I have a project idea that may require DC power up beyond 1200W and doing that with a linear approach will be too big, heavy and expensive so SMPS seems the way to go. The modern ATX PS is an interesting comparison as there are commercially available models of 1200W and larger and with economy of scale the prices are not bad either. But, I can't say I ever had the need to dig into one and don't have anything newer than about 14 years old to play with. So, are there any pointers to the overall design and arrangement of how they're typically made?
It looks like it will be a multi-stage unit to first of all handle incoming power of 100VAC to 240VAC and 50 or 60 Hz and correct for power factor. The output end has multiple rails at 12VDC, -12VDC, 5VDC and 3.3VDC so there are obviously numerous sections taking an intermediate voltage and bucking it down to the required voltage. So, is there one intermediate voltage between the filtered and corrected input section and the output sections and if so what would that be and why?
Again, in my application it would be useful to be able to leverage the design and volume production of already available ATX power supplies and if I were to contract with a supplier of them it would be easier and cheaper to use something that's off the shelf as much as possible. If a design change is warranted and I suspect it is then having the bones of an off the shelf unit but changing the outputs would, I think, be the best way to go.
In my potential application I may be able to get away with a single output voltage in the 30VDC 25-45A range but I may need a secondary output at about 12VDC 20-30A with the total power output being, perhaps, about 1200W or maybe a bit more. I could do a clean sheet design, but starting with a well made and efficient ATX PS and perhaps modifying the output sections may well be cheaper and quicker in the long run.
Brian