Author Topic: Software & tips for Rigol DS2072 ( DS2000 / DS4000 / DS6000 UltraVision DSOs )  (Read 371811 times)

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I saw several strange things including the Rigol USB connection presenting as a FTDI serial device. Hard to imagine that the length or quality of my USB cables caused that. NI-VISA doesn't mention W8 support. Does anyone have RUU working on W8? And are there XP users of RUU? And no I haven't tested other SCPI-based software on it.

I haven't heard anyone mentioning running it on W8 or XP - and I don't have either installed on any of my machines here - my last XP machine gave up the ghost a few weeks back. But I'm not doing anything particularly 'iffy' with the software - so I would think if you could get NI-VISA running with Rigol's own UltraSigma software (which gives you basic SCPI command control of the scope), than RUU would work as well.

So what is the difference between a bug report and a whine? I did my testing yesterday and it was reasonably obvious from the threads on this subject that you were busy working on a new release. Sounds like you have been working too hard on that release  :)

Yes - that is certainly true - way too hard  :P Sorry if I jumped the gun - I thought it sounded like you had tested it quite some time ago and hadn't mentioned anything here. As you can imagine, it's hard to develop with no feedback - and not many people leave any.

But I'm afraid I haven't made many changes to the communication routines in the software (since NI-VISA handles much of it) - so I'm not sure if 2.0 will work any better in that respect. But 2.0 is a standalone program now - and since it comes with a couple of example frame array files which can be played and plotted - anyone can try running it without NI-VISA installed or even a Rigol UltraVision scope. So I would be curious to find out what platforms it works on in that regard - and would be happy to try to support as many as possible.

Edit: And now this reminds me that I forgot (I think) to make sure the software should ignore the missing NI-VISA driver gracefully. Damn... 2.01 shortly I think.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:19:45 pm by marmad »

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
Hi, fantastic screen looks and functions in the 2.0. Congrats! Running on an XP computer the program crashes when trying to save arrays some times but surely when they are many. Also in the plot window when I check a preference with a dot in the various circles it stays there and can't get cleared if I try.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
P.S. Here is the message.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Hi, fantastic screen looks and functions in the 2.0. Congrats! Running on an XP computer the program crashes when trying to save arrays some times but surely when they are many. Also in the plot window when I check a preference with a dot in the various circles it stays there and can't get cleared if I try.

Thanks for the bug report, Salas - I will look into the crash problem - but the second problem you mention is unclear to me. The plot window has mostly radio buttons - meaning one of the group MUST be checked - so you can't clear a radio button by checking it  - you clear it by checking a different choice in the group. Is that what you mean?

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
DS2072 FW1.00.02 

Thanks Marmad  , just started using RUU 2.0  on Windows XP, and just to report all versions so far have work. on Win XP pro. 
Things to check are that NU Visa is install
Also that the DLL files are in Directory with RUU.exe

A Few things:

1.   I guess RUU gets data between DSO trace is ended.
on Slow scan rate , about 200ms/div that takes 2.8 seconds per trace;
Do you think there is any benefit for the RUU program to simulate the slow tracing of data on the PC display?

2  When I shutdown DSO before RUU is closed the error message loops and it is hard to Close RUU
   I suggest maybe after OK, click  just Close RUU.

3.  small thing  top line "Save FrA"  tittle is a bit low in the display and bottom of characters are clipped
for both (1280x1024) and  (800x600) display resolutions settings

Thanks Again Marmad
I'll PM you, to contribute $$$ to support the RUU development FUND. :-+

I'll continue to test on FW1.00.02
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:11:47 am by Teneyes »
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Thanks for the feedback, Teneyes!

1.   I guess RUU gets data between DSO trace is ended.
on Slow scan rate , about 200ms/div that takes 2.8 seconds per trace;
Do you think there is any benefit for the RUU program to simulate the slow tracing of data on the PC display?

Not sure what you mean - do you mean simulate the 'beam tracing' which Rigol simulates? If that's what you mean, then I don't think it's worth the coding time at present. Perhaps in a later version.

2  When I shutdown DSO before RUU is closed the error message loops and it is hard to Close RUU
   I suggest maybe after OK, click  just Close RUU.

Yes, thanks, I forgot to handle this gracefully - I will fix this in a update.

3.  small thing  top line "Save FrA"  tittle is a bit low in the display and bottom of characters are clipped
for both (1280x1024) and  (800x600) display resolutions settings

Ok, I'll adjust this.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 04:59:25 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Running on an XP computer the program crashes when trying to save arrays some times but surely when they are many.

@Salas: Any idea how many frames you were trying to save? Can you get this error to repeat with a specific number for my debugging? Thanks.

Also, I realize I have to lock out more controls from the user when saving - since manipulating certain buttons during a save could cause a crash.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
Mostly gives me a non handled exception after I save when I press FrArray. Does it when 100 or 300 but not for 10 frames in a quick check. But does it on 10 if both channels are checked. When I save over an existing filename I need to minimize the  program and maximize again for the are you sure message to appear. About the radio buttons there are the none buttons I did not notice bcs I looked around the program fast. Real time display addition is great btw. Measurements display is the most I miss. Great job overall. Is there a way it can capture and save a plotted screen that I did not see? My Visa drivers are refreshed by the Rigol command program that came with the scope. No crashes or glitches with the previous version or halting the scope.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: startIndex
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.BitConverter.ToInt32(Byte[] value, Int32 startIndex)
   at Rigol_UtraVision_Utilities.FrAPlot.putFraData()
   at Rigol_UtraVision_Utilities.FrAPlot.FrAPlot_OnLoad(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3643 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
RUU
    Assembly Version: 0.1.4798.42547
    Win32 Version: 0.1.4798.42547
    CodeBase: file://MyBookLive/Public/NikosFolder/Back_ups/Bck_Boot_(C)/Rigol%20DS2000/RUU_2_0/RUU.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3645 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3644 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3644 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
NationalInstruments.VisaNS
    Assembly Version: 8.9.20.108
    Win32 Version: 8.9.20.108
    CodeBase: file://MyBookLive/Public/NikosFolder/Back_ups/Bck_Boot_(C)/Rigol%20DS2000/RUU_2_0/NationalInstruments.VisaNS.DLL
NationalInstruments.Common
    Assembly Version: 8.7.20.131
    Win32 Version: 8.7.20.131
    CodeBase: file://MyBookLive/Public/NikosFolder/Back_ups/Bck_Boot_(C)/Rigol%20DS2000/RUU_2_0/NationalInstruments.Common.DLL
Accessibility
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
Gif.Components
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.1
    Win32 Version: 0.0.0.1
    CodeBase: file://MyBookLive/Public/NikosFolder/Back_ups/Bck_Boot_(C)/Rigol%20DS2000/RUU_2_0/Gif.Components.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Does it when 100 or 300 but not for 10 frames in a quick check. But does it on 10 if both channels are checked.

I need a little more clarification - is this when you are trying to capture and save a frame array from the Rigol (Rigol -> RUU -> disk) - or is this when you are trying to save a frame array as an animated GIF (RUU -> disk)?

When I save over an existing filename I need to minimize the  program and maximize again for the are you sure message to appear.

Check, added to the bug-list.

Measurements display is the most I miss.

Next version  ;)

Great job overall.

Thanks! :)

Is there a way it can capture and save a plotted screen that I did not see?

Yes, when 'Fra' is checked in Play groupbox, a 'Display' -> 'Bitmap' - > 'Save' will save the current RUU screen. So any plot or frame displayed will be saved.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor

I need a little more clarification - is this when you are trying to capture and save a frame array from the Rigol (Rigol -> RUU -> disk) - or is this when you are trying to save a frame array as an animated GIF (RUU -> disk)?

[/quote]

Frames are recorded from the DSO and saved as .fra then I go press FrArray to invoke the plot screen. That's when I get the exception. "Continue" works but it tends to get unstable after that pop up some times.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Frames are recorded from the DSO and saved as .fra then I go press FrArray to invoke the plot screen. That's when I get the exception. "Continue" works but it tends to get unstable after that pop up some times.

Before you press 'FrArray', do you get the automatic plot that should be generated after the save?

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
No.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
No.

Hmm... I'm wondering if it might be a memory problem - frame arrays are held in memory when created. I can't recreate the error here at all - no matter how many frames I capture from the Rigol. How much memory do you have on your PC?

Edit: Can you please post one of your frame array files that is created right before a crash? That would be very helpful for debugging.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:07:50 pm by marmad »

Offline zibadun

• Regular Contributor
marmad,
Is RUU supposed to be able to connect via TCP/IP?   I'm getting No VISA found message and then it prompts to enter the name.  I've tried entering the IP address of the scope but it didn't like it.

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
Thanks marmad!

I had time only for a short test. When saving display to old file name, the program tilts. It only beeps and it is impossible to close the file window or the program, but using task manager.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Is RUU supposed to be able to connect via TCP/IP?   I'm getting No VISA found message and then it prompts to enter the name.  I've tried entering the IP address of the scope but it didn't like it.

@zibadun: This is a bug caused by the TCPIP connection adding an extra CR onto the end of display data received from the DSO. I've already fixed it, but you'll have to wait for the next update to use TCPIP - it won't be too long, but I have a few other bugs to tackle before posting.

EDIT: Just as a note to those thinking of using TCPIP:
Display frames per second received from the scope (optimum case):
Normal Mode:
Single Channel: USB = ~25FPS / TCPIP = ~13FPS
Dual Channel: USB = ~17FPS / TCPIP = ~7FPS
Delayed Sweep Mode:
Single Channel: USB = ~14FPS / TCPIP = ~7FPS
Dual Channel: USB = ~11FPS / TCPIP = ~5FPS
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:11:57 pm by marmad »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I had time only for a short test. When saving display to old file name, the program tilts. It only beeps and it is impossible to close the file window or the program, but using task manager.

@EV: This is a bug already pointed out by Salas in a previous post. The confirm dialog box ("Are you sure?") is hidden behind the refreshing of RUU's display. It's already been fixed in the next bug update (coming soon), but in the meantime, if you just hit enter (or minimize/maximize RUU window) you should be able to get past the problem for now.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
@dougg: The next bug-fix release eliminates all references to NI-VISA if the scope is unconnected - so no need to have the VISA .dlls at all. That means that anyone who can run a standard Windows program should be able to run RUU and play / plot the example frame arrays - and load frame arrays created and posted by others.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
No.

Hmm... I'm wondering if it might be a memory problem - frame arrays are held in memory when created. I can't recreate the error here at all - no matter how many frames I capture from the Rigol. How much memory do you have on your PC?

Edit: Can you please post one of your frame array files that is created right before a crash? That would be very helpful for debugging.

I waited something like 50secs this time to see if something happens and then the blank screen started plotting. The DSO counts play frames at that time. Is it 508frames/11fps related maybe? If I wait that long to press FrArray I don't get the message. Its a PentiumD 3.4GHZ Dell Optiplex with 20195172(K) memory and 1367968 available at that time. CPU% never went more than 21% as the system was running at the time. EEVblog does not allow my .fra file type to upload 4U.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I waited something like 50secs this time to see if something happens and then the blank screen started plotting. The DSO counts play frames at that time. Is it 508frames/11fps related maybe? If I wait that long to press FrArray I don't get the message. Its a PentiumD 3.4GHZ Dell Optiplex with 20195172(K) memory and 1367968 available at that time. CPU% never went more than 21% as the system was running at the time. EEVblog does not allow my .fra file type to upload 4U.

You realize that it takes time to get the data from the scope, don't you? 500 frames would take at least ~30 seconds minimum. That is why the Save box title changes to 'Saving...' and the current frame box counts the frames as they are being retrieved from the Rigol. Are you trying to press 'FrArray' before you actually transfer the frame array data from the Rigol? Or are you saying that - after the 'Saving...' is finished (the current frame counter has stopped) - it's taking 50 seconds to start plotting?

Edit: I think I'm realizing that you were pressing the FrArray button before you finished getting the data from the scope - i.e. trying to plot data that wasn't there. Ok, got it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:03:30 pm by marmad »

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
There is this old familiar error when I try to "Compile FrArray Save". It works if I change decimal comma to decimal point from control panel.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
There is this old familiar error when I try to "Compile FrArray Save". It works if I change decimal comma to decimal point from control panel.

@EV: If you want me to track this down, you will have to copy and paste the 'Exception Text' part of the message.

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
@EV: If you want me to track this down, you will have to copy and paste the 'Exception Text' part of the message.

Here it is:

Tämän sanoman lopussa on tietoja siitä, kuinka voit
ottaa käyttöön JIT-virheenkorjauksen tämän valintaikkunan sijasta.

************** Poikkeuksen teksti **************
System.InvalidCastException: Muunto merkkijonosta 0.000000 lajiksi Single ei ole kelvollinen. ---> System.FormatException: Syötemerkkijonon muoto ei ollut kelvollinen.
   kohteessa Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ParseDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
   kohteessa Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToSingle(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
   --- Sisäisen poikkeuksen pinon jäljityksen loppu ---
   kohteessa Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToSingle(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
   kohteessa Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToSingle(String Value)
   kohteessa Rigol_UtraVision_Utilities.Utilities.save_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Ladatut kokoonpanot **************
mscorlib
    Kokoonpanon versio: 2.0.0.0
    Win32-versio: 2.0.50727.5466 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    Koodikanta: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
RUU
    Kokoonpanon versio: 0.1.4798.42547
    Win32-versio: 0.1.4798.42547
    Koodikanta: file:///C:/Users/Eino/Desktop/RUU_2_0/RUU.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32-versio: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    Koodikanta: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32-versio: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    Koodikanta: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32-versio: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    Koodikanta: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Kokoonpanon versio: 8.0.0.0
    Win32-versio: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    Koodikanta: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
NationalInstruments.VisaNS
    Kokoonpanon versio: 8.9.20.108
    Win32-versio: 8.9.20.108
    Koodikanta: file:///C:/Users/Eino/Desktop/RUU_2_0/NationalInstruments.VisaNS.DLL
NationalInstruments.Common
    Kokoonpanon versio: 8.7.20.131
    Win32-versio: 8.7.20.131
    Koodikanta: file:///C:/Users/Eino/Desktop/RUU_2_0/NationalInstruments.Common.DLL
mscorlib.resources
    Win32-versio: 2.0.50727.5466 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    Koodikanta: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
Accessibility
    Win32-versio: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    Koodikanta: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
Gif.Components
    Kokoonpanon versio: 0.0.0.1
    Win32-versio: 0.0.0.1
    Koodikanta: file:///C:/Users/Eino/Desktop/RUU_2_0/Gif.Components.DLL
Microsoft.VisualBasic.resources
    Kokoonpanon versio: 8.0.0.0
    Win32-versio: 8.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    Koodikanta: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic.resources/8.0.0.0_fi_b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.resources.dll
System.Windows.Forms.resources
    Win32-versio: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    Koodikanta: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_fi_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll

************** JIT-virheenkorjaus **************
JIT-virheenkorjauksen käyttöönotto edellyttää, että tämän
sovelluksen tai koneen kokoonpanon määritystiedostossa (Machine.config)
on jitDebugging-määritys system.windows.forms-osassa.
Virheenkorjaus on myös oltava käytössä sovellusta
käännettäessä.

Esimerkiksi:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

Kun JIT-virheenkorjaus on käytössä, käsittelemättömät poikkeukset
lähetetään koneessa rekisteröityyn JIT-virheenkorjaustoimintoon
eikä niitä käsitellä tässä valintaikkunassa.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Here it is:

Thanks - I think I found it. Please check it again when I release the bug-fix update.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Uploaded v.2.01 (Bug fixes).
Change log:
1) Fixed a bug that hid the Confirm Overwrite File dialog box.
2) Fixed a bug which screwed-up VISA TCPIP connections.
3) Fixed Open / Record bug when trying to record frames at timebases >= 200ms (Rigol won't do it).
4) Altered the text size of groupbox names.
5) Fixed a system.globalization error when converting strings to floating point numbers.
6) Fixed a bug which caused the software to hang when trying to save individual files for frames.
7) Added code which lets RUU terminate the VISA connection gracefully if the DSO is turned off with an active connection.
E) Idiot-proofed the enabling/disabling of buttons to prevent usage during active file saves/plots.
9) Removed all references to VISA .dlls when running standalone - except to the 'Connect' button. If you want to run RUU without VISA, delete the NationalInstruments.dlls from the directory (or just don't press 'Connect' when running the software.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:19:56 pm by marmad »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf