Author Topic: Software & tips for Rigol DS2072 ( DS2000 / DS4000 / DS6000 UltraVision DSOs )  (Read 371482 times)

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
Yes indeed. Dsa815 would be great.

Offline han

• Frequent Contributor
+1 for DSA  :-+

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
I really like using RUU for my DS2072+ :)

I just got a Rigol DSA815-TG and would be willing to fund an upgrade to RUU for DSA connectivity.
Who else is willing to put their money where their mouth is?  :) I did contributed for the DS2000

Can members on  EEVBLOG help to Kick-start this project?
Maybe Marmad can be encouraged to look into it.
But Marmad does NOT have a DSA815 to test with!!!
Who would be willing to lend Marmad their DSA?? (in Europe)
I'm sure many DSA owner's here would be willing to beta test any new RUU features that Marmad can code just from the DSA User's Guide SCPI commands.

What specifications would DSA owners like to incorporate in RUU?
   1. Just DSA display captures?
   2. Multiple Display captures into a animated .GIF ?
   3. Sweep starts and end limits (slow scans)?
   4. Save Setup parameters/then restore for later Testing.?
   5. 3D plots for a "Filter" at various input levels (or whatever)?

Marmad does have a PayPal account to receive your support.

A Pic to show the elegance of RUU
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

Offline vortexnl

• Contributor
Hey guys, I just got this an hour ago and have been messing around a bit. I'm having some trouble plotting frame arrays... I'm recording like 100 waveforms and saving those as a frame array, but when I try to plot the data, it just shows the first waveform over and over on the plotter.... I tried literally everything, what am I doing wrong here?   :-BROKE

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
I'm recording like 100 waveforms and saving those as a frame array, but when I try to plot the data, it just shows the first waveform over and over on the plotter...  :-BROKE
Please check my post here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/software-tips-and-tricks-for-rigol-ds200040006000-ultravision-dsos/msg351735/#msg351735
Is this the same problem as you have?
I have not had any confirmation on this problem.

I have narrowed it  down , to the fact that when the 'UTIL' - Record Menu was open on the right side on the DS2000
this occiurs.
Also if there are measurements being displayed on the DSO ,  RUU also may have errors (stalls) like in pic.

LAN or USB connection could have an affect in this problem also
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:22:46 pm by Teneyes »

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Hey guys, I just got this an hour ago and have been messing around a bit. I'm having some trouble plotting frame arrays... I'm recording like 100 waveforms and saving those as a frame array, but when I try to plot the data, it just shows the first waveform over and over on the plotter.... I tried literally everything, what am I doing wrong here?   :-BROKE

I would need some more detail (specific settings for plotting, etc) in order to try to diagnose the problem.

Offline vortexnl

• Contributor
I'm recording like 100 waveforms and saving those as a frame array, but when I try to plot the data, it just shows the first waveform over and over on the plotter...  :-BROKE
Please check my post here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/software-tips-and-tricks-for-rigol-ds200040006000-ultravision-dsos/msg351735/#msg351735
Is this the same problem as you have?
I have not had any confirmation on this problem.

I have narrowed it  down , to the fact that whne the 'UTIL' - Record Menu was open on the right side on the DS2000
this occiurs.
Also if there are measurements being displayed on the DSO ,  RUU also may have errors (stalls) like in pic.

LAN or USB connection could have an affect in this problem also

Thanks for the tip, I was using LAN and I just switched to USB and everything works!

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
I would need some more detail (specific settings for plotting, etc) in order to try to diagnose the problem.
@Marmad , and anyone else , who is willing to varify this RUU connection problem.
These are the conditions:
   DS2072,
   FW=00.02.01.00.03
   HW 1
   No options
   PC w/Windows XP running RUU 2.03
   Connected via USB

Now I recorded frames using the record button on the DS2072
I then like to select the start and end frame numbers by playing the frames using the Big Navigation knob. Once I know start and end frames, I use RUU to play  my select frames
(connected via USB)
Edit: The error also occurs if the record was initiated by RUU

I then save the frames to a Frame array File ( see 1st Pix)
RUU running through the frames and the DSO shows each frame on the DSO display as the RUU program is saving the data.

After the saving of data is completed, RUU displays the 3D array ( see 1st Pix)
All the data in the Array is only the first Frame , repeated for all frames
Note. As RUU was requesting the data, the DSO was displaying the different frames
Note each frame in this test were displays of a  frequency sweep.

Note that during the data transfer from the DSO to RUU , the UTIL -Record - Play menu was open on the right side of the DSO Display (See 2nd Pix )

Now if the 'UTIL' Menu is closed the RUU will save the correct frames (See 3rd Pix)

The Correct data is saved when just the 'UTIL' menu is open (see 4th Pix)
There is no error if the 'UTIL - PLAYBACK' Menu second Page is Open (See 5th Pix)
The same bug exists on FW 00.01.01.00.02
I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 07:31:39 pm by Teneyes »

Offline ats3788

• Contributor
Hello
Friends of Electronics

I their a way to use this Program RUU for the DS1074 Z Series

Offline ats3788

• Contributor
Thx Teneyes
that sucks  :palm:

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
Thx Teneyes
that sucks  :palm:

just wait, it'll be available eventually.  Loan marmad your DS1074Z for a couple weeks and I'm sure it'll get done more quickly. ;)

Offline MatCat

• Frequent Contributor
I haven't seen it before mentioned, but why isn't this project open source?  I would of put DS1xxxZ support in already myself if it was, heck I already wrote nearly the same app completely myself, but I don't have the time to polish it up to the same level of quality this one is at now, but I certainly have the time to get it working on an existing base.  It's not even that far off, the command structure is near identical and the 2xxx series only has a few extra commands above that of the 1xxx. 

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
I have had a chat with Mark and he says he is looking for funding,
How much are you willing to Pay??   30$?,  20Eur?  10$?

I would recommend he add something like this: https://personal.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=marketing_us/fundraise_social_media_app to the first post.

Goal can be $1 million for following:
- open source
- support for oculus rift 3D waveform view
- one click unlocking of rigol ds2xxx to 2GHz bandwidth
:-+
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
If I could get 1000Z support, I would be willing to donate tot his project.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
If I could get 1000Z support, I would be willing to donate tot his project.
No need for donations at this point: the problem is mainly one of time (with many many other projects going on).

Anyway, here is the first alpha of RUU 3.0 - rewritten to (hopefully) handle 4 channels on the DS1000Z and DS4000 series - as well as the smaller screen size (12 divs) of the DS1000Z (BTW, you need to have installed the VISA runtime, as mentioned in the first post of this thread).

This is ONLY a testing version - all functionality/features apart from the 2D graphics engine have been disabled. I would appreciate if DS1000Z and DS4000 series owners could test it and make sure that the software is correctly displaying 3 and 4 waveforms. The Displayed Sweep mode is not working right yet, but should be in the next alpha version to test. I'm currently tightening up the code for the engine to see if I can squeeze faster waveform per second rates out of the DSO - so I would appreciate if testers could note the WPS rates they get with 1, 2, 3, and 4 channels enabled.

A few things to explain (which should be clearer if you examine the attached image):

X.Pntr checkbox = Extra pointer info - including voltage offset(s) of the channel(s) - and the channel any trigger is assigned to (color bar at end of each trigger pointer).
Trig.L checkbox = Trigger lines (I think that's obvious).
10div checkbox = (only applicable to  DS1000Z & DS2000) 250 steps / 10 vertical divisions from the ADC - as opposed to the 200 / 8 you normally see.
There are also 2 boxes of trigger info - top and bottom - which give either extended trigger info when using a single trigger - or info for both triggers when using one of the dual trigger modes - as well as extended sample and acquisition info at the top.

I should point out that if you select CAN trigger with RUU running, it might hang the software (at least it does on a DS2000) - which might result in needing to use Task Manager to shut down RUU. This is a bad bug in the Rigol which doesn't respond correctly to SCPI Trigger commands when CAN is selected; I'm currently looking for a workaround.

So, feel free to test - but please, if you do, let me know if it's working (and with WPS rates). Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 05:48:04 pm by marmad »

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
Hallo Mark,

Tested your version on a DS1000, via TCP/IP

I get no picture, when i started your RUU, after some time, it says no DSO found...
Cant get out of this message, has to kill it with taksbar.

BUT, i opened Ethereal, to check, it makes connection.., it sends out a *IDN?, get respsonse form the DS1000.
Then it starts with a Func:wrep:fend?
and keeping requesting this for a few times and then it stops...

EDIT: even i killed it in the task manger, the proces was still running, i had to kill it also in the proces manager
using windows 7, 32 bit.

Tested on the DS2000, thats works oke.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 06:08:41 pm by Wim13 »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Hallo Mark,

Tested your version on a DS1000, via TCP/IP

I get no picture, when i started your RUU, after some time, it says no DSO found...
Cant get out of this message, has to kill it with taksbar.

Did you enter the correct IP address? As mentioned in post 1 of this thread, RUU does not (at this time) have a TCP/IP sniffer - if you don't enter the correct resource name (e.g. TCPIP::192.168.1.200::INSTR) it's not going to find it.

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
I checked , with the network sniffer, and it makes connection with the DS1000,

With the DS2000 works oke.

With the sniffer i saw.., the *IDN?, that was exchanged correct,  wih the DS1000
after that the next command they stopped.

So the connection is oke....

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
With the sniffer i saw.., the *IDN?, that was exchanged correct,  wih the DS1000

Got it - I realized after I posted that you had, in fact, made a connection with the DSO. So it seems as if the DS1000Z is not responding to the exact same REC Commands as the DS2000/4000 - causing RUU to hang.

EDIT: Now I remember that Mark_O pointed out that the DS1000Z is missing the FUNC commands (for manipulation of recording and playing back segments).  I'll have to make some more changes to make it work correctly on the DS1000Z --- another Alpha soon to follow...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 06:23:50 pm by marmad »

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor

I have checked the command manual of the DS1000,
and it is correct, the DS1000 has no :func command.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I checked , with the network sniffer, and it makes connection with the DS1000,

With the DS2000 works oke.

Ok, I think I might have sorted out the problem - for now  ;D   Can you please give this a try, Wim?

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor

Looked at same time with the network sniffer,

No , same problem, not responding to :func:wrep after a saw some other commands:

First got: several  :WAV:mode and then again a :func, so there are more Funkies....

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive

Looked at same time with the network sniffer,

No , same problem, not responding to :func:wrep after a saw some other commands:

First got: several  :WAV:mode and then again a :func, so there are more Funkies....

Weird - I thought I squelched all :FUNC commands. I will have to check it again - but first I will eat (late) dinner and then tackle it again.

BTW, I should point out the following:

Although I'm happy, of course, that the Rigol DSOs use SCPI commands - their implementation of SCPI is extremely CRUDE (just compare their manual with an Agilent, Tek, etc, manual). They don't follow simple protocols to let the communicating software know when the device is busy (even though they 'imply' that they do in the manual) - they just don't respond to commands. So it's up to the software to decide if the DSO is busy, incapable of responding to a particular command, or disconnected.

It's a complete mess when you're trying to write software to do something as fast as possible (like updating a screen). This is why RUU has troubles exiting gracefully - or knowing when to exit gracefully - when there's a problem.

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
Oke, but i am clossing down the station.

But, your software can not be closed, after the error report, i have to kill the process as well the application by hand.

back to morrow evening..

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
But, your software can not be closed, after the error report, i have to kill the process as well the application by hand.
Well, it IS in the alpha state  ;D

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I now got rid of all the occurrences of the offending FUNC commands for the DS1000Z. It was a pain in the ass - and only due to Rigol's incompetence of not instituting the same relevant SCPI command set found in the other UltraVision DSOs. Unfortunately, it means that one of the big features of RUU - downloading recorded frames and then displaying thermal and waterfall plots of those frames - will not be possible with the DS1000Z until Rigol corrects the problem.

All of the download links have been updated - but here it is again: RUU 3.00.a02

Still no DS4000 owners have checked to see if it displays all 4 channels correctly?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:16:07 pm by marmad »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf