Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

Starting out on a lab power supply adventure...

(1/6) > >>

FenderBender:
I was in the thrift store the other day and saw a pretty dang nice Home theater mixer/equalizer box. Dobly certfied and everything. I wasn't really interested in the piece of equipment itself but rather the torroid transformer in side. Price tag was $8. Took it home. Cracked it open. 14V-0-14V @ 4A. Hell yeah.Pretty perfect for the supply I need for my lab.

Aight so here's what I've got so far... If you have any ideas, please tell me. Otherwise, I guess this will more or less just be a thread where I'll give you some updates.

The goals for this project:

-Dual rails (Positive and Negative)
-Adjustable Voltage from +/- 1.25-15V
-Adjustable Current (0-1A/rail)
-Digital Voltage and Current readouts for each rail. 4 displays total.
-High quality and rugged

The volt and ammeters I will be making myself with some good old ICL7107s. Two configured for voltage, two for current.

I really want to keep it as physically thin as possible. My bench is only about 2.5 in depth, so my test equipment needs to be pretty shallow....I'll just have to be creative. The transformer can be bolted vertically or something.

Also I plan on building this all on proto-board. Don't have the equipment yet for printing my own and it's just a power supply...though the Digital readouts should be fun. 40-pin DIP...yaay....
----------------

One question: I'm trying to base the current limiting section off of this. http://www.extremecircuits.net/2010/05/adjustable-current-limit-for-dual-power.html

Does this circuit's limiting function work as in 0-1A overall...or 0-1A on each rail? Originally I thought it was overall, but after looking at it, it seems that is is per rail...which would be good and means I don't have to modify anything. If it's 1A between the two rails, then I'm going to have to make some changes.

Thanks a lot!

hacklordsniper:
Your bench is 75 cm deep ? That should be enough space for even analog scope

FenderBender:
Well you made me actually go measure it. it's 23inches..so 58cm. Yes I could put a huge old scope on there...but it's only about a meter and a half wide of working space. So it's a small bench.

IanB:
Do some careful calculations regarding the realistic maximum voltage you can expect from your power supply. See here for example:

http://ludens.cl/Electron/Ps20/Ps20.html

This is an excellent article by someone else posting on these forums.

hacklordsniper:

--- Quote from: FenderBender on November 17, 2011, 04:34:27 am ---Well you made me actually go measure it. it's 23inches..so 58cm. Yes I could put a huge old scope on there...but it's only about a meter and a half wide of working space. So it's a small bench.

--- End quote ---

Oh yes, 60 cm deep is kinda too little. Well enlarge bench or make smaller test gear :)

Good luck with the project

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version