power up and see.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:05:11 pm by lordvader88 »

Offline cellularmitosis

• Supporter
Re: Scraping a 100W stereo and making PSUs for my desk
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 08:14:01 am »
cool!  great project.

some of those old amps have very low value, high wattage ceramic resistors.  those are useful for high-amperage RLC filters.
LTZs: KX FX MX CX PX Frank A9 QX

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf