Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

Suzuki TS185/TS250 CDI Box Replication [Update](Again)

(1/7) > >>

jeffheath:
I know you guys aren’t “bikers” but I feel as though posting here is my best bet at making this info
“visible” on the net for those who need it.
I feel this is important because for these models of bikes, no replacements are currently made, and
owners are depending on 40 year old brain boxes to keep their bikes running.
(I tried 4 different readily available 5 pin AC CDI boxes from ebay, and all were way off timing)

Basically, I have successfully “replicated” a CDI box for Suzuki TS185/TS250 motorcycles. My main
goal was crack one open, figure a circuit diagram, find modern replacements for all components, and
arrange them according to the circuit.
I wanted all components to be easily available from Mouser (although I’m sure they would be just as
easy to find anywhere else)
In the schematic below, you will find manufacturer part numbers for all components to avoid confusion.
For the discharge capacitor, I used a Panasonic metallized polyester, the part number for which is ECQ-E6225JF.
(C4 on schematic)

Thyristor, (Q2), Part number VS-30TPS12LHM3
SCR, (Q1), Part number BT169D,116
Zener, (D3), Part number TZX10C-TR
Diodes are part number 1N5623GP-E3/54

My particular bike is a 74, but this should work on most TS185/250s. The engine seems to be doing fine so far,
but I will continue to test it and see how it goes.

[Update] Thought I would add the gerber and schematic files, the gerber files should be in the zip file, and should be everything needed to get a pcb made. I've also included the cad files for the case, for anyone who needs to make this cdi box themselves or make it better!
[Another Update] Added a parts list since someone mentioned it, includes part numbers for every component.

m3vuv:
well done,i had same issues on a yam xs-750 a few years ago.

jeffheath:
Thanks, it's just that I've seen people restore these bikes to the hilt, but still use a 40 year old cdi box. I just don't understand how they're okay with that. ???

m3vuv:
they will be ok with it untill the day they have to push it home with no spark! lol,73 m3vuv.

joeqsmith:

--- Quote from: jeffheath on September 05, 2018, 08:27:34 am ---I know you guys aren’t “bikers” ...

--- End quote ---

https://youtu.be/6PpAJeAurr4

https://youtu.be/bAJ8AY-cOUQ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version