Author Topic: Tear down of an Assembleon/Philips P&P head  (Read 4868 times)

Offline KjeltTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Tear down of an Assembleon/Philips P&P head
« on: August 25, 2017, 05:35:14 pm »
So a couple of months ago when visiting my favorite metal scrapyard, I stumbled upon an Assembleon FCM P&P machine.
It was huge, somewhere about one and a half stationwagon, it had IIRC 16 P&P heads next to eachother and they could move in the Y direction only, X direction was the pcb transport I guess.
So my guess was that each head had a feeder and was only placing that single component while the PCB would travel in the X direction through the machine.

First I looked if there were any feeders present but those were gone or probably not supplied by the previous owner.
Since I am always thinking about some day building my own simple semi automatic P&P machine I asked the owners of the scrapyard if I could disassemble some parts that would be of my interest.
Unfortunately they first wanted to see if they could sell it as is.
If no buyer could be found they were going to disassemble it into parts and pieces.
Buying it myself was due to the lack of space in my garage and WAF no option. :(

So two times every month I visited the scrapyard and asked about the status, every time same answer, you have to be patient.
In the holidays they were closed and today when I returned the machine was gone!  :scared:
I asked them if it was sold and they told me that they tore it down a month ago and sold the linear guidelines, electronics, valves and motors to some interested parties  :'( .

Darnit I missed that one, and coming there for a couple of years this was the first machine I saw there so the chance of more of these opportunities is tiny.
Disapointed I went through the entire scrapyard looking if there were any leftbehinds for me and I did find a couple of P&P heads from the machine :)
They were in terrible condition, badly handled during disassembly, some very damaged, three heads have no nozzle on them, one has a bent tube so that can be scrapped, if only I was allowed to disassemble them myselves, oh well.

Still I hope to reuse them or salvage at least one from the ones I got, so I am looking for some schematics of this P&P head.
The manufacturer is Philips / Assembleon and the partnumber is PA 2760/61, any chance some reader of this forum has a schemtic of info on them?
Any information available would be very helpfull :)

I will tear one apart so that could hopefully also be some fun for the forum members, but since I do no video's (trust me you don't want to ;) ) i will write and post pictures.

Here is the head in action
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:43:43 pm by Kjelt »

The following users thanked this post: daqq

• Super Contributor
Re: Tear down of an Assembleon/Philips P&P head
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 05:39:46 pm »
Interesting parts and what I already found out:

There are three pressure inputs, one for the vacuum of the head, one for pressure which feeds a piston which extends the tube with the head (places the component).
The third is marked max 0,7bar for cleaning.

I do not feel any spring mechanism in the head so when it is a pressure piston I wonder how they solved that or the distance to the pcb had to be very precise.
The nozzle is not exchangeable it looks like brass/copper and is permanently fixed to the tube.

There is a servo motor at least a 30VDC motor (PARVEX RS108SR5007) with optical encoder that rotates the tube of the nozzle.
There is a small pcb attached to the servomotor, looks like most are standard components, have to look when tearing it down.

There is on the bottom a laser from Cyberoptics, model LAM 10-1 probably partalignment but since it only has a single connector.
Googling a bit it needs a laserpowersupply probably communicate over the same interface.
It has two patents pending:  4,615,093 and 5,897,611 so I can and will check those out :) .

4,615,093 : Method and an apparatus for the positioning of components with reference to a workpiece
5,897,611 : High precision semiconductor component alignment systems

Just gazing quickly it reveals these have a sensorarray and laser and can determine the position of the component.

Since the 16 heads are moving all in Y direction only, they probably needed sensors/cameras for each head, cost no object apparently.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:51:18 pm by Kjelt »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 05:41:21 pm »
First tearing down the bottom plate reveiling one of the bearings for the head.

Get the belt of the motor and unscrewing the pulley reveals the second bearing.

Opening a side panel the first mystery component shows it self in a cnc machined compartment.

It has no markings but is mounted on a ceramic carrier with 4 pins.
A small hole in the plastick package gives a clue combined with the fact that there is a rubberseal and it connects to the innerpressure or vacuum part my best guess is that it is a pressure sensor.

I am very impressed with the construction quality.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:58:24 pm by Kjelt »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 05:49:21 pm »
The tube of the head can come off now revealing two pressure and vacuum connectors that go inside the holder.
As always a Philips 12nc number shows up 4022 526 22872, they number everything , back in the day each transistor, perhaps even every bolt had a 12nc number.
If you ever saw a technical manual from the 80s from a Philips device then you know exactly what I mean.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:05:17 pm by Kjelt »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 06:00:57 pm »
Noticed the green wire coming out of the bend head?
Pulling it revealed a cleaning brush !  :-DD

At least a sign this head was not operational when turned in to the scrapyard.
I wanted to take it further apart but ran into a problem on the top there is some kind of washer and a ring that needs tools like watchmakers have.  :-//

No idea how to continue with this. Since the head inside is bent it is useless as it is. Any ideas advice is welcome to go further with disassemby of the tube.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:08:40 pm by Kjelt »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 06:05:33 pm »
Now the servo and pcb can come apart.
Everything is soldered onto the pcb so unsoldering the optical encoder and the motor revealed the bare pcb.

Just as I was thinking highly of the build quality a PIC 16F84 shows up. ;)
Not to hurt the Microchip fanclub but I had expected something more fancy/dedicated.
Oh well if it does the job why would you make it more fancy.

Notice again the 12nc topright corner dead give away about a Philips product, also the philips parts for the 74... series
Other components on there from upper left to right:
74HC125 (2x), 93LC66, 74HC14D, Tl431C, 74HCT139, TLV2254

So now I am hoping one of the readers has the schematic or I have to reverse engineer the pcb or built my own driver, not sure what is wisest.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:17:39 pm by Kjelt »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 06:15:09 pm »
To end the fotos for now, the motor and optical encoder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 07:22:31 pm »
What about that laser part orientation device you say? Yup right you are, lets take it apart.
The laserunit is a tough cookie.
Aluminium sticker and underit surprise surprise a pcb.

The pcb seconds as lid of the aluminium casing.
It is glued on top and took some time to get off.

n that pcb(A) under the REV A sticker there is a MACH210AQ-15 High-Density EE CMOS Programmable Logic from Lattice having 64 Macrocells.
Also a Raytheon TMC1175A which is a Video A/D converter which means there is some sort of camera or sensor inside this thing after all.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 07:24:34 pm »
Following the flexcable there is yet another place with components (B) with some analog components probably the laserdiode driver which can be seen glued to the casing in the bottom,

Further down, there is a large ceramic carrier probably containing the camera/sensorarray but this is glued so tight that I am unable to open it further.

Pretty impressive technology for 1994 :)

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 07:36:22 pm »
Awesome! Thanks for the photos!
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Retep

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 09:00:22 pm »
The Pick&Place head appears to be from a FCM-II machine. AssemblĂ©on has been sold to Kullicke and Soffa (http://www.kns.com/). The Pick&Place machines are still  developed and assembled in Eindhoven. So if you are really motivated you might try your luck there to get more information about those parts. However I'm not sure if there are still many people there that are still familiar with the FCM-II; the FCM-II is from the late nineties and was replaced around 2004 by the AX series, and in the last decade there have been many reorganizations and layoffs in the AssemblĂ©on organization.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 09:15:23 pm »
I believe these laser alignment things worked by rotating the part until it cast the shortest shadow. 
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 08:47:28 pm »
No idea how to continue with this. Since the head inside is bent it is useless as it is. Any ideas advice is welcome to go further with disassemby of the tube.
So I took it to the mechanical workshop at my work and with three persons, one holding the tube, one holding the magnifying glass and one getting the ring of the axis it took us 15 minutes to get the ring off  :)
Then there was another little locking bit (part C on the pictures) that needed pressing and the piston and all its parts came off.

In short the working, the head of the piston with the two nipples one for pressure and one for vacuum is seperated in two compartments by a radial (or is it axial?) bearing.
The vacuum goes through two small holes into the shaft connected to the p&p nozzle and the pressure goes through 4 holes in the piston head assembly to the piston itself.

Pretty neat construction.
To lock the p&p nozzletube to the pistonhead there is this plastick part sticking out (A) and gliding in the opening of the pistonhead (B).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 08:50:27 pm »
I believe these laser alignment things worked by rotating the part until it cast the shortest shadow. 
Thanks I think the patents describe exactly that. The laserparts are actually pretty useless without the driver and software.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 02:30:36 pm »
The functioning can be seen in this video at 0:16 seconds

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 03:08:25 pm »
NEW mystery piston.
I thought one of the pressure nipples was for cleaning as the sticker suggested, however that was the vacuum nozzles input and could be cleaned by reversing from vaccuum to pressure.
So where was the third nipple for?
A mystery piston expanded (third picture) , I have no clue what it is for, perhaps calibration or alignment of the nozzle changer ?  :-//
Does anyone here has any information what this piston would do in operation of the Assembleon FCM-II P&P machine?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 03:10:06 pm by Kjelt »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 05:13:55 pm »
So the last two days I have reverse engineered the pcb from : https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/tear-down-of-an-assembleonphilips-pp-head/msg1288011/#msg1288011

I hoped it contained some hardware to interface with the optical encoder to help the microcontroller but nothing of the sort.
Attached is the schematic in Eagle 6 it is very raw because I just place the parts and draw the lines as I measured them, I did a bit of cleaning up but not much.
Still it is clear what is happening except for the analog part that is not my strong suit and I do not exactly understand the opamp section.

In short:

X3 is the ISCP bus for flashing the micro.

X1_8 en X1_9 are inputs that selects through D5B four possible states:

Y0 This is what I now call the Idle state, eprom is disabled, X1_6 and X1_7 are gnd.
Y1 The "microcontroller communication" state, eprom is disabled X1_6 and X1_7 are connected to pins B4 and B3 of the microcontroller.

Y2 This is the "eprom write" state, eprom is enabled,  X1_6 is connected to the DataIn  of the eprom en X1_7 to the clock of the eprom.
Y3 The "eprom read" state, eprom is enabled, X1_6 is connected to the DataOut of the eprom en X1_7 to the clock of the eprom.

Why the external device has to read and write the eprom is unclear for me, it could be calibration data for the microcontroller or it could some form of copyright protection, i dunno, I don't have the external device so that will remain a riddle for now.

The only thing the microcontroller has to do AFAICT is tracking the output of the vacuum sensor.
The analog part of the schematic is still a mystery for me, I need some simulation tool to see what is going on there.
AFAICT the TL431 turns the 5V input to a 3,3V voltage for the vacuum sensor and a 2,5V reference voltage for N1A.
N1B is a non inverting amplifier with 1,012 Gain and then I get stuck.
Oh well to be continued, first celebrate the new year  :)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 06:54:54 pm »
Attached is the schematic in Eagle 6
Can you add a PDF for those without Eagle..?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 08:37:44 pm »
Can you add a PDF for those without Eagle..?
Ofcourse Mike here you go  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf