Author Topic: Sourcing Korean connectors  (Read 1028 times)

Offline ckambiselisTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Sourcing Korean connectors
« on: February 05, 2023, 04:50:46 pm »
Hi,
Does anyone know of any Korean or Japanese parts distributors that have connectors that can only be found around there? I got a couple of automotive connectors made by KUM CO that I can't find in any of the usual parts distributors, their website doesn't even seem to open correctly, they were bought by Aptiv in 2018, but can't find any of their connectors on Aptiv's website. The design is also so special that can't really find anything that might fit, It is a design still in use though, since it is used by Hyundai at least until 2022.

I did find them on Alibaba, I believe they are clones, but with a price of 2,79€ and a minimum order of 200, it's not really an option.

I attached part of their catalogue with the connector, but it's the only info I have found about it, so resin 3D printing it is also impossible.

Oscar

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: Sourcing Korean connectors
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 04:58:11 pm »
The HSC contacts look like Berg and similar receptacles for 0.025" square pins and are 0.5" long.  Do you need both the contacts and housings or just one?  If you are replacing both, why not substitute functionally equivalent but more readily available parts?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 05:06:32 pm »
The idea is to make a Y-cable to read CAN busses from the car's gateway individually, without modifying any of the original cabling, so I actually need the male and female housings plus pins for them, I have found the connectors for other devices connected to those busses but they are also made by KUM at least the one I got easy access to but that particular 16 pin connector is the best place to connect to, since all the the CAN buses (5 of them) connect to that connector.

Oscar

Offline Jeff eelcr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 01:32:10 am »
Try sourcing thru Hyundai parts.
Jeff

Offline DavidKo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 11:49:47 am »
Isn't the CAN bus available on OBD connector? Since it is a bus (there can be several independent CAN busses in car) you can connect to it anywhere.

The connector (tooling) can be own by Hyundai and not available on free market.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 11:52:16 am by DavidKo »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 01:03:17 pm »
Hyundai OEM Parts Online doesn't seem to have it, and they would have only had the female connector found on the wiring harness, the male connector is directly on the gateway PCB.

While it is possible to access all busses from the OBD, the access is restricted somehow, they are only accessible if you have a OBD service dongle and software from Hyundai/Kia (costs about 4-5k), I believe the gateway also works as a router/firewall, and access is granted to all data only if a key or special command is sent to the gateway. The car has 5 separate CAN busses in total, and that connector I am searching is were they are all connected on the gateway.

The good news is I got the Alibaba seller, I had found them from, to sell me only 10 sets. But it would be nice to find a distributor that sells them anyway, in case someone else is also interested, the project this is going to be used is Open Vehicle Monitoring System, an open source EV tracker, remote metrics and control system.

Oscar

Offline DavidKo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 01:24:46 pm »
You can try to connect to the bus with this or this to check if the bus is not encrypted before you buy the connector. For permanent solution you can use something like this.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2023, 07:46:24 pm »
I actually have a couple of non-contact CAN bus readers already connected, these work just by passing the cables over the PCB of the readers, locking it in place and it reads the signal inductively, the connector is for sending CAN commands, and that part is for sure not encrypted. The "talking" between the busses is what is behind a "firewall".

Oscar

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf